'Cuse Held Hostage by DC2... | Syracusefan.com

'Cuse Held Hostage by DC2...

arbitragegls

All Conference
...or at least held motionless on generating a commit from other recruits. What really is going on here...seems that potential recruits...and some we haven't heard of...are mentioning 'Cuse all of a sudden...like Jankovic...then Ledo sort of came back and was at the elite camp...and Cavanagh was offered...but even this 3 star in most services...hasnt jumped.

What is the story...don't know whether to be concerned or not...but really would like to hear our usual experts (Francis and Jake who do know most of time what is going on) to at least drop a hint!

No question... I believe we were mentioned with McGary very early on. Not to say we would have ever been able to land him, but I'm fairly certain our interest level was always modest do to the fact that we think/thought DC2 was ours to lose. For that reason, I'm sure that effected our pitch. Unless the coaches know more than us (pretty reasonable to believe) we have certainly been held hostage.

...or at least held motionless on generating a commit from other recruits. What really is going on here...seems that potential recruits...and some we haven't heard of...are mentioning 'Cuse all of a sudden...like Jankovic...then Ledo sort of came back and was at the elite camp...and Cavanagh was offered...but even this 3 star in most services...hasnt jumped.

What is the story...don't know whether to be concerned or not...but really would like to hear our usual experts (Francis and Jake who do know most of time what is going on) to at least drop a hint!

Completely disagree with this idea that Coleman has held SU hostage...... maybe the fans that feel like they need an early answer and have been held "hostage" by him not committing, but SU hasn't been held hostage. We have been free at any time to offer scholarships to anybody we wanted to. If the staff was concerned that Coleman wasn't coming and that they absolutely needed an alternative they could take protective action...they haven't done it. Tells me either (i) they are still pretty confident that he is coming or (ii) they aren't all that concerned if we don't get a big man in the 2012 recruiting class.

Afterall, regardless of what happens with Coleman or any other class of 2012 kid we still have:

Keita for 2013 (Junior) and 2014 (Senior)
Melo for 2013 (Junior) and 2014 (Senior)
Christmas for 2013 (Soph), 2014 (Junior) and 2015 (Senior)

Fair for 2013 (Junior) and 2014 (Senior)
Southerland for 2013 (Senior)

To assume that any of these kids is going to leave early to play professionally is assuming a lot. To assume they are all are leaving early is ridiculous. Even if Keita is the only Center left in 2014 he will be a senior and can be expected to hold down significant minutes.

The place we may be in the most need is probably at the combo forward SF/PF rather than the PF/C position. Coleman is impacting landing someone who can slide back and forth between the SF and PF positions because he would never play a minute at SF in the Syracuse system.

My concern is that this is Melo's final year... I have no basis to feel that way, however, he's older than most his age, gotten into a little trouble, and must show significant improvement. Not sure we can count on him being a Junior or Senior. Keita is and will always be a bean pole, and Christmas is as of yet an unproven commodity. I think we most certainly need a big in '12. If not DC, maybe take a flyer on Jankovic or someone like that, unless we are feeling really confident about '13.

My concern is that this is Melo's final year... I have no basis to feel that way, however, he's older than most his age, gotten into a little trouble, and must show significant improvement. Not sure we can count on him being a Junior or Senior. Keita is and will always be a bean pole, and Christmas is as of yet an unproven commodity. I think we most certainly need a big in '12. If not DC, maybe take a flyer on Jankovic or someone like that, unless we are feeling really confident about '13.

Still don't see how we need a big in '12. Keita may be a bean pole now, but I would expect him to fill out some more by his junior and senior year. If we had noone but him to man the middle his Junior and Senior years, we really wouldn't be in that bad a position as I think he has the potential to be a serviceable to very good center for us and we have rarely built our teams around the center. Christmas is clearly unproven, but to assume that a guy who was worthy of selection as a McDonald's All American won't be a contributor is a bit strange.

Seems to me to be same thing on the recruiting front. The next guy who has been built up by the analysts, but who we haven't really seen except for highlights is always going to be better than the guy we have on the roster and have seen including warts (unless that guys is Melo - #15 that is).

Patients everyone. September will give us a better idea of how 2012 will shape up.

Just as an aside to this...altho this hostage thing seems incredibly silly... Ohio State and Sullinger now putting big push on for Tony Parker (Georgia HS big man). Just b/c DC2 is taking his time means nothing. He's a basketball player and a good one and should weigh all his options. If he ends up at SU...fantastic! If not well "too bad so sad" but hopefully he will pick a school that can do the best for him. Will it hurt SU...we have a storehouse of bigs as other forums say. Is JB is holding back making offers waiting on DC2? I hope he is smarter than that. Does JB know something we don't? Probably.