'Cuse vs USC talent gap | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

'Cuse vs USC talent gap

Sensitive I see? Who cares? It's a message board and a valid question, IMO. Actually, an App St or JMU rarely beat a superior team. Those are fluke occurences and Boise St. has been a superior team the past five years. I don't know what Boise's recruiting rankings have been as of late but their coaching is tremendous and they do have good players. Why can't Syracuse become an east coast version of Boise? I hope it can. We have very good coaching.

I'm not convinced that SC does. I mean what has Kiffin really done as a head football coach? Look, I'm an SC alum who grew up in Oswego so this game is a win-win either way. SC will probably overlook SU and play sloppy football. Marrone and Co. will come up with a good gameplan and if the players execute they can keep it close if SC is sleepwalking. That Barkley-Woods combo is probably strong enough to bail them out if SC comes out and plays sloppy. Hopefully it's a close game and I think there is a better than average chance that it can be.

As WBoro himself clarified, his intent was not to denigrate SU & he regrets if it was taken that way. Seeing his clarification, it puts the issue in proper context- but its certainly understandable why folks interpreted it the wrong way.

BTW- it was never about the "validity" of the OP- it IS a message board, thats what we're all here for...to express our POV.

No need to be so literal either, the point was that "on paper" those teams (Boise, JMU, App State) have been & are usually considered underdogs to AQ's- so a win is often seen as an upset. Boise's emergence to being legit was gradual- 4 years ago the "conventional wisdom" had them losing to OU in the Fiesta Bowl based on, wait for it..... supposedly "superior talent & recruiting". Sound familiar?

Though it's obviously 2 weeks away, I just wanted to pose a simple question. I love our guys to death but, IMHO, I don't think there's a single Orange player who would start for USC on either side of the ball. In fact, I'm not so sure any would crack the USC 2-deep, with the only exceptions being possibly Chandler or (even slimmer chance) Pugh. Am I being too hard on my Orange? Thoughts?

We have Marrone. They have Kiffen.

Seriously I am getting so tired of everybody acting like the outcomes of the next two games are already decided. We will be a favorite against Rhode Island and an underdog against USC, yes but the games arent predetermined. Anybody remember when Stanford was a 40 point underdog to #1 USC? Stanford won. Remember when Syracuse was a 35 point underdog to Louisville with Greg Robinson coaching? Syracuse won. Theres a reason they play the games on the fields. How can anybody call themself a fan and go into a game thinking a loss is a foregone conclusion? It makes me sick.

Seriously I am getting so tired of everybody acting like the outcomes of the next two games are already decided. We will be a favorite against Rhode Island and an underdog against USC, yes but the games arent predetermined. Anybody remember when Stanford was a 40 point underdog to #1 USC? Stanford won. Remember when Syracuse was a 35 point underdog to Louisville with Greg Robinson coaching? Syracuse won. Theres a reason they play the games on the fields. How can anybody call themself a fan and go into a game thinking a loss is a foregone conclusion? It makes me sick.

Again, where did I, when starting this thread, or anybody else responding state that we felt that SU was going to lose to, or even play poorly against USC??? I simply posed a hypothetical question of which, if any, players ppl thought would have the talent to be on USC's 2-deep. If anything, I was seeking an opinion in part, to make it that much sweeter & more impressive if we were to pull the upset.

robert woods scares me I will be honest, and barkley to me is the 2nd best qb in the country... their offensive line isnt as big as wake so that always a plus. I think our offense can put up points and is more potent than minnys, its going to be about the front 4 getting pressure and not giving barkey as much time as they did price in the first half or then we will be in trouble.