d playmakers this year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

d playmakers this year

At end we have the Starters at this point Welsh and Robinson. It looked at practice that Marcus Coleman was moved to strong side DE as well so there is that.

So the list goes:
Welsh
Robinson
Coleman
Manley

Newcomers:
Trejo
Marona
Isiah Johnson - Everyone forgets him -Might play tackle though 270 lbs.

Donnie Simmons -Injured- Will he be back in time for fall ball?

8 scholarship DE's currently, I am not very concerned but we have to see how the new guys fit in and where they play. But again, you can't get experience unless you play.

How many more DE's do we need on the roster? We only have 11 guys for the O-Line including the incoming guys and that is for 5 positions.

The question at DE is not so much numbers as quality (compared to the DEs that our ACC competition will line-up). That, plus who in that list can generate a pass rush?

On the O-line, we have at least 12 if all the recruits make it here (the 5 now with the first group, the 3 redshirts, Miller, Burton, Moore & Hayes), and a recent offer out to Michael Lasker. That would be plenty. Unlike the DEs, there is rarely any rotation among the OLs.

Batten is going to be an Aaron Hernandez type for us. Don't want to see him on the defensive side of the ball because he would be a matchup nightmare on offense.
I like batten on the defensive side of the ball. He has great speed. I saw more upside in him on defense then I did on offense. His highlights show him making alot of athletic plays on the edge that alot of people his size cant do. I think we have pretty athletic TE's on the roster who are young (Thompson, Parris), including ashton( hernandez type). Ashton wont play RB as much with the emergence of G Morris. i guess its a wait and see thing with Batten. They may try him out on both sides. Whatever needs they have will determine where they put him.

The question at DE is not so much numbers as quality (compared to the DEs that our ACC competition will line-up). That, plus who in that list can generate a pass rush?

On the O-line, we have at least 12 if all the recruits make it here (the 5 now with the first group, the 3 redshirts, Miller, Burton, Moore & Hayes), and a recent offer out to Michael Lasker. That would be plenty. Unlike the DEs, there is rarely any rotation among the OLs.

I agree with you with regard to the depth, but does anyone really know what we have behind Welsh and Robinson? I haven't seen enough of any of them to make a determination much less write them off as not able to contribute or generate a pass rush. I have seen that Robinson and Welsh can both generate a pass rush but behind them the clear answer is "I don't know".

Before last year as a matter of fact, all I saw from Sharpe was that he was a personal foul machine and look how he did last season. Total turn around.

I agree with you with regard to the depth, but does anyone really know what we have behind Welsh and Robinson? I haven't seen enough of any of them to make a determination much less write them off as not able to contribute or generate a pass rush. I have seen that Robinson and Welsh can both generate a pass rush but behind them the clear answer is "I don't know".

Before last year as a matter of fact, all I saw from Sharpe was that he was a personal foul machine and look how he did last season. Total turn around.
Good points. Sharpe played as a frosh -- so the ability was there, once he added a little muscle and avoided the fouls. I haven't seen him, but the practice reports on Manley are good, and he has great size. DE is a position where we don't have any all-stars, but the defense as a whole has lots of balance and experience. Most of the Juco adds are on the defensive side -- will be interested in how that works out. We could use some wins in the recruiting battles for DEs, LBs and safeties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom