Class of 2021 - DE Elijah Fuentes (NY) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 DE Elijah Fuentes (NY) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20)

FYI This is Monroe's best recruiting effort this cycle. Shady had him all set to commit to rutgers in March, Monroe convinced him to wait, then BC came at him hard and he was set to verbal to them. BC thought they had him in the bag but Monroe got him to hold off on them. According to the rutgers boards Shady never gave up on Elijah. He kept pursuing him throughout. Great recruiting battle. Cuse won out. Monroe has the juice.
That is complete B.S. Rutgers backed away just this week. Decided they didn't like his film after all.

If he plays this fall I can see regional analysts bumping him but you never knows with these guys lol. If he had committed to rutgers Dohn would have found a way to bump him no matter what.

With the commit from Elijah does this mean that George Rooks moved on, or is he still in play?

Great pickup! Welcome to Cuse! I wonder if he helps us with any other NY players we are after?
As it happens, Elijah’s HS has a couple of top prospects in the NYS in the class of 2022.

One, Henry Belin, is probably the best QB prospect in NYS in 2022, as well as one of the top prospects in the northeast.

Last edited:
Didn’t he get the commitments of Trill and Qadir?
I know this doesn’t answer your question but the moment I knew Dino was the right guy was him showing up to watch Trill’s HS game the morning after.. I believe it was the Clemson win? The guy has the Friday Night Lights grind

Yeah, Rutgers was the leader. F Dohn:

"It was Syracuse all along," Fuentes said. "It was just to a point where I built a strong relationship with them that I'm choosing to play for them. I built a close relationship with coach Babers, coach Reynolds, coach Monroe, and coach White."

With the commit from Elijah does this mean that George Rooks moved on, or is he still in play?
I don’t want to steer the thread off Fuentes, but I also don’t want your question to go unanswered.

Rooks is the kind of guy that if he calls up Dino and says “I want in” we take him and make the numbers work some how some way. I doubt we are stopping our recruitment of the kid until he has signed an LOI.

that said Fuentes is a guy everyone should be really excited about. It’s always good to keep top talent home, and we will be thrilled with not only Fuentes but the whole crop of DL recruits we are bringing in this cycle

This looks like a quality get to me. Big kid, great frame and lean build, high motor, when this kid gets into a college S&C program he's going to be scary. Shows great playing strength but not particularly twitchy or clean out of his stance but flashes. I think there is alot of room for improvement with his get-off, hand use, and technique. This is encouraging. Shows good disengagement and very good range at the line of scrimmage for a DT. Bottom line, this is a capable, active, and versatile inside DL. Can see him contributing after 1-2 yrs of S&C and coaching. Can see him playing anywhere from 0 nose to 4i.

We don't have 'good' classes. We have 'sneaky good' classes. It's the best we can do.
Gotta start sneaky.

Getting Alton drafted and Kendall in a good spot to make a roster helps.

Next year we also have some guys that if they take the next steps, could put themselves on NFL radars. With this class, I think we have a couple of future NFLer's as well. If we start developing a track record of putting guys in the league that will help us bring in top talent, and not just along the DL either.

Gotta start sneaky.

Getting Alton drafted and Kendall in a good spot to make a roster helps.

Next year we also have some guys that if they take the next steps, could put themselves on NFL radars. With this class, I think we have a couple of future NFLer's as well. If we start developing a track record of putting guys in the league that will help us bring in top talent, and not just along the DL either.
Good point. That's another factor people dont keep in mind. We need more NFL players in the league. It helps sell a kid that is on the fence and our competition use that to negative recruit against us.

Yeah, Rutgers was the leader. F Dohn:

"It was Syracuse all along," Fuentes said. "It was just to a point where I built a strong relationship with them that I'm choosing to play for them. I built a close relationship with coach Babers, coach Reynolds, coach Monroe, and coach White."

Is this really necessary? Rutgers did lead at one point as did BC. He was close to committing to both. Cuse coaches did a great job with building a relationship and winning the kid over.

Another fantastic get by the Syracuse University Coaching/Recruiting Staff. This one checks a lot of the very important boxes. Very good in state player from an area of the state that needs to be recruited heavily. A position of need that you can never get enough of and you beat out a lot of other schools who are going after the same players in the area. Congratulations young Mr. Fuentes on your intelligent choice of Syracuse University Football. Can't wait to see you in action, Go Orange!!!!

This class isn't big on glitz from the services, although SI really likes our class. But imo there is a lot of value here. We've done very well with targeting and landing regional recruits against our peers. Some of the kids we landed hadn't been offered by our peers yet at the time of commit but I'm fairly confident they would have seen more activity as the recruiting cycle progressed. Where we haven't done as well is with the national level recruits, the guys that can contribute immediately. But there is a lot of value here for the program in the long-term.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom