DE Chris Slayton - What Do You Think? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

DE Chris Slayton - What Do You Think?

Yeah, whatever it's not 1989 anymore either and the NYC thing was noble but at the end of the day there isn't that much talent in NYC. we also weren't in the ACC twenty years ago, we also didn't have a staff with serious Midwest connections and a guy like GMC, but why trust the best recruiting staff we have had in years. Let's continue to live in the past and rehash the rehashing of the glory years.

Like I said, once we started in the ACC Everything changed, recruit the south and wherever the staff has relationships, everything else is irrelevant regardless of what blue hairs think is best. Who cares where the talent comes from, just get it

Old-school thinking. Just get talent - don't care if it's in Finland, Russia or Baldwinsville.

Yeah, whatever it's not 1989 anymore either and the NYC thing was noble but at the end of the day there isn't that much talent in NYC. we also weren't in the ACC twenty years ago, we also didn't have a staff with serious Midwest connections and a guy like GMC, but why trust the best recruiting staff we have had in years. Let's continue to live in the past and rehash the rehashing of the glory years.

Like I said, once we started in the ACC Everything changed, recruit the south and wherever the staff has relationships, everything else is irrelevant regardless of what blue hairs think is best. Who cares where the talent comes from, just get it

Recruit the south!!!

IthacaBarrel said:
Yeah, whatever it's not 1989 anymore either and the NYC thing was noble but at the end of the day there isn't that much talent in NYC. we also weren't in the ACC twenty years ago, we also didn't have a staff with serious Midwest connections and a guy like GMC, but why trust the best recruiting staff we have had in years. Let's continue to live in the past and rehash the rehashing of the glory years. Like I said, once we started in the ACC Everything changed, recruit the south and wherever the staff has relationships, everything else is irrelevant regardless of what blue hairs think is best. Who cares where the talent comes from, just get it

What's 1989 got to I with it? Every coach since has said the same thing. Can't believe the number of posters that don't understand the basic reason why that statement is always true. Doesn't mean that is the only place you recruit. You always recruit where your coaches have contacts. Duh. But coaches change. Your base doesn't.

SUFan44 said:
Old-school thinking. Just get talent - don't care if it's in Finland, Russia or Baldwinsville.

It's so old school that through numerous coaching changed it remains a truism that our core base is a 6 hour radius. There's a very good reason for that. I wonder if some of you even know why.

OrangePA said:
Recruit the south!!!

We'll always recruit Florida, as any smart school would. And as long as we have contacts in certain southern states, we'll keep some focus there. Doesn't change the fact that NY, PA, NJ, eastern Ohio will always be our base territory. 6 hours is pretty much standard for 95% of the schools.

anomander said:
Absolutely. Amazing that it's that tough to understand. I hope it doesn't happen anything soon, but how long will Smith and Lester be around to recruit Illinois? How long will McDonald stick around to clean up in So Fla? I totally understand going where our coaches have connections, and whoever is in charge has to recruit Florida and the south, but a good chunk of our recruits should come from the 6 hour radius. Coaches will change but whoever is in charge will still have to recruit the northeast

And yet we hear over and over that you can't simply walk into NJ and recruit. The HS coaches there have to have known you for 20+ years before you even get a sniff. In addition to getting kids who genuinely want to be here, I'd also prefer that we recruit where the coaches genuinely just want their kids to get to the next level.

And yet we hear over and over that you can't simply walk into NJ and recruit. The HS coaches there have to have known you for 20+ years before you even get a sniff. In addition to getting kids who genuinely want to be here, I'd also prefer that we recruit where the coaches genuinely just want their kids to get to the next level.

that is a totally valid point. i have been wanting us to hire an assistant that has ties to NJ, be it a HS coach, or college coach that is well connected in the state. otherwise it's pretty pointless.

i have no problem at all what they are doing right now. it is obviously working, it's just what happens if we lose Lester and Smith? I do like the idea of recruiting Illinois because no school can put a claim on it as there own. It's like thee wild west where everyone can come in their and pluck players. It's not like dealing with Ohio where OSU has the lock down on whoever they want. The same can be said about NJ to an extent, but you will always have ND, PSU, and now looks like OSU and Michigan coming in to cherry pick the top players.

anomander said:
Absolutely. Amazing that its that tough to understand. I hope it doesnt happen anything soon, but how long will Smith and Lester be around to recruit Illinois? How long will McDonald stick around to clean up in So Fla? I totally understand going where our coaches have connections, and whoever is in charge has to recruit Florida and the south, but a good chunk of our recruits should come from the 6 hour radius. Coaches will change but whoever is in charge will still have to recruit the northeast

It's only tough for a select few who refuse to face recruiting reality.

It's so old school that through numerous coaching changed it remains a truism that our core base is a 6 hour radius. There's a very good reason for that. I wonder if some of you even know why.

Core 6? Your sub-conscious betrays you. Sweet.

Last years class had 4 of 24 kids from that beloved 6 hour core radius. Seems odd, maybe they all just changed their home addresses.

IthacaBarrel said:
Last years class had 4 of 24 kids from that beloved 6 hour core radius. Seems odd, maybe they all just changed their home addresses.

Or maybe we didn't have a lot of success.

6 so far this year of the 16? I'd say that's not bad for a 6 hour radius.

Last edited:
Or maybe we didn't have a lot of success.

6 so far this year of the 16? I'd say that's not bad for a 6 hour radius.

Either way, I think these guys are doing a great job of recruiting and if they can stay together another 2 years and continue to win on field and get the IPF built we should be in a very good position

IthacaBarrel said:
Either way, I think these guys are doing a great job of recruiting and if they can stay together another 2 years and continue to win on field and get the IPF built we should be in a very good position

They are doing a very good job. Never said they weren't.

They are doing a very good job. Never said they weren't.

I didn't say you did. I still disagree somewhat on this 6 hour radius with the new conference affiliation.

I totally agree with that...this group (recruited kids) looks pretty decent. So far into the cycle as strong a group as any in the last 10-12 years. No more 2 school offer (Akron and Cuse) recruits.

Next year I'd like to see no more than 1 blow out loss (28 pts+) out of the team and staff. The FSU game was the fact we got beat by a freakish team. Clemson I'd love to play over again but they are still basically 14-17 pts better. The GTech game was an absolute embarrassment from a schematic POV. Can we get to 8 wins in the regular season next year? If we do, pay these coaches to keep them here.

As far as the 6 hr POV...I still beleive in it but I'm very happy to get these Chicago kids. They are hardnosed...just like coach. These kids are so superior talent wise over most of the kids GRob was pulling out of the 6 hr ring.

Last edited:
Good work by the coaching staff, but I'll be excited when he faxes in his LOI in February.

orangepassion said:
The 2 big things lacking is a quality OT and DT-Could be solved with Ward and Zeek

Slayton is a big boy. Not saying it will happen but he has the size and frame to be one of those kids that grow into a DT.

Slayton is a big boy. Not saying it will happen but he has the size and frame to be one of those kids that grow into a DT.
that's exactly what's going to happen. Doesn't have the quicks to be an above av. DE but he will be above average in that dept. at DT. HUGE solid get. Very cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom