Dead Team Walking... | Syracusefan.com

Dead Team Walking...

bpo57

Living Legend
hey it happens. You can't have a bona fide contender every year. From here on out I would be very happy with two wins in the BET and at least one win in the NCAAs (two would be awesome).

This team fooled people at 18-1 mainly because our defense was solid and our schedule to that point was soft as a baby's behind. The first time I really noticed serious offensive ineptitude was the Cinci game that we won by two but coming off a great game at L'ville I hoped it was temporary. But it became obvious to our opponents that we had no offensive production out of the center position and that if they could get SU in a half-court game we would struggle mightily due to erratic outside shooting. Earlier in the season we played bad teams that turned the ball over and gave us easy points in transition. The better teams wouldn't allow that to happen hence the lack of quality wins this year. I said a month ago we were somewhere btw 15-25. I was wrong. More like 25-35.

I think once the good teams figured that we weren't a very good half court team, they planned accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I said a month ago we were somewhere btw 15-25. I was wrong. More like 25-35.

Agree with what you said a month ago but the 25-35 is a stretch imo.. We've been losing to some pretty good teams.

The horrible play has coincided with playing top teams almost day in, day out and the discovery of zoning the %$#@ out of us makes us look like amateurs.

Agree with what you said a month ago but the 25-35 is a stretch imo.. We've been losing to some pretty good teams.

The reason why I say 25-35 is that there are plenty of decent teams outside of the BE. I don't view the BE as being a superior conference.

The reason why I say 25-35 is that there are plenty of decent teams outside of the BE. I don't view the BE as being a superior conference.

besides the B1G what other conferences do you rate ahead of the Big East?

besides the B1G what other conferences do you rate ahead of the Big East?

To be clear I'm not saying it's a bad conference just not superior to some of the others. BE is kind of hard to compare because it's so large. The bottom five range from bad to very mediocre. One of the middle teams is ineligible. The two best are Gtown and Lville. I don't think much of the rest and don't think they'll do much in the tournament.

B1G is superior to everybody. I think the B12 and ACC are very close to the BE. I know few will agree with this but the top five in the A10 are very close to the top five in the BE. I'd give the BE a very slight edge.

To be clear I'm not saying it's a bad conference just not superior to some of the others. BE is kind of hard to compare because it's so large. The bottom five range from bad to very mediocre. One of the middle teams is ineligible. The two best are Gtown and Lville. I don't think much of the rest and don't think they'll do much in the tournament.

B1G is superior to everybody. I think the B12 and ACC are very close to the BE. I know few will agree with this but the top five in the A10 are very close to the top five in the BE. I'd give the BE a very slight edge.

I don't disagree with any of the above but if you don't see us as top 25, I'd love to see your top 25. (has nothing to do with conferences).

hey it happens. You can't have a bona fide contender every year.

The horrible play has coincided with playing top teams almost day in, day out and the discovery of zoning the %$#@ out of us makes us look like amateurs.

When were we a contender every year or any year in recent memory?

The problem is the teams around us continued to improve as the season went on... but we didn't...

That "just happens" how exactly?

I don't mind losing, but to play the same inept game again and again and show little to no improvement and play soft and dumb over and over... it's sad and baffling.

Not to mention that the teams around us continued to improve as the season went on... but not us...
Lol, you'd think a team made up of a Sophomore PG, Senior SG, Junior SF, Senior PF, Sophomore C, RS Freshman SG, True Freshman PF and another Junior C miiiiiiight have some upside. Instead we've gone the opposite way off a cliff.

Sidenote. I dont know how to make memes but can someone make one for Triche that says "Gets named leader of team...Never scores again."

When were we a contender every year or any year in recent memory?

The problem is the teams around us continued to improve as the season went on... but we didn't...

That "just happens" how exactly?

I don't mind losing, but to play the same inept game again and again and show little to no improvement and play soft and dumb over and over... it's sad and baffling.

Uh we were the #1 seed in 2010 and 2012. In your mind that doesn't qualify as being a contender?

I don't disagree with any of the above but if you don't see us as top 25, I'd love to see your top 25. (has nothing to do with conferences).

Here you go: IU, MSU, UM, OSU, Duke, Miami, UNC, Stl, VCU, Gtown, Lville, Pitt, Marq, Fla, MIzzou, Gonz, KU, KSt, Okst, Creighton, NM, Memphis, UNLV, AZ, and UCLA.

Uh we were the #1 seed in 2010 and 2012. In your mind that doesn't qualify as being a contender?

No, it doesn't.

A 1-seed w/o Onuaku was a gift... we stopped being a contender when he went down.

Last year, overrated.

We'll get a 6-seed this year and we probably deserve a 12.

Here you go: IU, MSU, UM, OSU, Duke, Miami, UNC, Stl, VCU, Gtown, Lville, Pitt, Marq, Fla, MIzzou, Gonz, KU, KSt, Okst, Creighton, NM, Memphis, UNLV, AZ, and UCLA.

All could beat us on a given night but I have a hard time with Memphis, Pitt, Mizzou, Creighton, NM and UCLA being able to beat us more times than not.
Can you at least admit that playing good teams like Gtown, Louisville, Marq, Pitt can make a good team appear to be bad?

All could beat us on a given night but I have a hard time with Memphis, Pitt, Mizzou, Creighton, NM and UCLA being able to beat us more times than not.
Can you at least admit that playing good teams like Gtown, Louisville, Marq, Pitt can make a good team appear to be bad?

Obviously I am a little more down on SU this year than most. When I said they'd lose eight games and be in the 15-25 range when they were 20-3 I couldn't get many to agree with me. Most felt SU was a very serious 2 seed contender.

As for appearing to be bad because they played good teams- it would be one thing if they lost tough close games to these teams but they've looked horrible and some of the games have not been competitive. It never felt like they were going to win any of those games except for Marquette. And I just don't think Marq, Pitt, UConn and Nova are that good. In my eyes losses to those teams are bad losses if you expect to be viewed as a 2 seed.

No, it doesn't.

A 1-seed w/o Onuaku was a gift... we stopped being a contender when he went down.

Last year, overrated.

We'll get a 6-seed this year and we probably deserve a 12.

I disagree with all 6 of statements in your post rambling. It does not surprise me as I have seen your previous post and nearly all are as moronic as your latest. Your comments = zero value added.

We won't get any worse than a 5 seed if we win one game in the BET.

Dead Team Walking...

You mean The Walking Dead? Now there's a show.

True, however, yesterday's yet again offensive debacle was the result of G'Town primarily playing man to man most of the game, and SU still appeared like deer in the headlights.

True, however, yesterday's yet again offensive debacle was the result of G'Town primarily playing man to man most of the game, and SU still appeared like deer in the headlights.
It looked like GTown had 6 guys on defense. Are they just that good on defense? I just dont know how every good team we play smothers us. Every pass is contested, tipped, almost picked off. Our players are bumped and harassed all over the court and every time we get into the lane theres about 5 guys around us yet miraculously noone is open.

It looked like GTown had 6 guys on defense. Are they just that good on defense? I just dont know how every good team we play smothers us. Every pass is contested, tipped, almost picked off. Our players are bumped and harassed all over the court and every time we get into the lane theres about 5 guys around us yet miraculously noone is open.

Yes...and...no. Teams like G'Town & Pitt are just nightmares for us. They are well aware of our many offensive weaknesses (poor spacing, poor shooting, questionable guard handle, no inside threat, lack of patience, etc.) and know that our guys are just not disciplined/mentally strong enough to endure such a mindset/toughness for 40 minutes. They know, without a doubt, we will eventually get frustrated on offense and lose focus that eventually bleeds to lapses in our defense. So, in that/those moment(s) a relatively close, grind out, ugly game allows for enough separation to start things snowballing against us. And, without us getting easy transition buckets (which is generally the case with these better defensive teams), afterwards...it's typically game, set & match...

SU's offense reminds me a lot of Wisconsin's, just so hard to watch. The one thing that keeps the Badger's in games is their continued commitment to D. If we have any chance of success this post season, it will be playing excellent D (which we have for the most part) and just hope that our guys can hit a couple of critical shots in critical moments. As they say, survive and advance.

Yes...and...no. Teams like G'Town & Pitt are just nightmares for us. They are well aware of our many offensive weaknesses (poor spacing, poor shooting, questionable guard handle, no inside threat, lack of patience, etc.) and know that our guys are just not disciplined/mentally strong enough to endure such a mindset/toughness for 40 minutes. They know, without a doubt, we will eventually get frustrated on offense losing focus that eventually bleeds to lapses in our defense. So, in that/those moment(s) a relatively close, grind out, ugly game allows for enough separation to start things snowballing against us. Afterwards, game, set & match...

SU's offense reminds me a lot of Wisconsin's, just so hard to watch. The one thing that keeps the Badger's in games is their continued commitment to D. If we have any chance of success this post season, it will be playing excellent D (which we have for the most part) and just hope that our guys can hit a couple of critical shots in critical moments. As they say, survive and advance.
Yup, the difference yesterday was GTown hitting a couple deep threes. Both GTown and us are elite defensive teams but once they got a 7 point lead it felt like 20, we panicked and cue the snowball effect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom