Da Sports Pope retires again | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Da Sports Pope retires again

I think I may be the only person that grew up in upstate NY and lived in NYC that wasn't a fan of Mike.

Not saying I don't appreciate his impact, I do. I'm sure whatever accolades he has received and will in the future are well-deserved.

Just never resonated with me (I'm a Giants, Mets, Knicks, Rangers fan).

I'm probably on an island with this.
Mike is obnoxious and has been lazy since he lost the Mad Dog but the guy loves NY sports and entertains his listeners.
The only reason I love Mike Francesa is because he is the opposite of the toxic Boston sports radio scene. My city has hosts who do nothing but troll fans and make them miserable and stoke anger to get calls.
Mike never does that to his listeners. He may say stupid stuff, he may be embarrassing level wrong on his takes but he doesn't try to ruin sports for his listeners. He gets sports are entertainment and doesn't try to ruin them for his audience.

Listen to Felger and Mazz for one football season and you would think the New England Patriots are the Miami Dolphins.

I think I may be the only person that grew up in upstate NY and lived in NYC that wasn't a fan of Mike.

Not saying I don't appreciate his impact, I do. I'm sure whatever accolades he has received and will in the future are well-deserved.

Just based on conversations with friends of mine I'd say that island is a lot more crowded than you think.

Just based on conversations with friends of mine I'd say that island is a lot more crowded than you think.
This is the greater NYC area, of you get 3million listeners...you are #1.

It also means 9 million aren’t listening.

Nope, plenty of us out there

LOL.

The epitome of hot sports take meatheads. I’ll never understand why people find that entertaining.

LOL.

The epitome of hot sports take meatheads. I’ll never understand why people find that entertaining.

ESPN is chock full of these knuckleheads with Stephen A leading the pack, at a cool $8 mil per year btw.

Bomani and Pablo are two of my all time faves - lol -but coming up on the outside is this @ssclown Dominique Foxworth. Watched him debate with Damien Woody over whether Cam Newton should be re-signed by Carolina. Woody schooled him. Foxworth is of the opinion that Kyle Allen is a complete bum and that Cam is still circa 2015 Cam. Apparently Foxworth has been out of the country for the last dozen + Panther games.

I never enjoyed his solo show nearly as much as the glory days of Mike and the Mad Dog, before they started hating each other. He was very knowledgeable about pro football at one time, back when Parcells was still coaching and he had that gig on CBS. But he became way too rude to callers to make it enjoyable listening. I gave up on him years before I moved away from NYC. I really enjoyed Imus back in the 90s, too, but that was a long time ago.

So, there were a couple days recently where I was driving at rush hour and caught the two new guys that took Mike's spot...

Do they talk about anything other than the Mets? No matter what the topic is, it always comes back to the Mets. Most of their calls are about the Mets...They should just call it Mets Talk radio and change the name to WMET.

Mike came on at 6 and I said, "Thank God."

So, there were a couple days recently where I was driving at rush hour and caught the two new guys that took Mike's spot...

Do they talk about anything other than the Mets? No matter what the topic is, it always comes back to the Mets. Most of their calls are about the Mets...They should just call it Mets Talk radio and change the name to WMET.

Mike came on at 6 and I said, "Thank God."
Evan & Joe are Mets/Jets guys.

they are good, but yeah, it can slant that way.

mets have had a lot of drama recently though.

Beltran, the sale no sale etc..

I thought they should have gone with Evan and JJ, understanding that Evan and Joe have been a team for a long time, but Joe is one foot out the door with retirement, and his shtick can get really old really fast.

Evan & Joe are Mets/Jets guys.

they are good, but yeah, it can slant that way.

mets have had a lot of drama recently though.

Beltran, the sale no sale etc..
Yes, I get that...but they spent most of the show talking about the Astros...sort of...regardless of what they started talking about, it always ended up being about the Mets...

I thought they should have gone with Evan and JJ, understanding that Evan and Joe have been a team for a long time, but Joe is one foot out the door with retirement, and his shtick can get really old really fast.
Old bad shtick is all Michael Kaye has.

my guess is chernoff still wasn’t sold on JJ, and after the disaster that was CMB, it wa better to slide Evan & Joe down and hope they make it, so when Joe retires (2021?) then the transition to adding JJ will be easier.

and to Forza‘s point, I’d imagine NYC will be sick of too much Mets in the afternoon drive, JJ will bring a Yankee voice and it will be more than welcome.

Old bad shtick is all Michael Kaye has.

my guess is chernoff still wasn’t sold on JJ, and after the disaster that was CMB, it wa better to slide Evan & Joe down and hope they make it, so when Joe retires (2021?) then the transition to adding JJ will be easier.

and to Forza‘s point, I’d imagine NYC will be sick of too much Mets in the afternoon drive, JJ will bring a Yankee voice and it will be more than welcome.
Yesterday, they started talking NFL (don't even remember the topic) and ended up doing 15 minutes on the Jets...

I'm done. Rather listen to 1010wins on an endless loop...<sigh>..

Yesterday, they started talking NFL (don't even remember the topic) and ended up doing 15 minutes on the Jets...

I'm done. Rather listen to 1010wins on an endless loop...<sigh>..
CMB failed because we had 3 anti-Yankees and Giants fans in the booth. They need to find a way to play it straight like Boomer & Gio Do.

that stuff flew from 10-2, it won’t from 2-6.

Granted those teams need to be takes about, but id try to slant it more to the audience and not continue to do the same show as before.

maybe they will have to add JJ as a 3rd man and go from there??

guess we will see how it’s going once the 1st book is out.

My ears are gonna pop off my head w Jones and JJ on at the same time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom