Cuse / Lydon / Battle question | Syracusefan.com

Cuse / Lydon / Battle question

DirtDog44

Walk On
I'm all for Cuse continuing to win games in the NIT but a bit scared that it still gives Lydon and Battle a national platform in which to boost their potential draft status. I know it's not the NCAA tournament but these games will be watched by scouts and if they put up monster games they will be noticed by the NBA community.

After such a crappy year I would hate for our two potentially best players next year to be swayed towards the NBA riches.

Then again, maybe I'm still feeling a small sting by our deep run last year and the emergence of Malachi Richardson and his departure into the draft.

I personally think both come back but still concerned.

I'm all for Cuse continuing to win games in the NIT but a bit scared that it still gives Lydon and Battle a national platform in which to boost their potential draft status. I know it's not the NCAA tournament but these games will be watched by scouts and if they put up monster games they will be noticed by the NBA community.

After such a crappy year I would hate for our two potentially best players next year to be swayed towards the NBA riches.

Then again, maybe I'm still feeling a small sting by our deep run last year and the emergence of Malachi Richardson and his departure into the draft.

I think both go to the combines. I mean, why wouldn't you go. It's a free evaluation. Not sure any games at this point really helps or hurts either. Scouts have enough tape on both.

Battle needs another year because he hasn't been given the keys to run the show yet, which he should have more access to next year. Also, the pool of guards is significantly more talented this year than in a very long time. He would be bumped down 5 spots for teams needing a guard just because of the talent pool this year.

I think Lydon is gone and we just need to deal with that. If he comes back, great.

Lydon is 50/50. Battle is 95/5 to stay.

I can def see Battle making a Waiters level jump next year. The kid can play D, shoot, and drive.

Lydon's stock will probably never go higher than ~#20 draft pick, so he might as well leave when he can.

imperative that battle comes back, he can be a top notch player next year. now if we can just find a guard

Draft stocks are increased and decreased during team workouts the 1-2 months after the season ends. Everyone always points to Flynn and claims that the 6 OT game made him the #6 overall pick. This is false. Flynn absolutely killing workouts made him the #6 pick.

One potential point of interest related to Lydon in the draft are the teams that hold the 20-30 picks.

On neither talent nor draft depth would Lydon have a real reason to come back. A lottery team is very unlikely to take Lydon, his upside isn't high enough, he is not going to be an NBA all star, he isn't a main piece to build your team around. He is also probably not someone a fringe playoff team (just inside or outside) is going to take because he is not a piece that is going to bring you to the next level in a year or two.

When you get to the 20-30 range you start looking at contenders and near contenders. Lydon is a guy you can get who does a bunch of modern NBA skills that you can probably use as your 8-9th guy off the bunch in the first two years and potentially develop into a 5-6th guy by the the third or fourth year as a cheap alternative to a guy going into free agency.

Warriors, Cavs, Celtics, Clippers, all don't have a late first round pick in this draft. In the 20-30 range Brooklyn has 2, Portland has 2, Lakers and Magic each have one, are they going to draft Lydon with out many pieces in place or reach for more upside? He could fall to the second round in this draft because of who is drafting more than his talent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom