Damien Alford Grad Transferring to Utah | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Damien Alford Grad Transferring to Utah

Status
Not open for further replies.
The kid played here for years. He was no problem. He wasn't going to practice with the team. Nothing was gained by this.

He told them he was going to quit at the end of the semester. So, Fran spared him the wait. Do you want that guy still thinking he can come to practice??

Maybe Damien thought he was doing the team a solid by telling them he might be leaving. But in general it’s never a good idea to tell a team or job or gf/bf that you’re going to consider leaving them in 6 months.

Exactly!

If he might leave or will leave the team is better off because there are others on the team who will have a better idea of where they stand. If you don't have 100% commitment to be there the roster limits are too tight. What if another WR decides he is leaving because he is #7 where if Alford is gone he is #6.

We know several more have to go or are gone with no announcement.

Practicing when you might want to go to the portal is not really a good idea either, you get hurt who knows if you can get someone to buy into you.

He told them he was going to quit at the end of the semester. So, Fran spared him the wait. Do you want that guy still thinking he can come to practice??
Like an employee who tells you is out looking for a new job but has no problem working another 3-4 months.

So he is the employee that they said stay home, but we will pay you for those next 3 months.

In season if he wants to portal he still has some value to help the team much more than now.

The player's WHOLE tweet is the context, not just the part of it ("dismissed") that had a negative connotation. The tweet said that when he (DA) told HCFB he was considering transferring, he was asked to reconsider. That second part is being lost here ... because it suggests that the coaches wanted the player to stay (as opposed to punishing him for some rule violation). Apparently AFTER that, it became clear to the coaches that Damien had made up his mind ... then the 'dismissal' occurred. We don't know if 'dismissal' was the exact word used by the coach or came from someone else in the communications pipeline (a secretary from the AD's office, etc). So while I'm sad to see Damien leave (very polite young man), I don't see any real fault on either side nor any point to continuing this thread. BOL to him.

Last edited:
So, both Thamel and Emily are lying. For what purpose. Especially for Emily when she has to deal with Fran and the University going forward.
I never said lying. You said that.

I would 100% be in favor of him no longer being on the team if that was the case. What I wouldn't be in favor of is using the word dismissed to a kid that played here for years and as far as we know, never caused any problem. Never got in any trouble. Just call it a mutual decision. The kids on the team would know the truth. And the kid wouldn't be tarred with the dismissed tag. This wasn't a Benny Williams situation where the kid couldn't stop having issues. Just show him the door in your example and move on.
the world's greatest recruiter doesn't want anyone to think a kid with talent isn't buying what he's selling? Who knows but that story is at least plausible.

We have gone all on high variance and inexperience so this is only the beginning

Maybe Damien thought he was doing the team a solid by telling them he might be leaving. But in general it’s never a good idea to tell a team or job or gf/bf that you’re going to consider leaving them in 6 months.
Agreed, saw it all the time in the Air Force. Pilots would tell the Commander they were staying and boom they drop their notice they are getting out to fly commercial. If you volunteer too much info it can be used against you.

The kid played here for years. He was no problem. He wasn't going to practice with the team. Nothing was gained by this.
Seemingly he wanted to stay for the spring so he can graduate and transfer as a graduate student, After discussion at the end of the fall term he verbalized buy in, which more than likely in my opinion was not genuine potentially, you would have to ask him. Once team functions started in preparation for Spring ball were lacking there was further discussion. Intentions should have been clear at the end of the fall term, they were not. This is more than likely carryover from the first discussion, may we all let our yay be yay and our nay be nay. Things certainly could have changed, however, potentially not. The coaching staff certainly needs to keep their word, players should also do the same. If not, specifically on a player's end then own up to it. On the coaching end you better honor your word. I believe that is what they tried to do and information and circumstances about player intention changed. Thus removal. I ask everybody to remember when Coach Marrone first came here. Massive attrition. A coach is going to have learning curve in so many things, however. If you are not interested in team functions, vision and contributing to morale your decision was already made. This can still occur even if you felt it was in your best interest to transfer, let it be known when originally asked. Joe Girard is a perfect example, my gosh. There is a way to do things and I believe coach Fran had good intentions as evidenced by asking for reconsideration which was done a second time. His word choices could have been better such as player is no longer part of the team, scholarship activities aside. I can assure you these things will have to be addressed in this age.

Last edited:
Clarified with a team spokesman: "Dismissed" is still the proper term for Alford's departure from the program. He did not independently choose to leave and enter the portal.

4wXQ9yiy_mini.jpg

emily leiker

@emleiker
Thamel now reporting that Alford plans to enter the transfer portal. Next portal window is April 16-30. Not super clear if he was dismissed (original report) and as a result is now entering the portal or if his departure from the program was completely on his terms.

Concerning above I say this def not the whole picure, CFB perspective. I will leave it at this and move on. What did DA want CFB to do, talk him out of his decision a second time when this was already discussed? Shall we dance again when you told me yes and then you drop me on my head for the second time? In a vast majority of cases it is a healthy decision to part ways for all parties, no?

Lastly in my opinion the above captions are simply one-sided, colorful, media-influenced portraits with the typical PS drama spin. So sorry Emily. Hope all is well with Peter as well. We used to need at least 2 sources to validate, typically from all sides right? Newsprint used to actually be a valid secondary source, can we truly say that anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom