Deadspin Funbag | Syracusefan.com

Deadspin Funbag

Upstate

Co 2020 Cali Winner, Rcd/Rcpts/TD Rcpts (5)/TFL
"When I was a senior in high school, we had a really good running back, and I was wayyyyy too proud of having him for a teammate. Like, he would score a touchdown, and I would turn to the crowd while I was riding the sideline and be like OH YEAH, THAT WAS OUR GUY. Like I somehow deserved credit for being in the general vicinity of the kid who was twice as fast as everyone else on the field. I also went to football camp, and one of the other campers was committed to Syracuse. And when I got back, I told EVERYONE. I was like, "Yeah, I went to football camp. Kid from there is going to Syracuse." Which is stupid! I wasn't going to Syracuse. Syracuse isn't even good at football."

Oof. Magary is probably in his mid-30s, which would mean he's talking about ~20 years ago. between 94 and 96, SU was 24-7. Not that he'd remember, but still. National perception is still everything, though I think Drew is wrong and even admits earlier in the Funbag that he's less of a sports fan than he used to be. Probably not a reliable opinion on national perception.

Looks like he'll learn something this year if he pays attention.

"When I was a senior in high school, we had a really good running back, and I was wayyyyy too proud of having him for a teammate. Like, he would score a touchdown, and I would turn to the crowd while I was riding the sideline and be like OH YEAH, THAT WAS OUR GUY. Like I somehow deserved credit for being in the general vicinity of the kid who was twice as fast as everyone else on the field. I also went to football camp, and one of the other campers was committed to Syracuse. And when I got back, I told EVERYONE. I was like, "Yeah, I went to football camp. Kid from there is going to Syracuse." Which is stupid! I wasn't going to Syracuse. Syracuse isn't even good at football."

Oof. Magary is probably in his mid-30s, which would mean he's talking about ~20 years ago. between 94 and 96, SU was 24-7. Not that he'd remember, but still. National perception is still everything, though I think Drew is wrong and even admits earlier in the Funbag that he's less of a sports fan than he used to be. Probably not a reliable opinion on national perception.

I look forward to the funbag every week. I am amazed about the dumb people write in that I have acually thought about lol

I admit when I am ignorant. What is a 'Deadspin funbag'? And who the heck is Magary/Drew?

I admit when I am ignorant. What is a 'Deadspin funbag'? And who the heck is Magary/Drew?

Drew Magary is a popular sports comedy columnist and also wrote one of the best books on being a father that I've ever read (Someone Could Get Hurt, thanks for that one Upstate ).

Drew Magary is a popular sports comedy columnist and also wrote one of the best books on being a father that I've ever read (Someone Could Get Hurt, thanks for that one Upstate ).

Wife and I had our first kid earlier this year. I read Someone could get a hurt in Mexico when we were only a few weeks pregnant. Was a great read. I really do like his writing.

He should know better. I believe he went to Michigan for one semester. According to wiki he graduated from Colby in '98 which means he would have been at Michigan on 9/12/98.

Wife and I had our first kid earlier this year. I read Someone could get a hurt in Mexico when we were only a few weeks pregnant. Was a great read. I really do like his writing.

Had my first three weeks ago. I read it two weeks before the arrival. When I picked it up, I read it all in one sitting. He's a great comedy writer.