Dan Mullen | Page 225 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
One small area which is now club seats with free food and drinks. Similar to the courtside seats for basketball. So that section is now totally different. Nothing else is coming close to that kind of increase.
TY for the clarification.

Please continue sharing. It's up to us to read it as just information that could change.
It can also be information that was never true to begin with.

I’m not gonna crush the posters who shared what they heard. Everyone loves to do that and grab some internet glory, if only for a day.

But people gotta stop assuming it was true and retconning how things played out from there. If it was never true, which certainly seems to be the case, then literally nothing happened.

Things I learned spending time in this thread...

1) If there is ever a White Elephant thing for this board, buy a bottle of bourbon.
2) How to spell bourbon.
3) If Syracuse ever hires a big name coach, it will generate far more excitement and interest than I ever thought.
4) There are a lot of people on this board who stay up really late every night, at least during a holiday weekend.
5) We should pay attention to what Pete Thamel says about coaching searches. He once again showed he knows what the hell he is talking about.
6) Full disclosure. I am not sure what really happened with Mullen these past few days. I know he was in Syracuse Wednesday. I am 99% sure that means he was interested in the job and interviewed for it. Just that alone heartens me. A legit big time HC was interested in the job and apparently thought it was worth an interview and some thought. And it appears we went after him. If we actually came close to signing him, damn. If JW ever writes a book, there needs to be a story in it about what really happened here.
7) I personally would be happy to get Tony White back as our HC, and have him retain Jason Beck as the OC. Could see where Rocky Long agrees to serve as his DC for a year or so of transition and serves as his mentor guiding him through his first year as a head coach. Tony knows the landscape, knows the conference, knows a lot of the players. The players love him. A lot of them would stay for him. And I think our fans and boosters would pony up money for NIl for Tony.
8) Would also be very comfortable hiring Bronco Mendenhall. This is another scenario where Coach Beck would be retained as the OC. His vast network of contacts would aid him greatly in building a new staff. He knows Rocky well, has coached with the 3-3-5 and Coach Long and I would guess there is a good chance we would again retain the 3-3-5 scheme and Coach Long if we go this way.
9) Candle, Golden, Chesney all have attraction. Coen too. Personally, all things being equal, I would prefer a guy who has been a P5 HC over other guys. So Golden is probably next on my list (after the guys listed under bullet 7). But I haven't heard almost any of these guys speak and would have to know more about their vision for the program and how they would plan to go about implementing it.
I wonder if retaining Coach Camp minus the interim tag is even being considered? I could get on board with that.

I must have missed where he said we hired Mullen. I read all his posts as he was here, we were involved and things are looking good. Then info stopped across the board.
Yep. So if I recall correctly Dog provided inputs confirming Mullen had been here and was in the mix. Bees confirmed that he heard Mullen was coming up Sat but then something happened. Heatercuse I believe also confirmed some elements as well. All three reliable posters. In addition players and coaches were following Mullen. It's possible all things were true at a point in time shared and it is also true that we should all understand that those in point of time details can change afterwards. It's mind boggling that people can't grasp that concept. It's also mind boggling others feel the need to comment negativity towards them like they are king chit or something. Though interesting I don't see anyone bashing Bees. People are selective in who gets the guff and who doesn't?

100%, it's literally been 8 days since Dino was let go. Some of the fanbase isn't honest on where SU is in the D1 P5 hierarchy. It's not 1991.
Also vetting is far more involved now than 30 years ago.

Some posters here ought to be ashamed for some of your takes. You Don't help SU...as you turn off Player's parents and future recruits (players and coaches).

We have posters sharing info and they get attacked when it doesn't happen. No wonder many keep tidbits to themselves.

You Don't help SU...as you turn off Player's parents and future recruits (players and coaches).
Yeah, SU's continued irrelevance in revenue sports is because of some anonymous hacks on a message board but are completely unconcerned with the AD and coaches. The blame the victim mentality is very prevalent around here.

Hopefully they visit the Clemson and Miami boards and get turned off from going there.

So Mullen said he's not going to be the head coach. Still a chance he comes on as a coordinator or analyst to advise Kenny?

BUT - maybe Mullen was sunk by his recruiting violations and NCAA sanctions at Florida. Something the SU BofT would want to stay away from. Given our history with basketball, I think that's understandable.
Especially if he wanted to bring Eddie O with him lol

It was like two people most posters are obviously grateful for the info. Don’t expect complete civility on the internet.

It only takes one to ruin it for everyone

This place honestly has gotten so awful recently by some of the newer posters.

Also, a quick google search on anything by Syracuse related comes up with a lot of Syracuse fan forums.

It’s important to know that while parents are informed NOT to read Syracusefan, many do.

The negativity and false narratives spread on here by people who haven’t donated a single dollar or attended a Syracuse event in forever are insane

Remember this is a public forum, get a grip

Some of you on here are true Keyboard warriors

Things I learned spending time in this thread...

1) If there is ever a White Elephant thing for this board, buy a bottle of bourbon.
2) How to spell bourbon.
3) If Syracuse ever hires a big name coach, it will generate far more excitement and interest than I ever thought.
4) There are a lot of people on this board who stay up really late every night, at least during a holiday weekend.
5) We should pay attention to what Pete Thamel says about coaching searches. He once again showed he knows what the hell he is talking about.
6) Full disclosure. I am not sure what really happened with Mullen these past few days. I know he was in Syracuse Wednesday. I am 99% sure that means he was interested in the job and interviewed for it. Just that alone heartens me. A legit big time HC was interested in the job and apparently thought it was worth an interview and some thought. And it appears we went after him. If we actually came close to signing him, damn. If JW ever writes a book, there needs to be a story in it about what really happened here.
7) I personally would be happy to get Tony White back as our HC, and have him retain Jason Beck as the OC. Could see where Rocky Long agrees to serve as his DC for a year or so of transition and serves as his mentor guiding him through his first year as a head coach. Tony knows the landscape, knows the conference, knows a lot of the players. The players love him. A lot of them would stay for him. And I think our fans and boosters would pony up money for NIl for Tony.
8) Would also be very comfortable hiring Bronco Mendenhall. This is another scenario where Coach Beck would be retained as the OC. His vast network of contacts would aid him greatly in building a new staff. He knows Rocky well, has coached with the 3-3-5 and Coach Long and I would guess there is a good chance we would again retain the 3-3-5 scheme and Coach Long if we go this way.
9) Candle, Golden, Chesney all have attraction. Coen too. Personally, all things being equal, I would prefer a guy who has been a P5 HC over other guys. So Golden is probably next on my list (after the guys listed under bullet 7). But I haven't heard almost any of these guys speak and would have to know more about their vision for the program and how they would plan to go about implementing it.
Excellent post. Thank you! Bulldog you weren't the only source so please don't take negative comments personally. People are misplaced taking any disappointment out on you.

He should have his guy 95% done. That's how these things work at well-run organizations. There's a short list, cut it down to three, and the prohibitive favorites. Money gets resolved early on: if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it. SU's AD is a snowball catching on fire. You think it took Texas A&M a month to hire Elko?
Elko was there two years ago and it’s not a done deal as of this tweet. And he’s door number two.

And Jimbo got fired way ahead of Babers.

So yeah it’s taking them close to a month to hire Elko.

Obviously people are disappointed in the news this morning, but attacking posters for what they are hearing is silly. If you don't like, trust or believe the poster then simply block them (put them on ignore), no big deal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.