Cuse and Uconn with diffrent goals: | Syracusefan.com

Cuse and Uconn with diffrent goals:

gilardino

Starter
Our goal next year, be a top seed in NCAA, get to play 2 first games in Philly, and hopefully play in Brooklyn for the other 2. Also try and getback to a final four.

Uconn, they just need to stay out of the basement in teh big east, and hope they get to the CBI.

I personally feel this APR is a bunch of crap, total BS, be cuatious at laughng at UCONN, cause this could be us soon, and other programs. Not fair at all!!!!

UConn isn't eligible for the CBI.

It actually doesn't really matter. I'd rather suck and not have the "what-if" of having a good team ineligible for the postseason. At least there won't be any doubts.

The only team seemingly guaranteed to never have an APR issue is Kentucky. Shows how monumentally FUBAR'd the NCAA is.

i'm sorry I know others disagree but this APR is a load of crap. Every school wants their kids to go to class. calhoun isn't telling kids, school, don't worry about it. Even Cal wishes his kids went to school (well maybe not Cal). The kids do have a responsibility here. I bet every kid that has gone to UConn over the last 10 years has a job. Some played in europe, some the NBA, some went about their lives doing things outside of hoop. No one said a word when our former Ms America left school after winning or when Marv Albert left when he got a job in NYC. Maybe those that left were in good standing and maybe they weren't. I don't have a problem with standards. No problem that Fab was kicked off. Just wish we weren't the only school I can remember doing that.

i'm sorry I know others disagree but this APR is a load of crap. Every school wants their kids to go to class. calhoun isn't telling kids, school, don't worry about it. Even Cal wishes his kids went to school (well maybe not Cal). The kids do have a responsibility here. I bet every kid that has gone to UConn over the last 10 years has a job. Some played in europe, some the NBA, some went about their lives doing things outside of hoop. No one said a word when our former Ms America left school after winning or when Marv Albert left when he got a job in NYC. Maybe those that left were in good standing and maybe they weren't. I don't have a problem with standards. No problem that Fab was kicked off. Just wish we weren't the only school I can remember doing that.
Most people ignore how Calhoun runs his program, and that's what caused this.

You know what kills the APR? Transfers.

You know what doesn't kill the APR? Kids that come back to your school (since they have to be eligible to play anyway).

He's had a ridiculous amount of transfers in the past 5 years or so (we touched on this in another thread), that number is AT LEAST 10 players (before this mess) and might even be more. Calhoun gets rid of players in his program quicker than any other high profile coach in America, and it bit him in the ass.

I do think the APR is trash; but when 20% of your scholarship players the past 5 years transfer, this is what you get.

Most people ignore how Calhoun runs his program, and that's what caused this.

You know what kills the APR? Transfers.

You know what doesn't kill the APR? Kids that come back to your school (since they have to be eligible to play anyway).

He's had a ridiculous amount of transfers in the past 5 years or so (we touched on this in another thread), that number is AT LEAST 10 players (before this mess) and might even be more. Calhoun gets rid of players in his program quicker than any other high profile coach in America, and it bit him in the ass.

I do think the APR is trash; but when 20% of your scholarship players the past 5 years transfer, this is what you get.
2006:
Jerome Dyson-DID NOT GRADUATE
Curtis Kelley-TRANSFER
Ben Eaves-TRANSFER
Hasheem Thabeet-NBA DRAFT
Stanley Robinson-NBA DRAFT
Gavin Edwards-GRADUATED (I'm not sure about him, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt)
Doug Wiggins-TRANSFER
Jonathan Mandledove-DID NOT GRADUATE

2007:
Donnel Beverly-GRADUATED

2008:
Ater Majok-NBA DRAFT
Scottie Haralson-TRANSFER
Kemba Walker-NBA DRAFT (did graduate though)
Nate Miles-TRANSFER

2009:
Darius Smith-TRANSFER
Jamal Trice-TRANSFER
Jamal Coombs-McDaneil-TRANSFER
Alex Oriahki-TRANSFER

2010:
Jeremy Lamb-NBA DRAFT
Michael Bradley-TRANSFER
Roscoe Smith-TRANSFER
Tyler Olander/Shabazz Napier-Still in school

So since 2006, UConn has had 23 players come to Storrs;
- 11 of those players have transferred (47%)
- 5 of those players went to the NBA
- 2 of those players did not graduate
- 2 of those players are still in school
- 3 of those players graduated (I'm counting Edwards in this)

So that's why UConn's APR is horrible; you can blame the rules if you want, but when you're 3/23 (at best it will be 5/23 in 2 years), you're gonna pay.

2006:
Curtis Kelley-TRANSFER
Ben Eaves-TRANSFER
Gavin Edwards-GRADUATED (I'm not sure about him, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt)
Doug Wiggins-TRANSFER

2007:
Donnel Beverly-GRADUATED

2008:
Ater Majok-NBA DRAFT
Nate Miles-TRANSFER

2009:
Darius Smith-TRANSFER
Jamal Trice-TRANSFER
Alex Oriahki-TRANSFER

2010:
Jeremy Lamb-NBA DRAFT
Michael Bradley-TRANSFER
Roscoe Smith-TRANSFER

So that's why UConn's APR is horrible; you can blame the rules if you want, but when you're 3/23 (at best it will be 5/23 in 2 years), you're gonna pay.

Good point for sure. But knowing we are on the hairy edge of the APR banning us as well, even though we have had nothing as severe as this, shows how messed up it is.

Every time I hear JB trash the APR and the NCAA's rules on this, I wince.
I get the uneasy feeling that JB thinks we could be next.

The APR is nothing but a charade, rather then focusing on the fact , that the people responsible for the golden cow are not really in school to be students. The NCAA creates a fake standard, whereby schools like Kentucky can bring in 5 players every year, and never graduate anyone, but the NCAA can say they were on pace to graduate.

The APR is nothing but a charade, rather then focusing on the fact , that the people responsible for the golden cow are not really in school to be students. The NCAA creates a fake standard, whereby schools like Kentucky can bring in 5 players every year, and never graduate anyone, but the NCAA can say they were on pace to graduate.
If the NCAA punishes colleges for players declaring for the draft, you'd have major issues, but mainly;
1. Colleges would start not recruiting 1-and-doner's; which would lead to a lot of those kids either going to prep school or overseas, then coming back over the draft. In a few years it could lead to most top 10 recruits not even playing a second of college ball.
2. By punishing colleges, you're basically preventing these kids from making money.

2006:
Curtis Kelley-TRANSFER
Ben Eaves-TRANSFER
Doug Wiggins-TRANSFER

2007:
Donnel Beverly-GRADUATED

2008:
Ater Majok-NBA DRAFT
Nate Miles-TRANSFER

2009:
Darius Smith-TRANSFER
Jamal Trice-TRANSFER
Alex Oriahki-TRANSFER

2010:
Jeremy Lamb-NBA DRAFT
Michael Bradley-TRANSFER
Roscoe Smith-TRANSFER

I didn't read all of this so I have no idea how accurate it is overall, but Dyson graduated.

I didn't read all of this so I have no idea how accurate it is overall, but Dyson graduated.
Not being a fact policeman just checking your dates a tad. I believe 2012 for Lamb, Bradley, and Smith... as well as Oriahki (Missouri this year). Kemba in 2011. I think you are off by a year or two. But your point is made at least in part. They have had many transfers. But does that effect the APR. Depends.
The APR will only be effected if the student leaving is not in good standing with the University/college (ala Fab): that is he would be ineligible to return b/c of grades or eligibility to transfer. If their grades were insufficient to remain at UConn I doubt that the schools would 1) take them or 2) be able to take them until their grades are remediated. Altho they are transferring they will complete the semester at UConn I assume. The players still must meet the academic standards of the college to which they are transferring ... just like any other student.
The student/players that make the most impact on the APR are those that leave early for the draft and do not complete the semester (ala Flynn, Greene, Fab) making them ineligible to return b/c they blew off classes. Dion is, reportedly, completing the semester so he will be a positive for our APR. Fab, according to other threads is attempting to return to good standing via correspondence (or whatever) which, if credits are transferrable, would be a positive for our APR.
The other group that would negatively impact APR are those student/athletes who just weren't cutting it academically (ala Fab) or are having other "issues" and just cut out early and disappear and never finish the semester.

Not being a fact policeman just checking your dates a tad. I believe 2012 for Lamb, Bradley, and Smith... as well as Oriahki (Missouri this year). Kemba in 2011. I think you are off by a year or two. But your point is made at least in part. They have had many transfers. But does that effect the APR. Depends.
The APR will only be effected if the student leaving is not in good standing with the University/college (ala Fab): that is he would be ineligible to return b/c of grades or eligibility to transfer. If their grades were insufficient to remain at UConn I doubt that the schools would 1) take them or 2) be able to take them until their grades are remediated. Altho they are transferring they will complete the semester at UConn I assume. The players still must meet the academic standards of the college to which they are transferring ... just like any other student.
The student/players that make the most impact on the APR are those that leave early for the draft and do not complete the semester (ala Flynn, Greene, Fab) making them ineligible to return b/c they blew off classes. Dion is, reportedly, completing the semester so he will be a positive for our APR. Fab, according to other threads is attempting to return to good standing via correspondence (or whatever) which, if credits are transferrable, would be a positive for our APR.
The other group that would negatively impact APR are those student/athletes who just weren't cutting it academically (ala Fab) or are having other "issues" and just cut out early and disappear and never finish the semester.
The dates were by recruiting classes, not when they left UConn. I believe the minimum GPA to transfer is really really low (they're changing it).
I'm not sure exactly how the APR works, but UConn had an APR of 826 (the minimum is 925) in 09-10. That would have been the year of that Dyson/Robinson classes in which 1 of 8 players graduated at UConn (again, the 1 was Edwards and I'm not sure if actually did); but I think transferring affects the APR the most...

The dates were by recruiting classes, not when they left UConn. I believe the minimum GPA to transfer is really really low (they're changing it).
I'm not sure exactly how the APR works, but UConn had an APR of 826 (the minimum is 925) in 09-10. That would have been the year of that Dyson/Robinson classes in which 1 of 8 players graduated at UConn (again, the 1 was Edwards and I'm not sure if actually did); but I think transferring affects the APR the most...
You're clueless. You sure type a lot of words though.

I admitted I don't know a lot about the APR; but when you're 3/21 currently, you're going to have issues.

Care to back up what you're saying?

That was rude (Please no response necessary)
JDubs... thanks for the explanation as 2 recruiting class as opposed to last year there. Let me ask, tho. You cite an '09-'10 class APR of 826. Was that specifically for that year? Remember that the APR is a rolling average from previous years and does not reflect the present year. As you indicate tho 1/8 actually graduated. What happened to the other 7? That would most assuredly have impacted the APR if only 3/7 actually finished the semester.
This year their APR should not be impacted by the transfer of Oriakhi, Bradley, or Smith if they are transferring in good standing. I believe to be transfer eligible a minimum of 2.0 is typically the requirement for schools ... unless, I guess, they get an academic waiver from their own school. Their APR could be impacted by Lamb if he just leaves school (as many do) and goes into the draft without completing his coursework which would result in his not being in good academic standing with UConn. The same goes for here with Fab and Dion ... altho, as I have said, Fab and Dion are attempting to return to good academic standing (Dion was never out of good academic standing). Our APR was seriously impacted with Flynn, Harris and Devo leaving. While I am advised that Devo finished both Harris and Flynn did not leave in good academic standing (they stopped going to classes). Before transferring Sean Williams completed his semester coursework ... which didn't impact on our APR either negatively or positively.
If there is anybody out there that can better elucidate more fully please feel free to add on.

I believe Dyson graduated and Edwards didn't. However, they both could have been a couple credits short before they went on to pursue pro careers.

Also Charles Okwandu who played on the National Title team graduated as well.

That was rude (Please no response necessary)
JDubs... thanks for the explanation as 2 recruiting class as opposed to last year there. Let me ask, tho. You cite an '09-'10 class APR of 826. Was that specifically for that year? Remember that the APR is a rolling average from previous years and does not reflect the present year. As you indicate tho 1/8 actually graduated. What happened to the other 7? That would most assuredly have impacted the APR if only 3/7 actually finished the semester.
This year their APR should not be impacted by the transfer of Oriakhi, Bradley, or Smith if they are transferring in good standing. I believe to be transfer eligible a minimum of 2.0 is typically the requirement for schools ... unless, I guess, they get an academic waiver from their own school. Their APR could be impacted by Lamb if he just leaves school (as many do) and goes into the draft without completing his coursework which would result in his not being in good academic standing with UConn. The same goes for here with Fab and Dion ... altho, as I have said, Fab and Dion are attempting to return to good academic standing (Dion was never out of good academic standing). Our APR was seriously impacted with Flynn, Harris and Devo leaving. While I am advised that Devo finished both Harris and Flynn did not leave in good academic standing (they stopped going to classes). Before transferring Sean Williams completed his semester coursework ... which didn't impact on our APR either negatively or positively.
If there is anybody out there that can better elucidate more fully please feel free to add on.
I wish I knew. I have no idea.
I believe Dyson graduated and Edwards didn't. However, they both could have been a couple credits short before they went on to pursue pro careers.

Also Charles Okwandu who played on the National Title team graduated as well.
Good call on Okwandu, I looked at At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. for each individual class and he wasn't there.

According to Mike Anthony, Dyson was a few classes short of graduating but did walk (why?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom