Day Four Fall Football Practice: Tuesday 8/9/16 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Day Four Fall Football Practice: Tuesday 8/9/16

Not sure if Custis or Enoicy has enough tiger in them to stick their hand in the dirt and go toe to toe with ACC DE's. TE is the a big part of their run game. They have to be able to block down on 5 tech's and LB's also.

From the way early and limited practice reports, Custis is playing very well at WR #2.
I've seen that before (Custis looking good pre-season) but then he doesn't seem to get in games or do much. He played in 9 games last year and had one catch for 7 yards ... that's for the SEASON.

I've seen that before (Custis looking good pre-season) but then he doesn't seem to get in games or do much. He played in 9 games last year and had one catch for 7 yards ... that's for the SEASON.

Did we throw the ball 8 or 9 times all last year, I forget...

Custis is a kid where the staff blew his redshirt year to throw him bubble screens.

Very good point. Would love to have that year back, more mature and in dino's hands;) looking back, to think, bubbles to an average speed long athlete catching the ball behind the line of scrimmage and flat footed? Head scratcher.

Very good point. Would love to have that year back, more mature and in dino's hands;) looking back, to think, bubbles to an average speed long athlete catching the ball behind the line of scrimmage and flat footed? Head scratcher.
This is exactly my point .. why isn't this kid playing TE? For the same reasons he doesn't belong on bubble-screens, I don't see him getting sufficient separation (as a WR) drawing a CB or safety. But if he draws a LB, different story. Hey .. I'm no FB expert. But a guy 6'5 230+ who can catch?/? Maybe he would be better utilized as a TE with LB coverage than 1 catch as a WR for 9 yards all year.

Last edited:
reedny said:

Reports are what they are. And I don't remember a lot of buzz coming from players, like Strickland did last season.

Hearing good things about his play at WR doesn't preclude a move to TE of course - but hearing nothing would be a better sign that a position switch is a possibility.

This is exactly my point .. why isn't this kid playing TE? For the same reasons he doesn't belong on bubble-screens, I don't see him getting sufficient separation (as a WR) drawing a CB or safety. But if he draws a LB, different story. Hey .. I'm no FB expert. But a guy 6'5 230+ who can catch?/? Maybe he would be better utilized as a TE with LB coverage than 1 catch as a WR for 9 yards all year.
So the last coaching staff mis-utilized him badly, and that's reason enough to move him to TE? WR is far more important in this offense. We have three guys in the WR corps who showed ANYTHING last year, and McPherson, Parris, and Moore all have far more experience at the position. Plus, we know they can all block. I understand your thinking, but we're not nearly far enough into this offense yet to start thinking about producing NFL-sized TEs.

reedny said:

It's not speed. It's his route running. If that gets fixed, he can be productive.

Also that 1 catch was for a touchdown. ;)

Ok, guys. I appreciate your feedback on this.

A guy that big doesn't always need separation if they're good at going and getting the ball over guys much smaller or pinning them on their back.

I haven't heard much about WRs Cooper or Williams yet. I'd imagine that they'd do well in this system. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom