Current Best Five? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Current Best Five?

My starting lineup: Joe and Buddy are interchangeable, assuming both are at the traditional “2,” meaning Joe doesn’t have to be the general. Same D, same shooting. Either is as likely to go off for a bunch of threes.

But I’d really love to have Griffin as a 2 instead.
Ideally,
PG: Kid-@ri
SG: Professah Griff
SF: Marek + I’ll take the Zero” New’N.
PF: Quincy
C: Mashed Potato(e) Knees

This team would beat any team with both Buddy and Joe

Not enough shooting.

This is going to change from game to game, or injury by injury, cold spell by cold spell, over the course of the season.

But right now, to me, heading into our first two games against P5 opponents, I really like these combinations of players:

BEST FIVE WITHOUT BUDDY AND SIDIBE:

G: Kadary
G: Joe
F: Griffin
F: Guerrier
C: Marek

BEST FIVE WITH BUDDY BUT NO SIDIBE:

G: Buddy
F: Quincy

BEST FIVE WITH EVERYONE HEALTHY AGAINST ELITE TEAMS:

F: Dolezaj
C: Sidibe

BEST FIVE FOR SCORING:

G: Joe
F: Woody

BEST FIVE FOR PRESS:

G: Woody
G: Griffin
F: Braswell
C: Anselem
Interesting best 5 for scoring Woody over QG. I would like to see this lineup for a bit and best 5 for the press if Sidibe is healthy I think I would take him as a SR. with experience over Frank not having Kadary in the lineup would hurt us because we wouldn't have a natural ballhandler that run the fast break off the steals.

Bras/Edwards are the odd men out it looks like to me. Ajak is the 10th man.
Poor Braswell really blew it by missing so many shots the 1st 3 games I like the kid a lot he has some decent skills but this team is very deep at both the forward spots and I'm afraid BB is on the outside looking in , he is a redshirt soph. that understands his role but what a great 3rd stringer to have especially in practice where I am sure at times he has his moments. As for Jesse he is really stuck around that 3rd to 4th string , next year when Sid and Marek depart maybe Jesse can move up the depth chart.

Interesting best 5 for scoring Woody over QG. I would like to see this lineup for a bit and best 5 for the press if Sidibe is healthy I think I would take him as a SR. with experience over Frank not having Kadary in the lineup would hurt us because we wouldn't have a natural ballhandler that run the fast break off the steals.

For sure, if Sidibe's healthy, he's the guy back there. But that might be a month.

My starting lineup: Joe and Buddy are interchangeable, assuming both are at the traditional “2,” meaning Joe doesn’t have to be the general. Same D, same shooting. Either is as likely to go off for a bunch of threes.

But I’d really love to have Griffin as a 2 instead.
Ideally,
PG: Kid-@ri
SG: Professah Griff
SF: Marek + I’ll take the Zero” New’N.
PF: Quincy
C: Mashed Potato(e) Knees

This team would beat any team with both Buddy and Joe
I'll take successful ACC point guards for 100, Alex.
Kadary may be good, but Joe has done once.
I think Joe would be the first one to embrace some time off the ball, and on the bench.

Every lineup discussed needs KR at the point. He is already our best defender up top by far, and his hands, steals and distribution are absolutely needed for any press.

QG brings so much more to the table than Woody right now it isn't even funny, and I really do like what I see from Woody. QG can take the ball to the rack against ACC talent. He might not have great touch (yet), but he takes it strong and consistently gets fouled.

QG can play like grandmama at the college level. Woody has a lot more to prove - and that is understandable.

Last edited:
Top 5 for offense:
G -Joe
G - Buddy
F - Griffin
F - Guerrier
C - Marek

Top 5 for defense:
G - Kadary
G- Griffin
F - Marek
F - Guerrier
F - Sidibe

Top 5 overall:
G - Kadary
G - Buddy
F - Griffin
F - Guerrier
C - Marek

JB has more options for rotations than we've seen for a long time. I'd love to see the top 8 players (includes Newton) get worked in regularly so no one has to play gassed.

Poor Braswell really blew it by missing so many shots the 1st 3 games I like the kid a lot he has some decent skills but this team is very deep at both the forward spots and I'm afraid BB is on the outside looking in , he is a redshirt soph. that understands his role but what a great 3rd stringer to have especially in practice where I am sure at times he has his moments. As for Jesse he is really stuck around that 3rd to 4th string , next year when Sid and Marek depart maybe Jesse can move up the depth chart.
Point of order here. BB is Buddy. RB is Bobby Bras. Sorry, that's just the established rule.

Griffen is a scorer and won’t be denied. Confident, athletic, and unafraid! Take him in my foxhole anytime!

Griffen is a scorer and won’t be denied. Confident, athletic, and unafraid! Take him in my foxhole anytime!
Griffen has proven to be a fast starter, at least with regard to scoring. He seems to slow down scoring in the second half. Small sample size, but I think it was like this in all three games, so far.

Every lineup discussed needs KR at the point. He is already our best defender up top by far, and his hands, steals and distribution are absolutely needed for any press.

QG brings so much more to the table than Woody right now it isn't even funny, and I really do like what I see from Woody. QG can take the ball to the rack against ACC talent. He might not have great touch (yet), but he takes it strong and consistently gets fouled.

QG can play like grandmama at the college level. Woody has a lot more to prove - and that is understandable.

Good points. I try to temper the enthusiasm a bit on KR, but I hear what you're saying.

I agree that Guerrier is a more complete and more necessary player than Woody, but Woody gives us an electric jolt when he comes in. The kid knows how to play, too.

Griffen has proven to be a fast starter, at least with regard to scoring. He seems to slow down scoring in the second half. Small sample size, but I think it was like this in all three games, so far.

All the more reason to play them in spurts, and go with the hot hand.
We have a several guys who can make those shots now (at least four now, as opposed to two before).

Thought it was interesting in Moten’s appearance on Devendorf’s podcast today - he mentioned the 3 freshmen as guys he really liked. Talked about Kadary and how crafty he is, where Devendorf chimed in, in agreement. Then he mentioned Woody, and then he mentioned how he thought Frank’s going to be good.