Day Five Spring Practice: Thurs, March 30, 2017 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Day Five Spring Practice: Thurs, March 30, 2017

Someone better tell the staff. I took it directly from his cuse.com bio.

I just remembered the article and thought it was odd that he would enroll early and be participating in Spring practice if he would have to sit. :noidea:

edit: You're right. He has to sit out.

Stephen Bailey‏Verified account @Stephen_Bailey1 14m14 minutes ago
@Stephen_Bailey1 That would be starting in 2018. Conners must sit out this year due to NCAA transfer rules.

Last edited:
Riley is so darn small it's hard seeing him out there. Johnson & Johnson will get every opportunity to get on the field I'd imagine.

I just remembered the article and thought it was odd that he would enroll early and be participating in Spring practice if he would have to sit. :noidea:

edit: You're right. He has to sit out.

Stephen Bailey‏Verified account @Stephen_Bailey1 14m14 minutes ago
@Stephen_Bailey1 That would be starting in 2018. Conners must sit out this year due to NCAA transfer rules.
Another ridiculous rule from the NCAA. A student has to sit out a year after already sitting out the previous year.

IMG_0281.PNG
He may be able to skirt the one year sit rule

View attachment 94112 He may be able to skirt the one year sit rule
Holy Cross doesn't offer athletic scholarships for football, I'm pretty sure, but I believe they still recruit kids to go there. So unfortunately I'm not sure if he'll be able to get around it.

Plus I wouldn't trust the NCAA to make a correct decision on a waiver.

Holy Cross doesn't offer athletic scholarships for football, I'm pretty sure, but I believe they still recruit kids to go there. So unfortunately I'm not sure if he'll be able to get around it.

Plus I wouldn't trust the NCAA to make a correct decision on a waiver.
my cursory research (i.e. Wikipedia) shows that the Patriot League (including Holy Cross) started offering football scholarships in 2013 - no more than 15/year and no more than 60 total. If Conners was one of the 15 scholarships in his incoming class at Holy Cross, then he'd have to sit out.

my cursory research (i.e. Wikipedia) shows that the Patriot League (including Holy Cross) started offering football scholarships in 2013 - no more than 15/year and no more than 60 total. If Conners was one of the 15 scholarships in his incoming class at Holy Cross, then he'd have to sit out.
I've always found it a little farcical with the Patriot and Ivy League scholarships. While they didn't offer "athletic" scholarships, they had academic scholarships that were only available to athletes. I had a good friend who had one such scholarship while playing football for a Patriot League program. When he quit the team after sophomore year, the scholarship went to someone else on the football team.

I know of a few other athletes who attended Ivy schools that had the same sort of academic scholarship. I think the better Patriot and Ivy programs all have similar arrangements.

I've always found it a little farcical with the Patriot and Ivy League scholarships. While they didn't offer "athletic" scholarships, they had academic scholarships that were only available to athletes. I had a good friend who had one such scholarship while playing football for a Patriot League program. When he quit the team after sophomore year, the scholarship went to someone else on the football team.

I know of a few other athletes who attended Ivy schools that had the same sort of academic scholarship. I think the better Patriot and Ivy programs all have similar arrangements.

Happens at D3 too. I know of guys on Ithaca's football team in the 80's who were on academic scholarship, who I don't know if they would've qualified for one if they weren't playing football.