'Cuse To Honor Pearl At Georgetown Game | Syracusefan.com

'Cuse To Honor Pearl At Georgetown Game

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
SYRACUSE, NY – Two of the prime combatants from the glory days of the BIG EAST Conference will meet again when Syracuse hosts Georgetown in the Dome on Saturday, December 17. The event will include a special tribute to former Syracuse standout Pearl Washington, one of the stars of the rivalry with the Hoyas, who passed away last spring.

The tribute to Pearl will take a number of forms:

• A "31" logo will be affixed to one of the Jim Boeheim Court sidelines, at approximately the same distance from where Washington made his miraculous half-court shot to defeat Boston College on January 21, 1984.
  • A limited number of $31 seats will be made available for purchase.
  • Syracuse students who have purchased season tickets will be able to secure their seat for the Georgetown game, despite it not being part of the student season-ticket package. Fall semester exams will have been completed at the time and students will be on break.
  • Special back-court activities that associate with Pearl Washington's legacy at Syracuse will be available for fans to participate in.
  • For a minimum group of 15, you can put down a $10 per seat deposit (actual ticket price is TBD). Once the event is finalized, your order will be place into reserved seats (prioritized by order date) and you will be contacted for the remaining payment. The link is for the group ticket deposit is: oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/syracuse/EN/link/buy/details/bzgdepo
Syracuse and Georgetown have met 91 times on the hardwood in a series that dates to the 1929-30 season. The Orange owns a 49-42 advantage. It is the six most-frequent pairing in Syracuse hoop history. The two teams have split the last 10 meetings.

http://cuse.com/news/2016/8/11/Georgetown81116.aspx

CpmN91xW8AQHuxw.jpg

They should honor him the entire season and make this one special. 3/5 bullet points involve ticket sales so it seems like they just want people to buy tickets, which is a shame. Just my two cents.

They should honor him the entire season and make this one special. 3/5 bullet points involve ticket sales so it seems like they just want people to buy tickets, which is a shame. Just my two cents.

I don't think they'll have a problem selling tickets for a Saturday game against Georgetown though. That's always been an automatic 30,000. Trying to get more students to stick around for it is certainly a good thing.

Yes, it's good that they're trying to get out in front of student ticket purchases and planning, because the Saturday after exams is a really difficult draw, even for Georgetown. No students + no out-of-town Christmas visitors in the area could make for an empty building, so this could help a lot. They should have a nice crowd to honor Pearl, so I'm glad they're doing it this way against a Big East team. (It'd be better if they scheduled this on our ACC off-weekend in February, but that's difficult to line up and Boeheim doesn't like it, so whatever. This is the next best thing.)

"A "31" logo will be affixed to one of the Jim Boeheim Court sidelines, at approximately the same distance from where Washington made his miraculous half-court shot to defeat Boston College on January 21, 1984."

Why can't they put the logo on the court at approx. the same spot? That would be cooler.

Perfect game to honor him. He used to eat Gtown alive.

Michael Jackson might have been the best defensive backcourt player in the country, and that clip where Pearl hits the bank shot [4:50 mark] shows how he was completely helpless to slow Pearl down. #31 made him look silly

The highlight at 4:20 was pretty sick, too.

Last edited:
Two things: I fully expect the team to have a "31" patch on their jersey's all season, so this won't be the only tribute. And second: No Andrew White on the banner ad!!! ZOMG!!1! He's definitely not coming!

Two things: I fully expect the team to have a "31" patch on their jersey's all season, so this won't be the only tribute. And second: No Andrew White on the banner ad!!! ZOMG!!1! He's definitely not coming!

if we go by the Banner Ad, we only have 4 players...it's gonna be like the end of the first game in Hoosiers: "My Team is On The Floor".

Last edited:
They could get some of the Georgetown players against whom Pearl played to come up to the Dome . . . if any of them weren't in jail.
They should try to get these players. They, along with JT pops and son, and current players would honor Pearl as well. Pearl's charisma and natural ability were to marvel at and transcended all of college bball at the time, and are still respected so much today.

They should try to get these players. They, along with JT pops and son, and current players would honor Pearl as well. Pearl's charisma and natural ability were to marvel at and transcended all of college bball at the time, and are still respected so much today.
I liked your idea when I first read it but then I said to myself - what if we lose the game with JT II & III in the house. I can only imagine how horrible it would be to see Big John grab the mic and say something along the lines of "The Carrier Dome is officially closed".

kirbivore said:
can only imagine the screw ups that SU's crack athletic dept. staff will reign upon this event. You clowns have four months to get his name right: W-A-S-H-I-N-G-T-O-N.

Or simply "The Purl".

Would have liked to see this serve as Motens well overdue jersey hanging. I felt Pearl was recognized appropriately last year. Nothing against something along these lines but I feel Davis and now Wasington get a lot of dedications and ceremonies. Deservedly so of course but we do have others the fan base would like to recognize.

I liked your idea when I first read it but then I said to myself - what if we lose the game with JT II & III in the house. I can only imagine how horrible it would be to see Big John grab the mic and say something along the lines of "The Carrier Dome is officially closed".
True, but Cuse is not losing the game! Go home JT2.

SYRACUSE, NY – Two of the prime combatants from the glory days of the BIG EAST Conference will meet again when Syracuse hosts Georgetown in the Dome on Saturday, December 17. The event will include a special tribute to former Syracuse standout Pearl Washington, one of the stars of the rivalry with the Hoyas, who passed away last spring.

The tribute to Pearl will take a number of forms:

• A "31" logo will be affixed to one of the Jim Boeheim Court sidelines, at approximately the same distance from where Washington made his miraculous half-court shot to defeat Boston College on January 21, 1984.
  • A limited number of $31 seats will be made available for purchase.
  • Syracuse students who have purchased season tickets will be able to secure their seat for the Georgetown game, despite it not being part of the student season-ticket package. Fall semester exams will have been completed at the time and students will be on break.
  • Special back-court activities that associate with Pearl Washington's legacy at Syracuse will be available for fans to participate in.
  • For a minimum group of 15, you can put down a $10 per seat deposit (actual ticket price is TBD). Once the event is finalized, your order will be place into reserved seats (prioritized by order date) and you will be contacted for the remaining payment. The link is for the group ticket deposit is: oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/syracuse/EN/link/buy/details/bzgdepo
Syracuse and Georgetown have met 91 times on the hardwood in a series that dates to the 1929-30 season. The Orange owns a 49-42 advantage. It is the six most-frequent pairing in Syracuse hoop history. The two teams have split the last 10 meetings.

http://cuse.com/news/2016/8/11/Georgetown81116.aspx

CpmN91xW8AQHuxw.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom