Curious Defensive Scheme Decisions | Syracusefan.com

Curious Defensive Scheme Decisions

shandeezy7

Living Legend
I noticed several times in the game last night when Wake Forest was in obvious passing situations and Chandler Jones was either not on the field or lined up in the DT position. What's the deal with this? Don't you want your best pass rusher on the field and in the best position to get at the QB in obvious passing situations?

I was also screaming at the top of my lungs when Wake converted those two 4th and short plays and we lined NO ONE up over the center and the LBs were at least 3 to 4 yards off the line of scrimmage. How did they expect to stop WF from converting that???

Additionally, the Defense looked very confused out there when they were lining up for plays, like half of them didn't know where they needed to be positioned or what play they were even running. There were more than a few times that WF snapped the ball and we had 2 or 3 guys out of position. Hopefully this can just be chalked up to first game jitters and inexperience.

Oh and PS, Philip Thomas needs to keep his damn eyes out of the backfield and stop biting on play action. He did it more than a few times last year and got burned and I would have thought he would have learned his lesson this time around. Apparently not, as it cost us twice last night.

Chandler or Ball typically line up at the nose in the Okie package. It puts more speed on the DL in passing situations

In the Okie package, neither Jones or Ball get any push in the middle. I would throw Crume in there and at least let him collapse the pocket a little bit. That way, the DE's would have a way better chance of getting to the QB.

In the Okie package, neither Jones or Ball get any push in the middle. I would throw Crume in there and at least let him collapse the pocket a little bit. That way, the DE's would have a way better chance of getting to the QB.

That's the problem. It looked like Jones got manhandled every time he lined up in the DT position.

based on last night it looks like Brandon Sharpe is once again the best pass rusher - he was doing a great job applying pressure

based on last night it looks like Brandon Sharpe is once again the best pass rusher - he was doing a great job applying pressure

I like the idea of Jones inside with Sharpe getting on the field. Hopefully Jones' quickness will allow him to wreak some havoc from in there. Also, I will not stand for anyone criticizing Shafer, who I basically revere like lombardi.

Whatever is effective I'm for and I trust Shafer to know what that is.

I'm not a big fan of the Okie package with Jones at DT either. It invites the opportunity for draws resulting in huge gains up the middle (since the o-line can get to the next level and block our small LBs), and like someone else pointed out he gets no push up the middle. If he was a Kevin Mitchel type that could use his quickness to penetrate into the backfield I would feel differently. It also seems to me that if our bigger DT were occupying o-linemen it would allow blitzers to come less encumbered. Just my two cents.

The thing is, it's not new. They lined Jones up at DT a lot last year in the Okie package. They do it more for speed purposes rather than strength. Sometimes you can gain an advantage on centers and guards by throwing a faster guy in there. Plus it gives them more options on the types of blitzes they can run.

I'm not a big fan of the Okie package with Jones at DT either. It invites the opportunity for draws resulting in huge gains up the middle (since the o-line can get to the next level and block our small LBs), and like someone else pointed out he gets no push up the middle. If he was a Kevin Mitchel type that could use his quickness to penetrate into the backfield I would feel differently. It also seems to me that if our bigger DT were occupying o-linemen it would allow blitzers to come less encumbered. Just my two cents.

I don't really understand the point of the okie. The defense is already undersized and fast. Davis is really a glorified strong safety out there. I'd rather see a true d-tackle, flanked by two defensive ends (or simply add sharpe and move marinovich inside).

As someone who played O-Line, when you face one guy all game, you sort of get in a rhythm and you figure out their tendencies. Mixing up d-linemen, and going from a DT to someone as different stylistically as Chandler can really be tough for some guys.

When Chandler was in the middle, they were also stunting him a lot. I saw a lot of stunts with the D-End there. I was actually very impressed by ball (was he 95?). I thought he had a good motor and used his hands very well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom