Curt Gowdy does the 1957 Cotton Bowl | Syracusefan.com

Curt Gowdy does the 1957 Cotton Bowl

SWC75

Bored Historian
I'm sure you've seen the official Cotton Bowl highlight film with Kern Tips, "Voice of the SWC" doing a colorful commentary but I found this on You-Tube: Curt Gowdy doing that game on the radio with his comments matched with film of the game and some still photos

I'm sure you've seen the official Cotton Bowl highlight film with Kern Tips, "Voice of the SWC" doing a colorful commentary but I found this on You-Tube: Curt Gowdy doing that game on the radio with his comments matched with film of the game and some still photos

Curt was 38 when he did this game.

Gotta check this out. I want to hear when he sounded like when he was a young whippersnapper...

He was the absolute best. Saturday baseball games with Tony Kubek and the feature NBC 4:00 football games on Sundays ( Mostly Oakland Raider games) . I think he had his own hunting show too if memory serves ( though I left that show to play ball of some kind outside)

Jerry Doggett was Vin Scully's Dodger broadcasting partner for more than 30 years.

Unfortunately, the plug got pulled on our offense and we lost to Pittsburgh and Army. But we came back later that season to beat U of Miami in the finale.

the American Sportsman.
Curt did so many American Sportsman fly fishing shows with Ted Williams as his guest that Teddy Ballgame was virtually a co-host for the show.

Curt did our earth shattering upset of Nebraska in 84
Thread Syracuse-Nebraska 1984 Syracuse-Nebraska 1984 I have no idea who's on color, it sounds like Len Dawson but I don't think it's him. I remember future 49er and SB champ Tom Rathman getting clocked, destroyed, laid out, blown up and his bell rung on the opening kickoff by one of our LBs, Derek Ward out of Connecticut. Knocked Rathman out of game and set the tone for the day. SYR beat up mighty Nebraska physically, Father, Son and Football - The Waterbury Observer

Last edited:
Curt did our earth shattering upset of Nebraska in 84
Thread 'Syracuse-Nebraska 1984' Syracuse-Nebraska 1984 I have no idea who's on color, it sounds like Len Dawson but I don't think it's him. I remember future 49er and SB champTom Rathman getting laid out, blown up and his bell rung on the opeming kickoff by one of our LBs, Derek Ward out of Connecticut. Knocked Rathman out of game and set the tone for the day. SYR beat up mighty Nebraska physically, Father, Son and Football - The Waterbury Observer

That's definitely Len Dawson.

Thanks for the link. Watched the whole thing.

The extensive use of yearbook photos and replays was funny to watch. The broadcasts were really primitive in those days.

We were by far the tougher and more physical team but almost totally one dimensional. Our passing plays were really bad. TCU had an amazingly sophisticated passing attack and a polished QB and that win the game for them.

Jim Brown was a tremendous talent. Wish we tried just one or two screens to him. At 212 pounds, I believe he was the heaviest starter on Syracuse. Some of the starting OL for SU didn’t even weigh 200 pounds.

We had a fine end named Lasse which Curt kept mentioning was a weight lifter, like it was some exotic hobby.

TCU had a RB who was the all time leader in rushing in the SWC. Swick looked like a decent player but nothing more. He ended up with something like 15 yards rushing in his career in the NFL.

Gowdy was okay at football but made a number of mistakes. Did not seem as comfortable or smooth as he was doing baseball in the 1970s.

The announcers that introduced me to baseball were Curt Gowdy and John Harmon and both were great at what they did.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. Watched the whole thing.

The extensive use of yearbook photos and replays was funny to watch. The broadcasts were really primitive in those days.

We were by far the tougher and more physical team but almost totally one dimensional. Our passing plays were really bad. TCU had an amazingly sophisticated passing attack and a polished QB and that win the game for them.

Jim Brown was a tremendous talent. Wish we tried just one or two screens to him. At 212 pounds, I believe he was the heaviest starter on Syracuse. Some of the starting OL for SU didn’t even weigh 200 pounds.

We had a fine end named Lasse which Curt kept mentioning was a weight lifter, like it was some exotic hobby.

TCU had a RB who was the all time leader in rushing in the SWC. Swick looked like a decent player but nothing more. He ended up with something like 15 yards rushing in his career in the NFL.

Gowdy was okay at football but made a number of mistakes. Did not seem as comfortable or smooth as he was doing baseball in the 1970s.

The announcers that introduced me to baseball were Curt Gowdy and John Harmon and both were great at what they did.

This was a radio broadcast matched to game film and still photos by the You-Tube poster. There are a lot of old games done in this fashion on You-Tube.

This was a radio broadcast matched to game film and still photos by the You-Tube poster. There are a lot of old games done in this fashion on You-Tube.
Okay. that makes more sense. Wish they just stayed with the original video broadcast and added the radio only in that case.

No need for showing those crappy pictures dozens of times.

I think I asked why they showed every play twice in my original post. Well, that was also something the boneheads that made this video imposed. Instant replay was invented in 1963 and introduced at the Army-Navy game that year.

Replaying every play was pretty irritating. Especially given it was a video that anyone with a brain in his head could go back and re-watch segments any time they wanted.

That said, it was better to watch than nothing. I enjoyed it. Just wish our coaches were a little better prepared to defend the pass and had a more progressive passing offense in place back then.

Okay. that makes more sense. Wish they just stayed with the video broadcast and added the radio only in that case. No need for showing those crappy pictures dozens of times. Did they really replay almost every play or was that something the people who made these TV/radio marriages did on their own?

Anyone know? I have never seen this approach. It was pretty irritating.

There was no instant replay until the 1964 Army-Navy game.

There was no instant replay until the 1964 Army-Navy game.
A little late and almost right. It was December 7th, 1963.

It was Bing Crosby of all people that drove most of this technological development.

Here is the 1963 Navy-Army game. The play in question occurs at 46:53. There's no replay of the score because this is undoubtedly the coach's film of the game, not the wiped TV broadcast. But, anyway, that was the play used for the first ever instant replay. I'm sure I've seen it in a documentary on the history of college football or sports broadcasting but they must have used the coach's film to re-create it, (show a clip from the coach's film twice).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom