Cuse still fine for next year. Final four good | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Cuse still fine for next year. Final four good

Assuming Ty gone and the rest stay. How do we get better ?

D - ty was very good at the top of the Zone. In half court sets he will be missed. However, we did not get many transition points. That will have to improve. Carey is a quicker player; hopefully, he can get more breakaways than we got with ty. the frontcourt should be better on D with more experience and by being stronger. Hughes is a wildcard, but let us assume he is a Ty lite on D. So let's just say that shaking it all out that the D is comparable to last season in terms of our first 7 (hughes or Carey and Sid comprising the 6th & 7th players). A D wild card is Buddy. How many minutes will he get. He may be a big three point asset on O, but on D he will lack experience, strength, and relative to jalen he will also lack quickness. D could be worse when he plays. in other posts i have been advocating a 40 minute soft press. That is even more necessary now because the depth of the team is the backcourt. Up front there is no depth. The soft press will buy precious seconds for the frontcourt players to defend less time. We have plenty of backcourt legs to implement this concept.

O - biggest weaknesses last season were unimaginative O sets and three point shooting. During the tournament run, we did start to run more plays thru the post and that helped. gotta keep doing that more. in terms of three point shooting a big part of improvement will have to come from existing players. Frank and Oshae need to improve consistency. Can marek extend out to three with his push shot ? Carey and Hughes should be able to replace what Ty did from three range, though, of course, neither will replace the rest of his game. Buddy is a potential big weapon off the bench that we lacked last season. he should be able to provide at least situational minutes in terms of improving three point shooting. So at the very least, we will now have the capability to put four three point shooters on the floor at once. if marek can extend his range, potentially we could have a small ball lineup of marek, oshae, hughes, frank, and carey that could actually have five three point threats on the floor at once. And that still leaves buddy available !!!! Don't expect to see much of that lineup, but at least it exists as a possibility. If marek can't extend to trey range then the small ball lineup could still have four three point threats and now we could have chuk at the five for better d.

As the team stand now, jimmy should have 8 pieces to work with. we could really use another big, and i will be surprised if we dont bring one in. but barring another body blow to the roster we should be better than last season. we might have taken quantum leap w Baz, but we should be able to take an incremental step with this group.

I got no faith in Freshman Buddy.
Buddy will be like Rautins get better and better by the year.

Carey is a solid Battle replacement but he won’t be 2nd team all ACC good that is on Brissett.
I don’t think Carey will be Brissett freshman good.
He will be a 7-10 PPG player next year.

I was down on Hughes. I hope he shows me I am wrong. I looked at his numbers and don’t see anything more than 3rd or 4th option.

If he is more than that he will be gone after next year. As if he is a pro he won’t stay in college.

Our season was on Bazley being special next year.
Kid is a legit lottery talent. Now we are a bubble ish team. If Robinson comes back we are below BC.

Carey and Hughes only have to be the 3rd and 4th options. Oshae and Frank are obviously going to be 1 and 2 in scoring and usage. I agree though that we are looking at a borderline top 25 team that finishes midpack in the conference compared to thinking we were top 10 and battling for 4th/5th in conf with Bazely.

Carey and Hughes only have to be the 3rd and 4th options. Oshae and Frank are obviously going to be 1 and 2 in scoring and usage. I agree though that we are looking at a borderline top 25 team that finishes midpack in the conference compared to thinking we were top 10 and battling for 4th/5th in conf with Bazely.

i would not dismiss marek as the third option. agree with your team performance thoughts.

i would not dismiss marek as the third option. agree with your team performance thoughts.

I don't disagree that he might end up our 3rd leading scorer but would imagine its highly unlikely that he'd end up the actual 3rd option on offense. Whichever of Hughes/Carey that is the primary 2 is going to have the ball in their hands a lot more often. Marek will get his points though just like he did this year, they'll be efficient and by using IQ and hustle to pick up the scraps. No question he could push towards 10 ppg while Hughes/Carey might end up combining for 17 or so. Somehow we are going to get up to around 70ppg and I'd imagine it ends up something like:

Oshae - 16
Frank - 14
Marek - 9
Hughes - 8
Carey - 8
Sidibe - 6
Chukwu - 6
Buddy - 2

Some might think this seems low but we have averaged directly between 67-70ppg 5 of the last 6 years and to think that will change this year is kind of absurd.

I don't disagree that he might end up our 3rd leading scorer but would imagine its highly unlikely that he'd end up the actual 3rd option on offense. Whichever of Hughes/Carey that is the primary 2 is going to have the ball in their hands a lot more often. Marek will get his points though just like he did this year, they'll be efficient and by using IQ and hustle to pick up the scraps. No question he could push towards 10 ppg while Hughes/Carey might end up combining for 17 or so. Somehow we are going to get up to around 70ppg and I'd imagine it ends up something like:

Oshae - 16
Frank - 14
Marek - 9
Hughes - 8
Carey - 8
Sidibe - 6
Chukwu - 6
Buddy - 2

Some might think this seems low but we have averaged directly between 67-70ppg 5 of the last 6 years and to think that will change this year is kind of absurd.

I like your distinction on Marek. During most of the season what you said was 100% accurate. however, post season much more of the o ran through him. He was in a position to pass, shoot, or drive. IMHO if we keep doing that then he will be the third option. If we go back to iso ball then it will play out as you say.

Frank is going to make a Rak and Rick type jump next year. He will be a senior and it is his team and he will bring it.

I like your distinction on Marek. During most of the season what you said was 100% accurate. however, post season much more of the o ran through him. He was in a position to pass, shoot, or drive. IMHO if we keep doing that then he will be the third option. If we go back to iso ball then it will play out as you say.

That was absolutely the case against Duke in trying to combat their zone. I would just have to imagine that based on historical precedent and having Frank and Oshae back that iso ball is going to be the primary offense.

I am gonna hold off on next year until I see who we have after the early entry period. Fingers are crossed.

Oshae - 16
Frank - 14
Marek - 9
Hughes - 8
Carey - 8
Sidibe - 6
Chukwu - 6
Buddy - 2

Pretty much falls in line with my internal projections, but mine included bazley and thus I had us a few points higher per game. With him out, add some to frank oshae marek and pc. I'm holding off though until we add another forward, which we better.

Pretty much falls in line with my internal projections, but mine included bazley and thus I had us a few points higher per game. With him out, add some to frank oshae marek and pc. I'm holding off though until we add another forward, which we better.

They really aren't too much different for some guys. Frank staying the same, Chukwu and Oshae up 1, Marek and Sidibe up 3 each. Essentially trading out Tyus for the Hughes/Carey combo.

It’s fine to play that game. Then it’s also fair to note that we literally just as easily could have been relegated to the NIT.
I’ll see your “we could have gone to the NIT” and raise you “we were a few bounces away from being Clemson.”

I’ll see your “we could have gone to the NIT” and raise you “we were a few bounces away from being Clemson.”

I mean if you want to play that game you can say we were also a few bounces away from being Georgia Tech.

I mean if you want to play that game you can say we were also a few bounces away from being Georgia Tech.
You can. You can also root for another team.

Sure. Sports are funny that way. I don't see how "almost beat Duke in 2018" = "Final Four contender in 2019" but whatever, anything is possible and life is random.

Sure. Sports are funny that way. I don't see how "almost beat Duke in 2018" = "Final Four contender in 2019" but whatever, anything is possible and life is random.
We’ve had enough crazy, unexpected runs to recognize a trend. We’re built for the tournament. But yeah, sometimes it’s an adventure trying to get there.