Day 11 Camp (Ft. Drum) 8/12/14 Tweets,Articles, Photos, Video | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Day 11 Camp (Ft. Drum) 8/12/14 Tweets,Articles, Photos, Video

Close
Bu3gzX-CMAAlz_-.jpg:large

Stephen Bailey‏@Stephen_Bailey11m
Jarrod West, Adrian Flemming, Ashton Broyld and Jamal Custis shuffled in with the first team. 2s: Funderburk/Lewis/Ishmael/Moore.

Mmm, no Corneilus ? Or did he mean Corneilus and not Moore?

Stephen Bailey‏@Stephen_Bailey11m
Jarrod West, Adrian Flemming, Ashton Broyld and Jamal Custis shuffled in with the first team. 2s: Funderburk/Lewis/Ishmael/Moore.

Mmm, no Corneilus ? Or did he mean Corneilus and not Moore?

Cornelius...
Stephen Bailey‏@Stephen_Bailey1 1m
He was there. Worked with the 3s in the limited 11-on-0 drills that we saw. I don't put a ton of weight in the groupings.

Phil D'Abbraccio‏@PhilDAbb 44m
Head coach Scott Shafer on Fort Drum: "Can't even begin to tell you how much I appreciate being here."

Jesse Dougherty‏@dougherty_jesse 44m
Shafer likens meeting a new group of troops to losing a class of seniors. Eludes to his "next man up" slogan.

Phil D'Abbraccio‏@PhilDAbb 43m
Shafer: This really gives our kids a chance to think and not be selfish.

Jesse Dougherty‏@dougherty_jesse 45m
Shafer on what his team gets out of the Fort Drum experience: selflessness, small group leadership and giving back.

Stephen Bailey‏@Stephen_Bailey1 40m
Sean Avant and Corey Cooper missed practice with upper-body injuries. Troy Green and Ashton Broyld both saw time at H-back.

Phil D'Abbraccio‏@PhilDAbb 42m
Shafer: Upper-body injuries for Sean Avant and Corey Cooper. 2-3 days, he estimates.

Daily Orange Sports‏@DOsports 13m
Syracuse defense takes in first practice at Fort Drum, @PhilDAbb writes: http://bit.ly/1p3eFaO

Syracuse defense takes in first practice at Fort Drum and other observations
By Phil D'AbbraccioAsst. Sports Editor
29 minutes ago
FORT DRUM, N.Y. — At 4:55 p.m., a horn sounded.
The bustle of practice halted. Players took off their helmets and put them on their sides, and coaches removed their hats. The patriotic gesture, seemingly out of nowhere, served as a reminder that this practice was on an army base. But after a few seconds, a voice loud enough for the whole field to hear called out, “False alarm.”
Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer, standing in the middle of the field, turned to his defensive backs and said with a laugh, “Get back to practice.”
Defensive backs
Pass defense was the lesson taught to the Syracuse defensive backs on Tuesday afternoon.
After working his players through backpedaling drills and honing their tackling technique, defensive backs coach Fred Reed delved into zone coverage. Off a snap, he had his cornerbacks bump their fellow corners — acting as wide receivers — 5 yards off the line of scrimmage, before dropping into zone coverage.
When he whistled a play dead, Reed wanted his corners to have their backs to the sideline, 3 yards off of it and about 10 yards from the line of scrimmage. Junior Julian Whigham needed more explanation from Reed during the portion of practice open to the media, but sophomore Corey Winfield, a newly converted wide receiver, seemed to please Reed with his grasp of the scheme.
Later in the practice, Reed split his group into safeties and cornerbacks. The corners held their hands behind their backs and covered a wide receiver, isolating just their footwork and ability to stay with their assignment.
The safeties went back to backpedaling drills and then picking off out routes from Reed.
Linebackers
A few yards downfield, linebackers coach Clark Lea instructed drills for fumble recovery, rolling a ball on the ground for his charging players to either scoop or fall on.
“Scrape the ground,” Lea told them. “Bend those knees, square up the ball.”
After picking off out routes thrown by Lea, the linebackers worked on throwing aside blocks and tracking down ball carriers. Then Lea upped the ante, bringing a dummy onto the field and placing it down with his linebackers approaching, training them to make solo tackles in the open field.
They completed different variations of the drill, including a drill when the linebackers went forward, backpedaled, then tackled the dummy from the side. Another drill entailed two linebackers starting off next to each other, moving 5 yards away from each other to opposite sides, and then converging back to meet the ball carrier.

Last edited:
Daily Orange Sports‏@DOsports 10m
Upper-body injuries sideline Avant, Cooper; Broyld, Green fill in at H-back, @PhilDAbb writes: http://bit.ly/1p3fd0v

Upper-body injuries sideline Avant, Cooper; Broyld, Green fill in at H-back
By Phil D'AbbraccioAsst. Sports Editor
26 minutes ago
FORT DRUM, N.Y. — One of Scott Shafer’s many catchphrases is “next man up,” but a number of absences at the H-back position forced Syracuse to improvise in finding that man on Tuesday.
Junior Ashton Broyld, a former H-back, currently a receiver, spent time at his old position and Troy Green, a quarterback at the end of last year, got some reps as well.
“We saw Troy get some shots today,” Shafer said in a post-practice press conference, “and Ashton actually had a really good day, made some great catches and moved down the field. Didn’t hurt that the grass was a little slippery so his defensive guys looked like they were on a rodeo horse or something.”
The preseason depth chart at H-back reads: Brisly Estime, Sean Avant, Corey Winfield, Corey Cooper and Franklin Santos.
Estime is still nursing his sprained ankle. Avant and Cooper were sidelined from Tuesday’s practice at Fort Drum with upper-body injuries. Winfield just moved to cornerback and Santos left the team last week.
Shafer said the team will take it day-by-day with Avant and Cooper, and he hopes to get them back in two or three days.
Even with the options on the depth chart all used up, the head coach still stressed the meaning behind his saying.
“The next guy up on the depth chart goes in and he runs those same plays,” Shafer said. “Maybe not as fast, maybe not as sharp, but he busts his ass to do the same job that the two or three guys in front of him did. It’s a simple formula. Guy goes down, next man up.”

Last edited:
http://cuse.com/news/2014/8/12/FB_0812141804.aspx#.U-qu-bl0y1s

Fostering relationships was the theme for the Orange on Tuesday when the team spent its first full day at Fort Drum, with Syracuse meeting new faces of the 2nd Brigade Combat team – the team's host this year – and looking forward to rekindling relationships with troops from previous visits.

Syracuse had its first interactions with members of the 2nd Brigade Combat Team during a morning workout and lunch prior to the team's first practice on post.

Col. David Doyle -- the unit's commander -- formally welcomed head coach Scott Shafer and the Orange to Fort Drum following practice.

"On behalf of Major General Townsend and the 10th Mountain Division and Fort Drum, it's my honor to welcome the Syracuse football team here to our installation as they prepare for their upcoming season. We've had a long relationship with the Syracuse football team thanks to coach's efforts and the unit that previously handled this responsibility just came back from Afghanistan and we're very fortunate to have accepted this role on their behalf.

"Our unit is working in close conjunction with them as they prepare for their season that's coming up. Our soldiers are interacting with them, we've got some outstanding leader development opportunities ahead of us, where the coaching staff is going to speak with our leaders and I think at the end of the day this relationship will continue to strengthen and we'll see more opportunities for the soldiers, student-athletes and the Syracuse coaching staff to continue to work with the North Country community."

With a large portion of the week dedicated to the Orange developing relationships with the troops, Shafer expressed his excitement that some of the soldiers that the team had previously interacted with coming back to post.

"I just want to say thanks so much to the Colonel and to General Townsend for having us back. It's exciting to hear that the troops are coming back. I know we had a big deployment after we were here last year so it's great to hear that they're coming back and hopefully we can rekindle some of those relationships. I can't even begin to tell you how much we appreciate not only being here, but the comradery between the troops. This morning we had a great opportunity with some of your men and women and it was a great opportunity for us to mingle."

Shafer reiterated the importance of the Orange's trip to Fort Drum and the lessons that the student-athletes learn from their time on post.

"It's easy to feel sorry for yourself when you're in two-a-days, and I'd imagine the troops have those moments of weakness when they're in boot camp," Shafer said. "But for our guys to sit across from the troops and realize 'hey, he's 21, I'm 21. He's up in the mountains of Afghanistan so I can go out and play football."

The Orange will continue their preseason camp at Fort Drum on Wednesday, with another joint activity with the 2nd Brigade Combat Team in the morning.

javadoc said:
SCHEDULE ARMY ALREADY! Long term! Let ND and Navy have their relationship. Let's do the same for Army and us.

I have said this for years. One at Army for every two at Syracuse. And that is a great road game for us to go to. I've been myself in the 80's (we lost), and the pageantry before the game with all the cadets is amazing. Stadium is good size, and creates that in-state match up we lack. Make it happen.

***Just want to say this is the greatest thing we do as a program. I love reading all this and watching the videos. I feel like there is no question that implementing this trip a few years ago has played a huge part in our programs resurgence.