CuseTroop this one is for you | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

CuseTroop this one is for you

Best bear story ever. Not one movie can touch this. Please introduce me to Louie one day, unless he's a mean drunk (which he looks to be).
:)

lol, you have got to hear Rudy tell the story. Absolutly crazy. Louie isnt around anymore, this happened in the 60's I believe.

Jesus...that is nuts.

A few of my college buddies and I went camping up to Long Lake...hell probably 20 years ago. Rented a boat...drove it a few miles into the lake and literally just camped right in the land in a random cove. We did the usual hoist the food into trees, clean up after ourselves, etc. Well in the middle of the night as I was sleeping (or trying to sleep) I heard a noise outside my tent. I quietly unzipped the flap in my tent and looked out. I could make out something pawing at the tree and trying to reach something. I then made the mistake (I was like 15 beers deep as well so not thinking straight) of flashing a flashlight right into a black bears eyes. I almost pissed myself as he looked right at me. I freaked, jumped out of the tent (at this point all of us were now awake) and we started grabbing pots and pans and slamming them together. I think one of my buddies actually threw a rock at it (real smart I know). It eventually went back into the trees.

Needless to say we were up all night and slept most of that next day

E-DarwinAwardsFish.gif

You ain't an Alaskan until you've been charged by a brownie. I've been tracked twice (Admiralty Island and North Slope), and charged once by a male brownie (Stikine/Iskut mud flats). A snorting brownie up close sounds light a freight train.

Female black bears are a joke. Last summer i pretty much walked into one. Missed him by no more than 3 feet. No big deal. They are all over the place. Male black bears are a whole different ball game, but they seldom go near human scent. On the other hand females go where there is human scent. They are smart enough to know they are safer in areas where there are no males. If you were at a campsite you probably saw a female. If you were in the wilderness it might have been a male. They are much bigger than females, about triple the size.

Brownies go where ever they want. My favorite story is from Anchorage a couple of years ago. This guy did not panic or play dead. He stood his ground and boxed with the brownie. Landed one on his snout. Bought enough time to run a little bit to get to a road which saved his life.

You ain't an Alaskan until you've been charged by a brownie. I've been tracked twice (Admiralty Island and North Slope), and charged once by a male brownie (Stikine/Iskut mud flats). A snorting brownie up close sounds light a freight train.

Female black bears are a joke. Last summer i pretty much walked into one. Missed him by no more than 3 feet. No big deal. They are all over the place. Male black bears are a whole different ball game, but they seldom go near human scent. On the other hand females go where there is human scent. They are smart enough to know they are safer in areas where there are no males. If you were at a campsite you probably saw a female. If you were in the wilderness it might have been a male. They are much bigger than females, about triple the size.

Brownies go where ever they want. My favorite story is from Anchorage a couple of years ago. This guy did not panic or play dead. He stood his ground and boxed with the brownie. Landed one on his snout. Bought enough time to run a little bit to get to a road which saved his life.

I cant imagine playing dead. I mean you may as well baste yourself in barbecue sauce and lie down. I think it was a female. I wasnt in the mood to actually pay attention so I freaked out (mind you I was drunk as hell too).

So by tracked do you mean basically followed or stalked? How the hell do you get out of that mess?

I never have. A buddy of mine has talked about him a good amount. I just brushed up on his wiki page. I'm all about being outdoors and enjoying what this great state has to offer but living with bears is a little nuts. It was scary enough hunting them this fall, hearing them in the distance, smelling them. Its very easy to die up here if you dont respect the wildlife. I'll check out the documentary tho.

Documentary is incredible. I highly recommend it.

Only time I've ever seen a brown bear in person I was in a Blackhawk (oh the glory days before 9/11 when a civilian could get a ride...) flying over the mountains outside Anchorage. We were coming through a valley about 1,500 feet off the ground and I saw a small brown dot dash off and then another, and then a larger brown dot reared up on her hind legs looking to take us on. It was really cool. And about as close as I'd like to be to one of those wild animals.