Dan Mullen | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if ESPN connections allowed for some back channel discussions.
Almost all of these hirings these days are bvback channel: somebody knows the coach's agent and talks to him. The agent tells the guy asking whiter his client is interested and gives hints about what it would cost to sign him. Then it goes from there.

That individual is just pulling our info am making it his own. Plagiarism!!! Lol Just Kidding

Almost all of these hirings these days are bvback channel: somebody knows the coach's agent and talks to him. The agent tells the guy asking whiter his client is interested and gives hints about what it would cost to sign him. Then it goes from there.
Yep I know. My guess though is outreach likely didn't come from coach or his agent. My guess was perhaps John's connections at ESPN could have allowed for maybe a 15 minute call to get coaches/gauge coaches interest. It would certainly be a helluva pickup.

Or……Chesney is playing hardball so you float a rumor out there about another coach to gain some negotiating power. I’d be shocked if it was Mullen. But would not be disappointed if it was him.

Yep I know. My guess though is outreach likely didn't come from coach or his agent. My guess was perhaps John's connections at ESPN could have allowed for maybe a 15 minute call to get coaches/gauge coaches interest. It would certainly be a helluva pickup.
Makes me wonder if, through back channels, SU has this information leaked to force other candidates (Chesney) to speed up their decision making process. Create a sense of urgency scenario.

Makes me wonder if, through back channels, SU has this information leaked to force other candidates (Chesney) to speed up their decision making process. Create a sense of urgency scenario.
Certainly plausible. I would be surprised if you would do that for a Chesney. My I have a slanted view but I would think Chesney would pull the trigger if offered. I could see it for a Golden maybe and get him out of his OC role quicker to hit a desired timeline.
Part of my thinking is did JW get more than buyout money from donors? Maybe JW was able to get enough to bring in a heavy hitter as well?

It wont be Mullen

I agree but it is strange that he remain the favorite at Vegas. They aren’t usually wrong by a lot so they are getting that information from someplace. Could it be Mullen himself letting people know he is interested in coaching again? Sure that is possible but they are getting information from somewhere

Certainly plausible. I would be surprised if you would do that for a Chesney. My I have a slanted view but I would think Chesney would pull the trigger if offered. I could see it for a Golden maybe and get him out of his OC role quicker to hit a desired timeline.
Part of my thinking is did JW get more than buyout money from donors? Maybe JW was able to get enough to bring in a heavy hitter as well?

Chesney, unless i'm misreading the market, has no other market right now to leverage. As I said elsewhere, Holy Cross can't get into a bidding war with Syracuse for football. So it's a question of yes or no from Bob. SU isn't going to embarass him with some below market deal no matter what. He'll get paid what a new first year ACC coach should get (north of 2.5mm i would guess with incentives, etc).

This is not a leverage play at all. I think it's a stupid aggregator story at best

Why?
I think the cost for him starts at 5mm and probably i'm low balling him by some.

If we're that big boy of a program color me very surprised financially. It's a massive number and it would take a 5 year commitment I would gather.

Reactions: FAL
This is a screenshot from Betonline this morning.
1000005781.png

I think the cost for him starts at 5mm and probably i'm low balling him by some.

If we're that big boy of a program color me very surprised financially. It's a massive number and it would take a 5 year commitment I would gather.
Get SU an ACC championship in year 5 and fly back to the SEC.
I'm good with it. :)

For the casual fan base -- you need a big-name hire. Chesney could be a great coach at the perfect time, but he does not move the needle like Mullen would.

This, in a way, could be like Deion at CU. Get the guy here and dollars can come in before a snap even happens. And looking at the 2024 schedule, and knowing what Mullen brings to the table (with the portal), they could win 7 next year and not have to go through what Deion is right now with his incredibly tough schedule

At this point, the 2 candidates with OL Coaching expertise who are in the NFL need to be interviewed, IMO!

I’m hoping Syracuse realizes they have one last chance to get this right and stay in a relevant position. All bets are off when the gore expires. If Syracuse doesnt turn it around and make themselves look attractive for other conferences then all will Be lost and the big checks will stop
Coming. Mullen is about as sure fire of a win as you can get here. He checks a lot of boxes and is a better version of Marrone

This board should just create the suggestion of some completely random OC or DC out there. The more random the better. And see how long it takes to pop up in some national article or tweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom