Class of 2014 - Curtis Samuel | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Curtis Samuel

To say it makes no difference is as crazy as saying it makes all the difference.

Just listen to the kids who go to Oregon - they say its a part of it. It may not make sense to us - but I'm not 17 and in a completely different culture.

You can rag on a kid and call him a moron if you want - but if its important to the kid, your opinion doesn't matter at all.
No. they go to Oregon for the ridiculous facilities and because Chip Kelly was paying guys like Will Lyles under the table to get kids there.

No. they go to Oregon for the ridiculous facilities and because Chip Kelly was paying guys like Will Lyles under the table to get kids there.
...and that's one of the reasons Chip left when he did.

Well the truth is that we win most of the battles for the NYC kids that we pursue. Unfortunately, we've lost a few battles for high profile players (i.e. Ebo, Williams) over the last few years and that seems to be all many here remember.

I'll take players like Brandon Reddish, Jeremiah Kobena, Wayne Morgan and Wayne Williams any day but apparently for many here they're not up to snuff. Misery loves company.

Don't forget Jay "Nut Up" Bromley, can't wait to see him wreak havoc on offensive lines this year.

ya it's nice to have cool uniforms when you are already committed to a school that has some of the best facilities in the country, but do you think the same kids would end up at the same school if they had slightly below average facilities, and a small fan base?... but oh wait they have several alternate uni's. what they are saying after the fact has little to do with their decision. i mean if that's all you have to do to attract kids it seems like quite a small investment. maybe New Mexico St will break out some sweet new uniforms next year and reel in a top 40 recruiting class.

Probably a bit over the top, no? I didn't say it's the only reason or even a top 5 reason. I was responding to the comment that it doesn't matter at all and a kid is a moron if it factors into the decision. That's plainly a wrong opinion.

Appearance matters. When you buy a car, do you factor the appearance into your decision making? I do. After safety, reliability, brand, gas mileage, value, etc? If you bought a car solely on how it looked you'd be a moron (or 17), but I digress.

Uni's matter as a part of the whole, maybe what like 5%? But to say it doesn't matter at all is crazy.

Not at all? The Nike culture/brand plays into it. Under the table payments are probably what 70% to the brand/uni's 5%? But again - it matters.

Alabama too...who would have thought?

That's my point. It's not just the Nike/Oregon thing. There is a classic, historic look that serves the same purpose. Those programs take pride and pay attention to their uni's in a different - but still effective way.

Car analogy again - When you go to car show - there are cars that look like they are the future and there are the classics. Both have an appealing visual aesthetic.

Why do recruits take pictures of the swag and of themselves in a uni? I've read countless threads on this forum about not just the function of an IPF - but of how it looks. The hallways of Manley got a visual update. The Dome has undergone many purely aesthetic changes over the last 7-10 years. You know why all of that matters? Branding. To belong among the elite, you need to look elite - give the appearance of elite.
Agreed?

Uni's a part of that. A part of the sell job. Parents care about education and giving their kids the best step towards their future. Kids care about the NFL, their futures, and about relationships. All of that stuff is wrapped in the bow of how things look. Quality begets quality.

But go ahead and dismiss it as not being important. I'm just glad there are people on the hill who do. Starting at the top.

Dude, you're off to a terrible start here...not quite EDSPARTAN bad, but bad nonetheless.

Maryland blows...uniforms make absolutely no difference.
Maryland blows for sure.. but that kid Diggs is Heisman level talent.

That's my point. It's not just the Nike/Oregon thing. There is a classic, historic look that serves the same purpose. Those programs take pride and pay attention to their uni's in a different - but still effective way.

Car analogy again - When you go to car show - there are cars that look like they are the future and there are the classics. Both have an appealing visual aesthetic.

Why do recruits take pictures of the swag and of themselves in a uni? I've read countless threads on this forum about not just the function of an IPF - but of how it looks. The hallways of Manley got a visual update. The Dome has undergone many purely aesthetic changes over the last 7-10 years. You know why all of that matters? Branding. To belong among the elite, you need to look elite - give the appearance of elite.
Agreed?

Uni's a part of that. A part of the sell job. Parents care about education and giving their kids the best step towards their future. Kids care about the NFL, their futures, and about relationships. All of that stuff is wrapped in the bow of how things look. Quality begets quality.

But go ahead and dismiss it as not being important. I'm just glad there are people on the hill who do. Starting at the top.
No one has dismissed anything!

Imo, our uniforms are among the best in college football. SU losing a recruiting battle here and there has nothing to do with our uniforms. It has far more to do with being irrelevant for nearly a decade which was initiated by under-funded obsolete facilities.

Thanks to TGD and DM, many improvements have been made to the facilities and the product on the field. Hopefully the ground-breaking for the IPF happens sooner rather than later. All things being equal I'll take our "classic, historic look" any day over some of the ridiculous renditions I've seen. (BTW, I'm all for an alternative uniform as discussed here)

You say "quality begets quality" well, that leads me to the classic chicken/egg argument. I could just as easily suggest that "money begets quality" ...see Oregon/Phil Knight connection. Without Nike contributing to their sparkling new facilities, Oregon would still be a bottom feeder in the PAC 12 with ugly new uniforms.

Alabama, LSU, Mich, O$U, Oklahoma amongs others, all have revenue streams we'll never achieve, but stick to their traditional uniforms.

For sure...but did he choose to be a Terp because of their uni's? ;-)
Lol, doubt it. To further you post, I have no idea why anyone would choose to play for Maryland and Edsall...unless of course, you were a LB and wanted to moonlight as a QB...but everyone makes mistakes...

No one has dismissed anything!

Imo, our uniforms are among the best in college football. SU losing a recruiting battle here and there has nothing to do with our uniforms. It has far more to do with being irrelevant for nearly a decade which was initiated by under-funded obsolete facilities.

Thanks to TGD and DM, many improvements have been made to the facilities and the product on the field. Hopefully the ground-breaking for the IPF happens sooner rather than later. All things being equal I'll take our "classic, historic look" any day over some of the ridiculous renditions I've seen. (BTW, I'm all for an alternative uniform as discussed here)

You say "quality begets quality" well, that leads me to the classic chicken/egg argument. I could just as easily suggest that "money begets quality" ...see Oregon/Phil Knight connection. Without Nike contributing to their sparkling new facilities, Oregon would still be a bottom feeder in the PAC 12 with ugly new uniforms.

Alabama, LSU, Mich, O$U, Oklahoma amongs others, all have revenue streams we'll never achieve, but stick to their traditional uniforms.

Above, you said uniforms make absolutely no difference. That reads like you dismissed it.

Quality does cost money. That's why we're all excited about the ACC and our AD. Vision plus $, should equate to some recruiting wins - outside of the most important thing, winning.

I'm not saying coaches, academics, buildings, reputation, etc - matter less than Uni's. That would be insane. But it is a part of the whole package. I guarantee you it plays at least a little bit into a decision.

You guys were arguing black and white, while I was pointing out the gray. In recruiting - everything matters.

Above, you said uniforms make absolutely no difference. That reads like you dismissed it.

Quality does cost money. That's why we're all excited about the ACC and our AD. Vision plus $, should equate to some recruiting wins - outside of the most important thing, winning.

I'm not saying coaches, academics, buildings, reputation, etc - matter less than Uni's. That would be insane. But it is a part of the whole package. I guarantee you it plays at least a little bit into a decision.

You guys were arguing black and white, while I was pointing out the gray. In recruiting - everything matters.
Point taken.

I can guarantee you that if uni's are on a recruit's checklist...it's near or at the bottom. I'd venture to guess that for most...it's not even a consideration.

I was just making the point, major recruits factor...wins, fan base and uniforms. Maybe not the kids you grew up around in Syracuse but all those kids that live out west and down south look at unis...if unis didn't matter teams wouldn't have so many. Yeah its not a major factor, but a factor.

Probably a bit over the top, no? I didn't say it's the only reason or even a top 5 reason. I was responding to the comment that it doesn't matter at all and a kid is a moron if it factors into the decision. That's plainly a wrong opinion.

Appearance matters. When you buy a car, do you factor the appearance into your decision making? I do. After safety, reliability, brand, gas mileage, value, etc? If you bought a car solely on how it looked you'd be a moron (or 17), but I digress.

Uni's matter as a part of the whole, maybe what like 5%? But to say it doesn't matter at all is crazy.

that's exactly my point. 5% isn't swaying any minds.

imagine if we can break out these bad boys again

syracuseorangeuniforms_display_image.jpg

Funny how each post disregards the part about wins and fan base, but everyone is talking about the unis, further showing how closed minded people can be..it is what it is!! Next topic

There is no way that the uniform has anything to do with recruiting, because I am a recruiting monster on NCAA 13 and there is no uniform designs on there to sway recruits. ;)

that's exactly my point. 5% isn't swaying any minds.

Agreed. I honestly think its a big mix of things. And SS has it right - the most important thing is relationships and wins.

Funny how each post disregards the part about wins and fan base, but everyone is talking about the unis, further showing how closed minded people can be..it is what it is!! Next topic

i don't think anybody disagrees that winning, and fan base support are crucial factors when it comes to recruiting.

Mike Locksley is the reason maryland has been recruiting well, not the uniforms. We need to try to find someone of that ilk for the NY/NJ area.

I was just making the point, major recruits factor...wins, fan base and uniforms. Maybe not the kids you grew up around in Syracuse but all those kids that live out west and down south look at unis...if unis didn't matter teams wouldn't have so many. Yeah its not a major factor, but a factor.
Playing Time, Academics, Distance from home, Facilities, Coaching Staff are all definitely over uniforms. That's not even close.