Dave Gavitt Tournament | Syracusefan.com

Dave Gavitt Tournament

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
Someone mention this would be a good idea and I agree.

My take:

Invite 4 or 8 teams (former BE and NBE teams) to play hoops at MSG over 2 or 3 days in Nov or Dec every year.

Get ESPN to promote...get a charity behind it.

That tourney should only include the originals:

Cuse ('79 - founder)
Providence ('79 - founder)
St Johns ('79 - founder)
GTown ('79 - founder)
Seton Hall (invited, joined '79)
UConn (invited, joined '79)
BC (invited, joined '79)
Nova (invited, joined '80)
Pitt (invited, joined '82)

Would be a great tourney. 9 teams, would need to eliminate one to stay at 8 (I vote BC). They bailed out first, so F them.

That tourney should only include the originals:

Cuse ('79 - founder)
Providence ('79 - founder)
St Johns ('79 - founder)
GTown ('79 - founder)
Seton Hall (invited, joined '79)
UConn (invited, joined '79)
BC (invited, joined '79)
Nova (invited, joined '80)
Pitt (invited, joined '82)

Would be a great tourney. Only 9 teams, would need to eliminate one to stay at 8 (I vote BC). They bailed out first, so F them.

It is a good idea and indeed should include only the originals.

just make it one of those phony pre-season "invitational tournaments" in which everyone is guaranteed 2 games

Pitt and SU every year, facing off against 2 former Big East foes.

for example:
Year 1
Friday night double header: SU/Georgetown and Pitt/UConn
Saturday night double header: SU/UConn and Pitt/Georgetown

Year 2:
Friday: SU/St. Johns and Pitt/Villanova
Saturday: SU/Villanova and Pitt/SJU

etc.

I'm not in favor of trying to recreate the magic of the Big East Tournaments of old in November. It's sad to see Big East Basketball fold, but having a "remember when these games were great" tournament at the beginning of the season won't be the same. Dave Gavitt already has him name on the trophy to the Hall of Fame Tip Off Classic that is played every November in Connecticut too.

Just like the WVU/Cuse game in the Pinstripe Bowl won't be the same as the battles for the Schwartzwalder Trophy, these old BE rival matchups would be disappointing for fans. They would be missing something.

This idea sure beats the Gotham Classic.

Every team has in conference rivals, but if you can get an out of conference rival to give fans something to get excited about early in the season (every year) you have something special.

I'm hoping SU gets an every season out of conference rival out of leaving the Big East whether it is in a tournament like this or simply by playing Georgetown every year.

Exactly...get a core group every year...set up a tourney.

Hell Cuse could do a Carrier Classic at MSG every November or December.

Invite 2-3 ex BE schools to play.

Do something like Moqui said...Cuse could even invite Pitt or Louisville to play as long as Cuse doesn't play them. No need to have a winner...just set up 4 matches over two nights.

The only way to do this would be to do a double-header (like the Jimmy V Classic) with 4 teams, or maybe 8 teams over 2 nights, but not a tournament.

The benefit to the early season tournaments are that they're exempt from the NCAA basketball schedule limits. It counts as one game to the limit but the teams get to play 3 or 4. Can't do that with these teams as they're all coming from one or two conferences.

Why?

No problem with having teams from 3-4 different playing in a tourney
It's my understanding that since 2006, the following restrictions were put in place in order to get rid of the "two in four" rule on in-season tournaments.
1) the same team can't play in the same tournament more than once in a four year period.
2) no more than one team from a conference can play in a tournament.

Edit... I understand now that it wouldn't be a tournament in the traditional sense. My fault.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom