Day 10 Camp 8/11/2014 Tweets, Articles, Photos and Video | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Day 10 Camp 8/11/2014 Tweets, Articles, Photos and Video

I was skeptical the moment he left the team... hope my skepticism is off base.

Same.

Hopefully it's minor and everything works out well for him. But "family problem" is a commonly-used cover for more serious troubles.

BuyOmw6IcAAifjY.jpg:large

http://dailyorange.com/2014/08/fort-drum-trip-holds-greater-meaning-for-syracuse-head-coach-shafer/

Fort Drum trip holds greater meaning for Syracuse head coach Shafer
By Phil D'AbbraccioAsst. Sports Editor

Syracuse players venturing to Fort Drum for training camp will interact and train with troops and won’t have cellphone service.
But for head coach Scott Shafer, the time spent around military personnel has extra meaning to it.
He had two grandfathers who served in World War II, an uncle who was an airborne Ranger who was killed in Laos during the Vietnam War and a cousin who was killed in Iraq.
“I think for each and every one of us there’s different degrees,” Shafer said after Monday’s practice. “For me, it’s doing the right thing, giving back…
“I can’t wait to get up there and pay respect to those real men and women putting it on the line every day.”
For the third year in a row, the Orange is packing up and moving its training camp from Syracuse to Fort Drum, an army reservation located nearly 90 miles northeast up Interstate-81. The team is leaving Monday afternoon and will return Friday.
The players will be split into groups of six or seven and will be assigned to one of 12 sergeants of the 10th Mountain Division. The sergeants, not the SU assistant coaches, will conduct bed checks, breakfast checks and wake-up calls and will supervise the team’s activities throughout the day.
“We had that last year and I thought it was a great thing,” Shafer said. “And what I most look forward to is the opportunity for our players to look across the table at the real warriors and the real heroes right now in our society — especially up there at Fort Drum with that Mountain Division, a group of men and women who really go out there and kick ass for our country.”
On the field, SU has recognized the 10th Mountain Division by carrying the unit’s flag onto the field before each game the past two seasons. Former head coach Doug Marrone started the trend in training camp in 2012 and Shafer has continued it.
In addition to the team’s exposure to the military experience, the larger perspective the team can leave with is another reason Shafer cites for continuing to bring his program to Fort Drum.
“I think it’s a great way to teach one of the themes that I really believe in and that is that everything’s overrated,” Shafer said. “Everything’s overrated, except for your faith and your family and your friendships. Football, football games, playing this game is overrated. So let’s not take it too serious. Let’s not put ourselves in this tight mode where we get all tight and we don’t enjoy life.
“One thing that’s underrated is what those men and women do for us.”

I dont know if you guys follow his instagram but wayne williams really believes he's one and done. I feel like if he gets graded anywhere in 7 rounds then he's gone.

I dont know if you guys follow his instagram but wayne williams really believes he's one and done. I feel like if he gets graded anywhere in 7 rounds then he's gone.
The same WW who was going to be up there freshman year, then sophomore year, then junior year... WW needs to worry about being in shape before he can worry about his Draft status.

I'd love to have him for 2 years but if he somehow works himself into the top 3 rounds of next years NFL draft that will mean we won a lot of games this year.

The same WW who was going to be up there freshman year, then sophomore year, then junior year... WW needs to worry about being in shape before he can worry about his Draft status.
Examples? Not saying you are wrong, I'm just curious

It never gets old... love it.

The desk at the end, where they were handing out towels. Thats the CQ desk. I've pulled wayyy to many 24 hour shifts sitting at that desk. It gets so hot sitting there. Trying to talk someone who has a room close to their desk to stick their router in the hall way so you can get wifi. Ughh I hated CQ lol

That's comical. Our interior DLine I fear will be this teams undoing so I pray he's good enough to be one and done. He's playing behind defensive ends at tackle right now.

As a second or 3rd stringer that means he'll have exploded and been as good as Bromley. We'll need it.

That's comical. Our interior DLine I fear will be this teams undoing so I pray he's good enough to be one and done. He's playing behind defensive ends at tackle right now.

As a second or 3rd stringer that means he'll have exploded and been as good as Bromley. We'll need it.

I would be in the same boat with you except in 2010 we had a top 15 defense in the country with Anthony Perkins, Bud Tribbey and Andrew Lewis as our top 3 DTs. Bromley was just a true freshman.

Wish Raymon could play - and/or Williams was a one-and-done - but I think Crume, Sloan, Coleman with a little Isaiah Johnson sprinkled in is on par with what we had in 2010.

Whitey23 said:

He needs to secure a starting job before he thinks about anything.