Cuse vs. Nova this Tuesday | Syracusefan.com

Cuse vs. Nova this Tuesday

LeMoyneCuse

All American
I caveat this by saying I'm not as knowledgeable about basketball as many on this board. With that in mind, I saw Villanova play in person three days ago, and I have opinions.

Nova played well against UCLA and Purdue this season, but lost both games - they ran out of gas in each because they only rotated six guys. Those six guys (Gillespie, Slater, Moore, Daniels, Samuels, Dixon) are between 6'3" and 6'8". Gillepsie is a great player - the other five are kind of interchangeable. In their 6 wins, Villanova hasn't been all that impressive. (I realize the margins of victory they have, but something has felt lacking.)

Now, I saw them play against Penn. Ivy League - not particularly athletic or big, but good shooters. Villanova allowed 13 threes and not much else. But those 13 threes were allowed without much defense in the paint, and it seemed like their only focus was taking away deep shots. If Penn got into the paint, Villanova didn't send over help - they allowed Penn's players to post up 1-on-1 and let the shot happen. Can't imagine that will be the game plan for Edwards.

Also, against Penn, aside from Gillespie, Villanova really struggle to hit shots, especially from deep and many wide open.

My scouting report is that Edwards may benefit from Villanova's switch-heavy defense, and that in the best case scenario, Villanova may shoot as poorly from deep as Florida State did today. That said, Cuse needs to be committed on defense and has to take advantage of mismatches to succeed.

- hmmm...villanova is shooting 40% from 3 this year...doubt they will shoot below that % vs the zone.

- well the orange tend to run out of has too in second halves from ashort rotation so that might be something that benefits both teams in a way - hard to predict which way that goes and it could very well be the decider

- i think edwards will be key. he isnt good enough to force it and still score. he ran into trouble vs FSU when going against a double and when he didnt have a shot. he needs to be a big factor though vs smaller teams...and he likely will be.

for me the key is that nova doesnt go completely off from3...which is a possibility.

- hmmm...villanova is shooting 40% from 3 this year...doubt they will shoot below that % vs the zone.

- well the orange tend to run out of has too in second halves from ashort rotation so that might be something that benefits both teams in a way - hard to predict which way that goes and it could very well be the decider

- i think edwards will be key. he isnt good enough to force it and still score. he ran into trouble vs FSU when going against a double and when he didnt have a shot. he needs to be a big factor though vs smaller teams...and he likely will be.

for me the key is that nova doesnt go completely off from3...which is a possibility.
Just telling you what I’ve seen in person versus what you looked at in a box score.

Just telling you what I’ve seen in person versus what you looked at in a box score.
*meant to say run out of gas not has

well...I vividly recall jay wrights nova eviscerating the zone at times when SU was still in the BE.. they play smart and well.

I hope you're right...but I have serious doubts about Nova not hitting 3s if colgate, lafayette, etc were bombing away.

You made the mistake of posting something that could be construed as positive. CC had to put you in check for that.
You have to feel sorry for him and his like as there were two opportunities for big losses this week which unfortunately the Orange won. They could have had such a week of whining and bad mouthing players and Boeheim and running down support for the team. They have been very effective too, as after great wins the board is almost dead, I think most of the actual supportive fans have had enough of their harassment and general destructive pathology and avoid participating.

It’s been 7 years since we have played Nova. Interested to see how they play us. Their rotation is made up entirely of juniors and seniors and their top 3 guys all shoot at least 40% from 3. This is a game where I think we need to sell out on the perimeter.

I’ve never been more confident that a guy is going to go off than I am in Swider on Tuesday night. He’s going to light them up.

The 1-3-1 wrinkle could really help us vs Nova. They are smaller and thus with our size the baseline will be more difficult to leverage. Their ability to drive will be stunted vs the 1-3-1 as well and with Gillespie being the key, defending him up high will also help. The zone switches will be key to keep them from getting comfortable. It's a game we can win but our shooters gotta come to play. Also Joe should be fine vs Gillespie who is good but isn't a guy with elite athleticism to lock Joe down. Shoot well and we absolutely can win. Don't shoot well and I could see getting smoked by 20 or more.

Upon considering Nova's short rotation, my hope is that Torrence and Girard get some minutes together in the first half. They will be proficient breaking the press, tiring the Nova guards. Then Buddy doesn't play his huge minutes until the second half after the Nova guards get a step slower.

It’s been 7 years since we have played Nova. Interested to see how they play us. Their rotation is made up entirely of juniors and seniors and their top 3 guys all shoot at least 40% from 3. This is a game where I think we need to sell out on the perimeter.
Here's the thing about 3 guys shooting 40% from three. You never know who the hot hand will be. Now, that sounds like it could be a fatal thing, and it very well could be. But if they need a bucket, the ball will end up in Gillespie's hands. No one else on the roster is a "take over the game" type.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom