Dajuan | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dajuan

Coleman will get there. His greatest strength is his strength and his hands. But in time he will learn that college is different than high school kids and how to use that strength and how to focus on controlling the ball. He's just using instincts right now.

On defense, he always falls for every ball or head fake. Needs to learn to hold his ground.

After 2 scrimmages and 2 games, there is no doubt in my mind that our best center is Baye. But he will remain a sub because he is more receptive to it. Tough to tell hs studs like a Coleman or Christmas that they will be coming off the bench.

Nice problems to have.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Good call. Keita is finding open spaces. Yes, they aren't paying attention to him, but he's going to where the defender isn't. He floor awareness has been very good on the offensive boards, and he calls out the defense with gusto in the middle of the zone.

If Coleman isn't shooting 50% by the turn of the new year, he's going to play precious few minutes in Big East games. That's like the bottom of the barrel for any halfway decent five.

No, he's too important to fall out of the rotation. The other guys can score, but they don't present for the ball and make a defense react. Even if the shots aren't going in right now, he gets people in foul trouble with those moves, and he can get to the foul line and extend a game, if we're behind. The other 2 guys don't offer that.

I noticed the first few games he's been losing the ball and tonight was the same.

With the way Baye and James are playing...its hard to see more than 8 minues per game for Coleman once the real season starts. I hope this kid has a thick skin.

His footwork is near perfect and the way he utilizes his strength/size is exactly what you want from his mold of big man. It just looked like he was getting unlucky with what seemed like a really tight rim in the first half, then got harassed by their entire team collapsing on him in the 2nd half which was so effective that they just surrounded him and swatted at the ball whenever he got it dumped to him at the post.

I have to wonder if it would be better to keep someone like Cooney or Southerland on the court when DjC is in the game, and have them float around the 3-pt line on DjC's side of the court. That would keep the defenders honest, should they collapse onto the post he could kick it out for a wide-open 3.

All-in-all I think he is just adjusting with the learning curve of D1 basketball. The talent is definitely there, that is without question ... he just needs to work out some small kinks.

With the way Baye and James are playing...its hard to see more than 8 minues per game for Coleman once the real season starts. I hope this kid has a thick skin.

James' play has absolutely no impact on DjC's playing time, I don't know where you're getting that from... and BMK had a horrific 1st half. BMK was giving up far too many rebounds to a smaller team and scored almost all of his points by being left wide open under the hoop. I think too many here are trusting the box score over their eyes. The only time I feel better about having BMK on the court over DjC is on defense... Coleman is struggling there and doesn't quite understand his defensive role. He comes out and commits/over-commits too far from his assignment, which smarter teams/coaches are definitely sure to exploit.

Coleman also had a fantastic drop step spin move on the block leading to a bucket. Moves like that demonstrate the kid has talent.

People need to temper their expectations 2 games into the season.

The paps were there last night to snap photos of JLH. Here is her reaction to hearing DaJuan was stripped of the ball 5 times:

jennifer-love-hewitt-cleavy-on-the-client-list-in-la-08-435x580.jpg

No, he's too important to fall out of the rotation. The other guys can score, but they don't present for the ball and make a defense react. Even if the shots aren't going in right now, he gets people in foul trouble with those moves, and he can get to the foul line and extend a game, if we're behind. The other 2 guys don't offer that.

That'd be terrific if he could get guys into foul trouble, but he hasn't really done it yet. And if he keeps getting stripped so often, he's not going to get the benefit of the doubt from the officials.

That'd be terrific if he could get guys into foul trouble, but he hasn't really done it yet. And if he keeps getting stripped so often, he's not going to get the benefit of the doubt from the officials.
These early games against smallish teams are good for him because they introduce him to the speed and tempo of the college game. He'll get that preparation now, and he's getting prep against bigger, stronger players in practice vs. Rak and Baye. I expect he will be a solid low post presence by February, and a guy we count on for a bucket or a foul in tough possessions come March.

Even though he's struggled so far, you can tell as soon as he gets the ball on the block he's got some solid low post moves and a nice soft touch around the basket. He gets a couple of those early looks like he had yesterday to go in and he'll be fine. Hope we keep feeding it to him early in games.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

I agree. He's played 2 games. He'll be fine. He keeps 1, sometimes 2 opposing players off the glass, and also bodies his man so Rak can look like Shaq out there.

He's also getting doubled... I doubt that's because they don't think he can score inside. Once he figures out how to use his body against bigger players, and to keep the ball off the deck ... my guess is he starts scoring and doesn't stop.

Everyone has covered the flaws in DaJuan's game in this thread, so no need to rehash, but I think a huge area of improvement is that he needs to carve out position deeper. If he were setting up for an entry feed lower in the post, it would alleviate the need to take the ball down and do all the "problem" things he's been doing when the ball is in his hands. He should have no problem getting where he wants on the blocks, considering his size.

I'm also concerned that he just doesn't seem to have much leaping ability. He just doesn't explode to the rim like I'd hope he would.

Nonetheless, most of his issues are correctable through coaching as others have said in the thread. He'll learn and he'll be better soon. We're fortunate to have enough bigs to be very patient as he works on his game and figures things out.

Coleman needs to watch some Tim Duncan video on where to hold the ball when in deep and not sure what your next move is going to be...

Hop knows all this. As Keita has said recently (and I'm sure the same coaching is being given to DC), there's no rush. He can hold the ball up, and if the double comes, pass out. Or if he has room, he can make his move (of which he seems to have plenty). He has a soft touch down low, is catching the ball (IMO) in the right place ... it's just a matter of playing and practice time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom