Dead Team Walking... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dead Team Walking...

It looked like GTown had 6 guys on defense. Are they just that good on defense? I just dont know how every good team we play smothers us. Every pass is contested, tipped, almost picked off. Our players are bumped and harassed all over the court and every time we get into the lane theres about 5 guys around us yet miraculously noone is open.
Lol I feel the same way.

I wish JS developed more of an all around offensive game rather than just chucking long jumpers. Similar development to DNic's woulda been nice.

It looked like GTown had 6 guys on defense. Are they just that good on defense? I just dont know how every good team we play smothers us. Every pass is contested, tipped, almost picked off. Our players are bumped and harassed all over the court and every time we get into the lane theres about 5 guys around us yet miraculously noone is open.

Well, they are 4th in the country in defensive inefficiency, so they are pretty good.

I guess the optimistic way to look at it is that Lville is the best defense in the country, and Gtown is the 4th best, so you would expect to have a lot of trouble scoring against them, but we have had A LOT of trouble scoring against them. If we play a defense as good as either of those teams again then we've had a good post season (or we got Stephen F. Austin in the first round, which seems unlikely)

Trying to score buckets against Gtown and Lville has been like pulling teeth. There's no post presence. It seems like we only have one guy capable of taking anyone off the dribble, and we have one guy who can make a 3. Tough to score. Pretty easy to guard us.

I'm going to assume Brandon can't be quite as bad as he has been recently forever. James is in a bit of a shooting slump (to say the least, 1-13 from 3 the last two games), but it's only 2 games.

I disagree with all 6 of statements in your post rambling. It does not surprise me as I have seen your previous post and nearly all are as moronic as your latest. Your comments = zero value added.

... and your comment is so enlightening and valuable?... about what I'd expect out of north jersey...

Whatevs noob...

Yes...and...no. Teams like G'Town & Pitt are just nightmares for us. They are well aware of our many offensive weaknesses (poor spacing, poor shooting, questionable guard handle, no inside threat, lack of patience, etc.) and know that our guys are just not disciplined/mentally strong enough to endure such a mindset/toughness for 40 minutes. They know, without a doubt, we will eventually get frustrated on offense and lose focus that eventually bleeds to lapses in our defense. So, in that/those moment(s) a relatively close, grind out, ugly game allows for enough separation to start things snowballing against us. And, without us getting easy transition buckets (which is generally the case with these better defensive teams), afterwards...it's typically game, set & match...

SU's offense reminds me a lot of Wisconsin's, just so hard to watch. The one thing that keeps the Badger's in games is their continued commitment to D. If we have any chance of success this post season, it will be playing excellent D (which we have for the most part) and just hope that our guys can hit a couple of critical shots in critical moments. As they say, survive and advance.

Wisconsin is a painful watch but their offense, as anemic as it can be, is possession-oriented and bleeds clock. They are methodical with it.

Ours halfcourt set is anything but... couple loops around the horn with an occasional high screen then jack a shot or try to drive a lane that isn't there... The one caveat is wen we get the ball to CJ inside the arc, he can actually dribble and make his own shot... only one who can with any consistency.

... and your comment is so enlightening and valuable?... about what I'd expect out of north jersey...

Whatevs noob...

Anybody that says we have not been a NC contender when we were the #1 seed two of the last three years needs to refrain from talking about enlightened posts.

Anybody that says we have not been a NC contender when we were the #1 seed two of the last three years needs to refrain from talking about enlightened posts.

I have no problem saying we weren't a contender after Onuaku went down in 2010.

I could be wrong, but I think many might agree.

We lost a tough game to a team that almost won the NC. AO's injury certainly hurt but we were still in the mix amongst the best teams in the country and that was certainly the case last year. You said you couldn't remember when we were recently a NC contender.

We were still a contender just not the favorite. we came one freak 3 point shot and full on assault of KJO from winning that game.

We were still a contender just not the favorite. we came one freak 3 point shot and full on assault of KJO from winning that game.

We were definitely a contender and favorite before Onuaku went down... I don't think we were either after... It's tough to get to the final 4 and contend without competent center play.

We did it with forth, but he at least played consistent defense and had the help of an NBA allstar to pick-up the scoring slack.

And last year, with Rak & Keita at Center, we were in the same boat... No competent center play, hence why I felt we weren't a contender... but that year is certainly more debatable.

We were definitely a contender and favorite before Onuaku went down... I don't think we were either after... It's tough to get to the final 4 and contend without competent center play.

We did it with forth, but he at least played consistent defense and had the help of an NBA allstar to pick-up the scoring slack.

And last year, with Rak & Keita at Center, we were in the same boat... No competent center play, hence why I felt we weren't a contender... but that year is certainly more debatable.

If there was no Kentucky last season, Syracuse would have been a contender for the title. They lost a winnable game against Ohio State, because our guards missed too many open layups in that game.

However, without Fab Melo to defend, we would have been fodder for Kentucky.

If there was no Kentucky last season, Syracuse would have been a contender for the title. They lost a winnable game against Ohio State, because our guards missed too many open layups in that game.

However, without Fab Melo to defend, we would have been fodder for Kentucky.

The refs were absolutely horrible in that game as well.

The refs were absolutely horrible in that game as well.
Yes, the reffing was abhorrent, but I didn't want to bring that up, because making those layups would have negated the terrible officiating.

We lost a tough game to a team that almost won the NC. AO's injury certainly hurt but we were still in the mix amongst the best teams in the country and that was certainly the case last year. You said you couldn't remember when we were recently a NC contender.

Without a competent center, we aren't a contender... Onuaku goes down, we aren't a contender... Fab goes ineligible, we aren't a contender...

You want to say we were contenders with Rak/Keita combo last year, your perogative, but I think Dion masked our post offense problems quite well.

Part of the problem with Triche and MCW is neither has the finishing ability or athleticism of Dion and two players (Dion & Fair) that could drive and make their own shot is much more dynamic than one... Ifyou only have one player, you really need post offensive to step-up... and this year MCW/BT are VERY skiddish about feeding the ball to the post, because more than half the time, it's mishandled and a turnover (frankly they should be skiddish about that)... so defense against us is simple... close the drive lanes down and force us to the perimeter since we are streaky at best and rarely can drain treys consistently all game...

Keita has absolute "hammerhands" and Rak is not much better (tho I will say he is improving and last game looked decent...)

Loss of Dion and poor post offense have made this team very one dimensional.

Good news is I think Coleman has the skillset to be another Onuaku (if not better)... but it ain't happening this year...

I kinda feel bad for MCW/BT at times... they are kinda between a rock and a hard place running things up top... but they both need to be smarter with the rock in hand... We need to be more like wisconsin... hold the ball for long possessions... we might not score alot, but we don't let the opponent score alot either... Fugly game-O, but need to tailor what we do based on limitations and strengths...

Without a competent center, we aren't a contender... Onuaku goes down, we aren't a contender... Fab goes ineligible, we aren't a contender...

You want to say we were contenders last yearwith Rak/Keita combo last year, your perogative, but I think Dion masked our post offense probnlems quite well.

Part of the problem with Triche and MCW is neither has the finishing ability or athleticism of Dion and two players (Dion & Fair) that can drive and make their own shot is much more dynamic than one... Ifyou only have one player, you really need post offensive to step-up... and this year MCW/BT are VERY skiddish about feeding the ball to the post, because more than half the time, it's mishandled and a turnover... so defense against us is simple... close the drive lanes down and force us to the perimeter since we are streaky at best and rarely can drain treys consistently all game...

Keita has absolute "hammerhands" and Rak is not much better (tho I will say he is improving and last game looked decent...)

Loss of Dion and poor post offense have made this team very one dimensional.

Good news is I think Coleman has the skillset to be another Onuaku (if not better)... but it ain't happening this year...

I kinda feel bad for MCW/BT at times... they are kinda between a rock and a hard place running things up top... but they both need to be smarter with the rock in hand... We need to be more like wisconsin... hold the ball for long possessions

I agree with pretty much everything you say after the first couple of sentences. But if you advance to the regional final and play the opponent very tough in a game that could have gone either way then I think that qualifies you as a contender. By your metrics it seems the only true national title contender last year was UK. Anybody can be beaten on a given night. They didn't go undefeated last year.

I agree with pretty much everything you say after the first couple of sentences. But if you advance to the regional final and play the opponent very tough in a game that could have gone either way then I think that qualifies you as a contender. By your metrics it seems the only true national title contender last year was UK. Anybody can be beaten on a given night. They didn't go undefeated last year.

I agree, but the trick and magnificant gauntlet of the NCAA tourney is more than just one game any given night... You have to win 6 consecutive...

But my personal opinion is a contender = reasonable chance (with right seed draw) to win 6 games in a row against very good competition.

We have lacked good center/post play the last two years in a row and that meant we have a bigs matchup problem with certain teams we would face (so seeds aside, I felt neither team had a reasonable chance to win 6 games in a row with that glaring deficiency...)

Just my opinion, but that is my rationale.

Very fair point. I just think last year's team had enough firepower to make it to the title game if the right guys played top shelf. Then once in the title game anything can happen (see Valvano, James; Massimino, Roland).

Very fair point. I just think last year's team had enough firepower to make it to the title game if the right guys played top shelf. Then once in the title game anything can happen (see Valvano, James; Massimino, Roland).

I almost agree with you... It's not like if we had Fab, he'd be a great offensive performer, but what he brought defensively was huge.

The problem with Rak & Keita is/was not just their lack of offense, but their defense a lot of the time...

I've never seen a tandem bigs that are so easily baited into the air with fakes, drawing fouls on defensive possession after defensive possession...

And if anything, that problem has gotten worse this year (or is at least equally as bad...)

Say what you want about Forth (can't jump or rebound for crap), but he was solid in the zone defensively - which these guys aren't...

totally agree with your assessment of the two bigs this year. Maybe I am overstating it but I actually thought BMK played ok in the OSU game at least in comparison to how he has played this year.

totally agree with your assessment of the two bigs this year. Maybe I am overstating it but I actually thought BMK played ok in the OSU game at least in comparison to how he has played this year.

Agree... BMK has regressed this year IMO... a little baffling...

I agree, but the trick and magnificant gauntlet of the NCAA tourney is more than just one game any given night... You have to win 6 consecutive...

But my personal opinion is a contender = reasonable chance (with right seed draw) to win 6 games in a row against very good competition.

We have lacked good center/post play the last two years in a row and that meant we have a bigs matchup problem with certain teams we would face (so seeds aside, I felt neither team had a reasonable chance to win 6 games in a row with that glaring deficiency...)

Just my opinion, but that is my rationale.

Your rationale would have eliminated a lot of past champions of the NCAA tourney.

our defense has ZERO to do with how bad we are playing. This is one of the best defensive teams that Cuse has had in maybe 20 years. The games we have lost lately to LVille, Hoyas (twice), marquette, etc... has nothing to do with defense. Those teams collectively must have averaged 62-64 a game tops??? Any Cuse team in the past decade wins all of those games. We scored 75-80 with ease.

everything is getting over-complicated on here. We cant shoot, thus we cant win. When you rely on jumpers and your 2 guard(s) and your alleged 3 point sniper are playing horribly, you cant beat elite teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom