Class of 2021 - DE Derek McDonald (GA) Offered | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 DE Derek McDonald (GA) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that is exactly what is happening. The staff has X number of slots to fill. Once those slots are full, there is no room at the inn. Good problem to have.

Agreed. McDonald looks like he can play DE or LB and is a really good TE. We'll have to see where they want him. I think we still need to land a DT or 2. Someone who can play inside. If it's just Moss then maybe they feel good about the two freshman who redshirted, but imo we need a few 300lbr DTs on the roster.

I think that is exactly what is happening. The staff has X number of slots to fill. Once those slots are full, there is no room at the inn. Good problem to have.
Ok, so...if he commits and then say...Rooks or Bennett want to commit, we would not turn them away. So, that shifts McDonald's position?

Agreed. McDonald looks like he can play DE or LB and is a really good TE. We'll have to see where they want him. I think we still need to land a DT or 2. Someone who can play inside. If it's just Moss then maybe they feel good about the two freshman who redshirted, but imo we need a few 300lbr DTs on the roster.
It’s not just Moss — Lockett is a DT, too.

It’s great. Hopefully we can get there with other positions too

Ok, so...if he commits and then say...Rooks or Bennett want to commit, we would not turn them away. So, that shifts McDonald's position?

I don’t claim to know the recruiting philosophies of Dino and Co. but I imagine it is something like the following

ideal plan is mapped out with a specific # at each positions with probably 3-5 spots for BPA (position be damned), where if we get a guy that’s this talented we take them no matter what. As the year goes on, the plan adapts, particularly as more and more of the exceptional must take guys no matter what, go elsewhere.

I don’t claim to know the recruiting philosophies of Dino and Co. but I imagine it is something like the following

ideal plan is mapped out with a specific # at each positions with probably 3-5 spots for BPA (position be damned), where if we get a guy that’s this talented we take them no matter what. As the year goes on, the plan adapts, particularly as more and more of the exceptional must take guys no matter what, go elsewhere.
Yeah, makes sense. And, I suppose if a committed player has an issue and leaves due to a more highly ranked player coming in to the fold, that is something they are prepared to let happen, as they should.

Yeah, makes sense. And, I suppose if a committed player has an issue and leaves due to a more highly ranked player coming in to the fold, that is something they are prepared to let happen, as they should.
Yup.

but it probably also explains the rush on the DL, if you want in, we only have 1 spot left, which is what we are telling everyone (except the select few elite kids we will take no matter what). That way we aren’t holding a spot up for an elite kid that we want, but don’t totally expect to come and pass on a kid who makes us better but simply isn’t an elite prospect.

That way we still get our numbers and then if the elite kid wants in, it just makes us stronger, but if he doesn’t, it simply doesn’t hurt us.

How do you know?
Could be using a Jedi mind trick on you.

These are not the recruits you are looking for
;)
Mind tricks don't work on me, only money.

well that works then. We definitely need 2 interior kids this haul and kids that don't need to spend a lot of time getting to 300.
But I will tell you the beauty of this scheme is that you don't need 300 guys. Clemson and Bama freak type lineman are not coming here. Majority of our D lineman will be in the 270-280 range. If most of them are 6'4 they will be able to maintain a good amount of speed and flexibility. That's what they are looking for

Offers from Yale, Bucknell, UPenn, Fordham, Harvard Tenn St, Lafayette, Dartmouth, SIU, Austin Peay,
Holy Cross, Princeton, Akron, UT Chattanooga, Jacksonville St, Murray St, Gardner Webb, UConn,
William & Mary, Syracuse
Feel Austin pee could be a dark horse here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online