David Teel plugged in ACC reporter is discussing divisional realignment | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

David Teel plugged in ACC reporter is discussing divisional realignment

From Resonator: The easiest solution is to leave the divisions as they are, and, let the likes of FSU-GT schedule each other as OOC games if they want to play each other more often.

Above is not going to happen...just about as close to saying NEVER as one can say...
Good idea...but doesn't fit with the ACC conference scheduling..OOC means out of ACC

Three points:

1. There are a bazillion ways to make the current setup better. Pods or a fully functioning zipper (i.e. Uva opposite VT) would be a good start. Yeah, if ND is about join a anyway, then it can wait.
2. If the ACC wants to schedule a game, then make it OOD (out of division) instead of OOC. No biggie.
3. The NC and VA schools have their main rivals in state. So, they should be the ones with extra OOD games, not GT and FSU.

Assuming ND is not joining, which is the correct assumption, imho then I submit the following:

While acknowledging Htown Orange's excellent reason as to why not to go to a North/South split with Miami in the North, even taking into account that risk (and make no mistake about it, it is a risk), there are also compelling reasons to consider it seriously as well.

1) Familiarity - While there is risk to basically dividing the ACC along Big East/ACC lines within the family, there is also reward to it as well outside the family. Familiarity. Does the casual ACC fan, not the die-hards but the casual ACC fan, even know which team is in which division? I liken the current divisional set-up to the BiG's Leaders and Legends strangeness. Well-meaning but more confusing than practical.

Also while the die-hard SU, Pitt, and Louisville fans want those match-ups with the likes of FSU and Clemson in the Atlantic or GT and UNC in the Coastal on a regular basis, will the casual Big East fan that was following the conference before but didn't necessarily have a favorite team be more likely to follow the ACC now with the current set-up or a N/S split? This leads directly into...

2) Regional Quality - In the era of super-conferences the strength of the Old ACC (smaller compact regional conference) is gone. But in divisional line-up (even if it exists for only football and not basketball), a sense of that regional quality can be restored to a certain degree. Will it be restored entirely, no. But as already pointed out, there are always winners and losers in divisional set-ups, the best one can hope for is minimize what is lost or at the very least give solid reasons as to why it's being done. Which leads into...

3) Branding - East Coast Conference from Massachusetts to Florida. Marketing 101 - Getting your message across is made easier when the concepts used in selling the brand are simple and self-evident. Divisional set-up is one such concept in this regard.

With the BiG's recent eastern move, and my saying that the Big Ten will have difficulty overcoming the decades upon decades of being branded the Midwestern Conference FrankTheTank suggested in a different thread that the BiG was trying to become the Northern Conference from Nebraska to Maryland. My response to that was northeasterners see themselves more Eastern than Northern, especially the lower states such as New Jersey and Maryland and though I didn't say it then I will say it now that Pennsylvania is torn between being midwestern and eastern.

Now I do admit that the BiG helped itself by how it reorganized. Also I still feel that just by virtue of having PSU they have the upper hand in terms of product when it comes to the I-95 corridor. Let's make sure we don't allow them to take the built in branding edge the ACC has had since 2003 and now reinforced as of expansion with SU, Pitt, and ND in terms of being the conference of the entire East Coast because that could damage...

4) The proposed ACC Network.

Is there any doubt amongst us that an ACCN would get carriage in the states of North Carolina and Virginia, regardless of divisional set-up? I don't, but I'm willing to listen to others thoughts in this area.

The next most likely state in the ACC to carry the ACCN is Florida. I see Florida as a state that is divided between true southerners and transplanted northeasterners.

So would the former be more likely to buy into an ACCN with the Noles playing more southern opponents and the latter more likely to buy into an ACCN with the Hurricanes playing more northeastern opponents? Add ND's appeal in the state of Florida to the latter group and I think that is the ACC's best strategy to get carriage in that state.

I will defer to Georgians and South Carolinians as to what set-up would be favorable to getting ACCN carriage in their states.

So now comes the difficult part, carriage in the states of New York, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania. What line-up gives the ACCN the most likelihood of getting maximum coverage in those three states to whatever degree is attainable? If the goal is a successful ACCN three years down the road, the ACC needs to get its ducks in a row soon.

Cheers,
Neil

PS to Scooch, is that Game of Thrones enough for you? ;)

Louisville, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Boston College, Virginia Tech, Virginia, Miami as good in football and basketball as the other side, North Carolina, North Carolina St, Duke, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Florida St, Clemson. Someone is going to have to realize that we are one conference, and that alignment gives us the best scheduling for tv, and that is the most important thing.

Again my suggestion I don't see who complains about this alignment

Atlantic
Boston College
Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Louisville
Pittsburgh
Syracuse

Coastal
Duke
Miami(Fl)
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

Crossovers
Boston College-Virginia Tech
Clemson-NC State
Florida State- Miami(Fl)
Georgia Tech-Duke
Louisville-North Carolina
Pittsburgh-Virginia
Syracuse-Wake Forest

I realize WoadBlue told me why he thinks it won't happen, but this arrangement makes everyone happy IMO. The Coastal division would have 4 NC schools playing annually, the VA schools have a lot of close games to attend, and Miami keeps Florida recruiting and plays good rivalry games. The Atlantic is basically 2 divisions within one Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech as Southeast football programs and Syracuse, Boston College, Pittsburgh as an old Big East rivalry and Louisville has potential to rival with both factions. This keeps Florida recruiting for both divisions.

If I was ranking the current ACC football brands I would go
1. Florida State
2. Miami
3. Clemson
4. Virginia Tech
5. Georgia Tech
6. North Carolina
7.Louisville
8. Pittsburgh
9. NC State
10. Syracuse
11. Virginia
12. Boston College
13. Wake Forest
14. Duke

My divisions would have 1,3,5,7,8,10,12 in one division and 2,4,6,911,13,14 in other division.

Again my suggestion I don't see who complains about this alignment

Atlantic
Boston College
Clemson
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Louisville
Pittsburgh
Syracuse

Coastal
Duke
Miami(Fl)
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

Crossovers
Boston College-Virginia Tech
Clemson-NC State
Florida State- Miami(Fl)
Georgia Tech-Duke
Louisville-North Carolina
Pittsburgh-Virginia
Syracuse-Wake Forest

I realize WoadBlue told me why he thinks it won't happen, but this arrangement makes everyone happy IMO. The Coastal division would have 4 NC schools playing annually, the VA schools have a lot of close games to attend, and Miami keeps Florida recruiting and plays good rivalry games. The Atlantic is basically 2 divisions within one Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech as Southeast football programs and Syracuse, Boston College, Pittsburgh as an old Big East rivalry and Louisville has potential to rival with both factions. This keeps Florida recruiting for both divisions.

If I was ranking the current ACC football brands I would go
1. Florida State
2. Miami
3. Clemson
4. Virginia Tech
5. Georgia Tech
6. North Carolina
7.Louisville
8. Pittsburgh
9. NC State
10. Syracuse
11. Virginia
12. Boston College
13. Wake Forest
14. Duke

My divisions would have 1,3,5,7,8,10,12 in one division and 2,4,6,911,13,14 in other division.

Save your breath, man. There is not going to be a divisional realignment. None of the ACC ADs have the stomach for the fight that would ensue over any attempt. If any realignment were to ever occur, it would be for S/N Divisions. And, we both know UVA and VPI would vote against that vehemently. The best fix is to allow the schools who want to play more often be allowed to schedule each other as OOC games.

Save your breath, man. There is not going to be a divisional realignment. None of the ACC ADs have the stomach for the fight that would ensue over any attempt. If any realignment were to ever occur, it would be for S/N Divisions. And, we both know UVA and VPI would vote against that vehemently. The best fix is to allow the schools who want to play more often be allowed to schedule each other as OOC games.

I see the only way to change the current set up is with another expansion or with ESPN having a "heart to heart" talk with the ACC about needing to realign. This will occur if it ESPN can prove their point. Further, if ESPN can prove their point, the ACC will seriously listen.

As for the former issue of expansion, that is not happening any time soon, in my opinion.

I see the only way to change the current set up is with another expansion or with ESPN having a "heart to heart" talk with the ACC about needing to realign. This will occur if it ESPN can prove their point. Further, if ESPN can prove their point, the ACC will seriously listen.

As for the former issue of expansion, that is not happening any time soon, in my opinion.

Agreed. While I do like the idea of a S/N split, both VA schools would never go for that alignment. Even if ESPN pushed the ACC to do it.

Expanding again is a non-starter, unless ND joins fulltime, which isn't happening anytime soon. So, theres no need to expand, just for the sake of it. The ACC would for sure listen to what ESPN had to say, but, I don't know that the league presidents would go for it.

i like adam gods idea.

selfishly that works because id like to get atlanta on the schedule every other year.

Agreed. Want GTech as a regular opponent.