Danny Hurley who went 8-21 last year turns down Rutgers HC job | Syracusefan.com

Danny Hurley who went 8-21 last year turns down Rutgers HC job

You should go after Seth Greenberg or Bruce Pearl

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

You should go after Seth Greenberg or Bruce Pearl

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2
I actually think that Bruce Pearl would be a great choice for Rutgers (and I am serious).

To much baggage for RU, no way the politicians would allow it.
Like the politicians from New Jersey are the salt of the earth!!!

However reading Bruce Pearl's wikipedia page regarding his NCAA issues, it's pretty funny that most of his problems are because of Aaron Craft. I didn't realize that. The article also says that he really can't coach until 2014 but its not like Rutgers is going to have much of a program next season anyways.

NCAA investigation
In the summer of 2008, Pearl invited high school junior Aaron Craft and members of his family to a cookout at his Knoxville home while Craft was on an unofficial visit to Tennessee. At the cookout, Pearl said that Craft wasn't allowed to be there under NCAA rules, but encouraged all those in attendance not to tell anyone about it. When the NCAA began an investigation of the affair, Pearl not only lied about the cookout, but Andy Katz reported Pearl told Craft's father to lie as well.[9] This accusation of trying to get Mr. Craft to lie after the NCAA investigation began was not true, however. “On four or five occasions, the enforcement staff asked Mr. Craft if I tried to influence him, and he answered those questions by saying, ‘No, (Pearl) didn’t,’ ’’ Pearl said.
On September 10, 2010, Pearl acknowledged the violations in the Craft affair, and also admitted lying about it to the NCAA. As a result, Tennessee imposed sanctions on Pearl and his entire staff including $1.5 million in salary reduction over the coming five years and a delayed retention bonus. His off-campus recruiting was also restricted completely from September 4, 2010 to September 23, 2011.[10] On November 20, 2010, the SEC ordered Pearl to sit out Tennessee's first eight SEC games.[11]
After finding out about additional NCAA violations, as well as a violation of the school's substance abuse policy by a player, Tennessee fired Pearl on March 21, 2011.[12][13] On August 23, 2011, Pearl was given a three-year show-cause penalty for his unethical conduct in lying to the NCAA. This means that the sanctions imposed on Pearl will remain in force if he is hired by an NCAA member school within that period. Specifically, he is prohibited from engaging in any "recruiting activities", which means he cannot contact recruits, although he may evaluate talent during that period. If a school does choose to hire him and chooses to challenge the NCAA restrictions, it must appear before the NCAA Committee on Infractions and "show cause" for why the sanctions imposed on Pearl should not follow him to that school.[9] In imposing the penalty, the NCAA said that while Pearl's actual violations were not egregious, his lies elevated the case to a major one.[14] Since most schools will not even consider hiring a coach with a show-cause order in effect, it will likely have the effect of blackballing Pearl from the collegiate ranks until August 23, 2014. His assistant coaches were also given one-year show-cause orders, in effect until August 23, 2012.

B1G program, why not a former B1G coach?
Bill Carmody, formerly of NW, solid system and high character guy...
To be honest, RU basketball could be a sleeping giant. Once B1G money starts rolling in, a brand new facility to replace the RAC, on par with say NC State's new building, and a good recruiting class or two, there you have it...

To be honest, RU basketball could be a sleeping giant. Once B1G money starts rolling in, a brand new facility to replace the RAC, on par with say NC State's new building, and a good recruiting class or two, there you have it...
Sleeping Giant... LOL

gotta offer the moon to John Giannini of La Salle. He has deep ties to the regional recruiting hot beds (7 years in La Salle, several seasons at DIII Rowan in NJ). I think he's a must-get for Rutgers.

Times change... How's Rutgers football doing with improved facilities?
What if Rutgers builds a KFC YUM Center? Even the Melo practice center has helped our recruiting...
Not sure, but I hear there may be one or two good high school players in the state of New Jersey... What if a few want to stay home and play in a brand spanking new building?
Do you really think they will play in the RAC forever?

Times change... How's Rutgers football doing with improved facilities?
What if Rutgers builds a KFC YUM Center? Even the Melo practice center has helped our recruiting...
Not sure, but I hear there may be one or two good high school players in the state of New Jersey... What if a few want to stay home and play in a brand spanking new building?
Do you really think they will play in the RAC forever?
Rutgers is doing the exact same as they were doing before, they don't play anyone.
Louisville is pretty deep in debt because of the Yum! Center. Rutgers can't take anymore money from the state. It won't happen.
Syracuse landed the best two players in Jersey this year. Don't think Rutgers landed one of the top 50 in Jersey.
Yes, I do think they will stay in the RAC forever.

cardiff-giant-1.jpg

Danny Hurley is a complete nutbag. His antics during games are incredible.

Rutgers should make a run at Andy O'Toole. He's young and is a good face to completely rebuild a program around.

Rutgers is doing the exact same as they were doing before, they don't play anyone.
Louisville is pretty deep in debt because of the Yum! Center. Rutgers can't take anymore money from the state. It won't happen.
Syracuse landed the best two players in Jersey this year. Don't think Rutgers landed one of the top 50 in Jersey.
Yes, I do think they will stay in the RAC forever.
Must be nice to still be living in the 1980's...
Still waiting for that mix tape of Spandau Ballet and New Order you were going to send me...
B1G money may help with a new facility, helps to be in one of the most fertile basketball recruiting grounds in the country...
When I was a student at SU, never even imagined having to fight for Jersey/New York football recruits against RU...

What about Jim Tressel?

He might take it, unless his show cause carries to basketball.

Still waiting for that mix tape of Spandau Ballet and New Order you were going to send me...
B1G money may help with a new facility, helps to be in one of the most fertile basketball recruiting grounds in the country...
When I was a student at SU, never even imagined having to fight for Jersey/New York football recruits against RU...
I never lived in the 1980's.
And they need to take that B1G money and first get back in the black instead of stealing from the general fund. And I'm sure all those kids in Jersey dream about playing in the midwest.

The Rutgers is a sleeping giant story has been around for a very long time. Through a lot of coaches as well. We had to fight Rutgers for football recruits not because they were so good but because we were so bad. They haven't been decent in basketball in 20 years. And only then because they were in the Atlantic 10. there is a reason that so many coaches have failed there.

Agreed...
My point is that a brand new building with that new car smell instead of the foul smelling jalopy of a RAC that they have always had might make a difference...
Give me a new Porsche 911 and I'll go after coeds still...:)

Apparently they lowballed Hurley. Offered him less guaranteed money than he's currently making.

Nothing screams small time like trying to lure a new coach by offering him a cut in pay.

Rhode Island, despite their record, was highly competitive this year. Hurley did a fine job.

Apparently they lowballed Hurley. Offered him less guaranteed money than he's currently making.

Nothing screams small time like trying to lure a new coach by offering him a cut in pay.

That's idiotic- nice way to insult one of the best known New Jersey basketball names.

How difficult do you think it will be for Rutgers to get any decent named coach without an AD?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom