Class of 2018 - DE/OLB Jonah Kahahawai-Welch (HI) Verbal to Navy | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 DE/OLB Jonah Kahahawai-Welch (HI) Verbal to Navy

• Positions: DE, OLB
  • Height & Weight: 6'2" 223lbs
  • 40 Yard Dash: 4.93

• More on the linebacker size, but his 40 time is a bit slow I feel. He will have to work on that.

Think this kid is a reach given his size and lack of speed. His other offers reflect that. Bit of a head scratcher.

Think this kid is a reach given his size and lack of speed. His other offers reflect that. Bit of a head scratcher.

Could be, but I think keeping in mind this is a defensive recruit...that Vandy offer means a lot more than the others. They've got a solid eye for diamonds in the rough regarding defensive talent.

Jesus. Get over HS kids' 40 times. Lots of these kids aren't as strong or as explosive as they will be in a few years...they can go from a 4.9 to 4.8 or 4.7 with appropriate S and C.

TJ Watt ran a 4.71 after 4 yeas of training and months of drill specific training.

Jesus. Get over HS kids' 40 times. Lots of these kids aren't as strong or as explosive as they will be in a few years...they can go from a 4.9 to 4.8 or 4.7 with appropriate S and C.

TJ Watt ran a 4.71 after 4 yeas of training and months of drill specific training.

What? Oh, but JJW was always 6'5 and 250 and growing. This kid is small and slow and not playing any sig hs talent. No comparison.

What? Oh, but JJW was always 6'5 and 250 and growing. This kid is small and slow and not playing any sig hs talent. No comparison.
He's comparing him to TJ Watt...not JJ. JJ was 6'5 220 coming out of highschool, and a 2 star prospect with with only a couple low end p5 offers.

Yeah all that lifting weights stuff and drinking protein shakes and running sprints and flipping tires...all that stuff is just to attract the ladies...LADIES!!! MY MERCEDES!!!

You're either fast and strong and ready for the NFL when you drop out of your mom's hoo-ha or your just not...

most people don't realize how fast a 4.7 or 4.9 actually is, especially for a big human. which tells me that most people have no clue about 40 times.
or that the difference between, say, a 4.7 and 4.9 is a couple of inches for a DE in a realistic football sense.

Mostly, I just wish people would start developing a healthy skepticism for most reported 40 times for high school athletes. Take a look at the NFL combine numbers some time and compare them to supposed high school 40 times and you'd think all these kids get slower with the years of dedicated coaching and S&C work. If the 40 is hand timed there is a built in error bar. To assume precision and obsess over decimal points in such a situation is foolish. That's not to say speed isn't important - of course it is. But it isn't entirely measured in a self reported high school 40 time.

I always love these, "Here are my Top 5, but it's not really a Top 5 as I'll listen to other schools" tweets.
Yeah, it's more of a warning to the "bigger" schools, that he wants to get things going, so they better hit him up quickly or he might "commit" somewhere else.

Yeah, it's more of a warning to the "bigger" schools, that he wants to get things going, so they better hit him up quickly or he might "commit" somewhere else.
EXACTLY

Yeah and then the think tank here will be praying that we can keep the kid once he has bigger offers, too small and slow one day to WE NEED TO HANG ONTO THESE KIDS!!! the next