Class of 2022 - DB Jalil Martin (IL) Transferring from Nebraska to Syracuse (5/17/23) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 DB Jalil Martin (IL) Transferring from Nebraska to Syracuse (5/17/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Additionally I think its possible recruits read these threads so trying not to say things that are too negative and critical is usually a smart move. Sometimes some posters may take that as everyone has their head in the sand thinking everything is peachy with every recruit. It can be a balancing act sometimes wanting to express a level headed opinion without being too critical. I often think silence on posters giving opinions on some recruits means a lot.

Really happy with getting Jalil Martin who is a highly recruited and has great size for the safety position. I think its very unlikely he contributes this year however. Just because he played multiple positions in high school and was playing WR in spring ball at Nebraska. He will need some time to polish his craft focusing on safety play and learning the defense here but he has time to do so.

Love that we are bringing in more DB's with legitimate size to add to the mix as its necessary but I wish one or two of them was more of an experienced CB type instead of a S as most seem to be more safety types to me. At the very least Cisco better be cross training at corner as well. I'm hoping Quan is ready to start at CB because I don't think Wilson has enough size out there. And i'm not sure Bellamy is quite there yet to be a starter either. I feel like we have a few players there but all of them are spot duty guys and not ready to be the man yet. Depth at CB for this year is still probably my biggest concern.

I think a good safety can certainly be very productive and big difference maker in this defense but its easier to hide subpar safeties than it is to hide subpar CB's.

Last edited:
Yeah, you guys saw 6’2 200 from Nebraska (very comparable program to cuse as of late) and are freaking out. Let’s not act like he’s Ed Reed.
Ummm, ok

Additionally I think its possible recruits read these threads so trying not to say things that are too negative and critical is usually a smart move. Sometimes some posters may take that as everyone has there head in the sand thinking everything is peachy with every recruit. It can be a balancing act sometimes wanting to express a level headed opinion without being too critical. I often think silence on posters giving opinions on some recruits means a lot.

Really happy with getting Jalil Martin who is a highly recruited and has great size for the safety position. I think its very unlikely he contributes this year however. Just because he played multiple positions in high school and was playing WR in spring ball at Nebraska. He will need some time to polish his craft focusing on safety play and learning the defense here but he has time to do so.

Love that we are bringing in more DB's to add the mix as its necessary but I wish one or two of them was more of an experienced CB type instead of a S as most seem to be more safety types to me. At the very least Cisco better be cross training at corner as well. I'm hoping Quan is ready to start at CB because I don't think Wilson has enough size out there. And i'm not sure Bellamy is quite there yet to be a starter either. I feel like we have a few players there but all of them are spot duty guys and not ready to be the man yet. Depth at CB for this year is still probably my biggest concern.

I think a good safety can certainly be very productive and big difference maker in this defense but it’s easier to hide subpar safeties than it is to hide a subpar CB's.
Good points. Prospects do come here and read comments. If you don’t see many comments from me it’s probably because I don’t see enough that I like. The staff has a lot more intel on each player so there is a level of trust but it doesn’t mean I like the commit. I’m just not going to come on here and tear him down knowing that there’s a possibility of them reading it.

Additionally I think its possible recruits read these threads so trying not to say things that are too negative and critical is usually a smart move. Sometimes some posters may take that as everyone has there head in the sand thinking everything is peachy with every recruit. It can be a balancing act sometimes wanting to express a level headed opinion without being too critical. I often think silence on posters giving opinions on some recruits means a lot.

Love that we are bringing in more DB's to add the mix as its necessary but I wish one or two of them was more of an experienced CB type instead of a S as most seem to be more safety types to me. At the very least Cisco better be cross training at corner as well. I'm hoping Quan is ready to start at CB because I don't think Wilson has enough size out there. And i'm not sure Bellamy is quite there yet to be a starter either. I feel like we have a few players there but all of them are spot duty guys and not ready to be the man yet. Depth at CB for this year is still probably my biggest concern.

I think a good safety can certainly be very productive and big difference maker in this defense but its easier to hide subpar safeties than it is to hide a subpar CB's.
If I were a recruit, or a family member, and I came on a fan forum and read only positive posts; I would 100% think the posters were lying. I would hope these people would respect honestly. Let's face it, most of these recruits haven't shown anything on the field yet, at a P5 level.

Well also I think some of our fan base has relegated itself to the notion that a 6 win season is being successful now and our apex is recruiting for a 6 win season.
is it them accepting 6 wins as success or just understanding the struggles of the program? 6 or more wins have only happened 7 times the last 20 years and two of those years were PP’s.

If I were a recruit, or a family member, and I came on a fan forum and read only positive posts; I would 100% think the posters were lying. I would hope these people would respect honestly. Let's face it, most of these recruits haven't shown anything on the field yet.
That’s just you. The mind of 16-18 year olds are different these days. Forums, social media outlets influence them. I know of some prospects who have came here and were discouraged by what they’ve read.

That’s just you. The mind of 16-18 year olds are different these days. Forums, social media outlets influence them. I know of some prospects who have came here and were discouraged by what they’ve read.
Fair enough. Kids like that are probably in for a rude awakening when real life hits them like a brick wall.

If I were a recruit, or a family member, and I came on a fan forum and read only positive posts; I would 100% think the posters were lying. I would hope these people would respect honestly. Let's face it, most of these recruits haven't shown anything on the field yet, at a P5 level.
To each their own. Lot of parents on this board, and I as one love when I get positive comments on my kids. Mine are young, so I'm not looking to hear what they need to work on in life from random strangers, but I do love hearing how well they behave, interact, focus, persist, etc. I don't know how much that will change as they get older. We all want to see them grow up and become successful in their own right and be proud of who they are. So I think for me, I wouldn't be thrilled to read a bunch of negative comments about what they need to work on. I know my kids and I know what they need to work on. However, even if I think people are blowing smoke, it's still nice to hear how great they think my kids are regardless, because it just reaffirms what I already know, they are great kids.

#prouddad ;)

You haven’t been around a lot of sports parents then. There’s nothing they like to hear more than how great their kids are, even if everyone else knows they aren’t.

It’s why we have participation trophies. The 10 year olds kids didn’t order and pay for them; the parents did. But we blame the kids for wanting a participation trophy and this generation is weak. No, the parents are weak.

They also have Adams there. Its a matter of influencing a slot Wr with production to come to SU. One that has multiple P5 options.
Can we use Judah's $400k to nab an elite WR as a nice "signing" bonus?

Yeah, you guys saw 6’2 200 from Nebraska (very comparable program to cuse as of late) and are freaking out. Let’s not act like he’s Ed Reed.
I’ll respond any way I like…thanks though.

Back to Jalil Martin. Not sure I saw his Hudl highlights in the thread (probably just missed them):

Certainly a well put together rangy athlete. Looked like he was a couple notches above his competition. Great body type/athlete to add to the safety/rover room!

Adonis Ameen-Moore, why you so mad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors