Class of 2020 - DB Charles Bell VI (MD) Committed to Marshall | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 DB Charles Bell VI (MD) Committed to Marshall

Really doubled down on respecting his decision. Even said please.
Well it helps when you ask folk to respect your decision to say it in a respectful way. Ya know...practice what you preach kinda thing. I indeed can respect the fact he is respectfully requesting that we respect his decision.

We don't know what happened here and the melancholy type tweet may indicate it was taken away or maybe the staff hasn't been in touch with him. Kind of feel for him if that was the case especially if he was set on coming in January.

Grades might be an issue here. I’m pretty sure he’s been off our radar for quite some time to be honest.

Good luck to the kid - really like his film and potential.

What a cold world. I mean to offer a kid, accept his commitment (verbally of course) and then ghost him. Is it really done that way? Do coaches really do this? I mean i get it, kids do it too, but they're kids, they don't know better. I wouldnt expect this treatment from a grown man.

What a cold world. I mean to offer a kid, accept his commitment (verbally of course) and then ghost him. Is it really done that way? Do coaches really do this? I mean i get it, kids do it too, but they're kids, they don't know better. I wouldnt expect this treatment from a grown man.
All offers are conditional on the players putting in the time to graduate from HS, meet NCAA minimum requirements and getting accepted by the school. If Charles was in danger of not making the grade, I am sure the staff discussed this with him and made it clear what needed to be done.

Seems like a good young man. I hope he makes it to college and gets a degree on an athletic scholarship.

Yes, coaches do that. Happened to my son, and a friend of his.

I mean, if they are going to make their recruitment a public dialogue, I generally dont see anything weird about saying, if you are not a booster or otherwise off limits, hey hope you come to SU...or something otherwise benign
Agree to disagree...its a slippery slope.

I don’t think they “ghosted him” (pretty sure it wasn’t a Tinder thing). Most schools set guidelines about grades needed by first semester, etc. they are very transparent up front with borderline qualifiers.

I mean, if they are going to make their recruitment a public dialogue, I generally dont see anything weird about saying, if you are not a booster or otherwise off limits, hey hope you come to SU...or something otherwise benign
If you buy tickets to a SU sporting event, technically you are a booster.

And even if you're not, tweeting at a 17 year old as an adult is a really weird thing to do.

I don’t think they “ghosted him” (pretty sure it wasn’t a Tinder thing). Most schools set guidelines about grades needed by first semester, etc. they are very transparent up front with borderline qualifiers.

But why not a call/email, hey we got your grades, they didnt make the cut, Therefore we can no longer offer you a scholarship blah blah blah. I mean if the coaches make that understood already its understood, i get it.

But why not a call/email, hey we got your grades, they didnt make the cut, Therefore we can no longer offer you a scholarship blah blah blah. I mean if the coaches make that understood already its understood, i get it.

In fairness we don’t know that they didn’t. They may not have and if so I agree with you. But it’s possible they made him aware and in a way to save face, it’s easier to “decommit” on social media then to tell everyone your offer was pulled for whatever reason.

Who said that we didn't do that?

Someone posted earler "we hadn't been in contact a while". The assumption being that we moved on with no reason given to the young man. I know all of this is speculation, Im just saying

Someone posted earler "we hadn't been in contact a while". The assumption being that we moved on with no reason given to the young man. I know all of this is speculation, Im just saying
Maybe both parties have known for a while now that he wasn't gonna qualify.

Maybe both parties have known for a while now that he wasn't gonna qualify.
It's certainly possible, and makes the most sense.
1575416226894.gif

The way this entire thing was worded it seemed like a formality that was already known, just the feeling I got about it.