Dear Rakeem, | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dear Rakeem,

This is arbitrary and probably too quick and dirty to be worth much, but Rak has taken 5 or more shots only 13 times this season and is averaging 4.6 shot attempts per game. That means that even if he's perfect from the floor he's not hitting double figures. The most shots he's ever taken in a game for us is 9.

Know how many shot attempts per game Cooney averages? 4.5. Think about that for a second in relation to how many shot attempts Rak gets.

Rak's a big guy. He's not going to create off the dribble or generate offense for himself short of grabbing an offensive rebound and trying to stick a shot up. His guards need to make the game easy for him. They don't. He's better than he's been given the chance to show he is.

Magic Johnson used to say that if Kareem didn't see the ball early he'd pick up a couple of cheap fouls because his teammates were telling him they didn't need him that night. I'd like our guards to show Rak that they need him.

I respect the point you are trying to make, Otto.

I would strongly suspect that if Rak showed some semblance of being an inside scoring option in practice, JB would make it a point to get him the ball during the games. I think it is misguided to assume that Rak is not producing because the guards are choosing not to give him the ball.

I would strongly suspect that if Rak showed some semblance of being an inside scoring option in practice, JB would make it a point to get him the ball during the games.
You've acknowledged other places though that JB's teams traditionally don't do a good job of getting the ball inside.

So... have we had guys completely inept at being inside scoring options for such parts of his coaching tenure?

Warrick used to say Forth scored tons in practice, but you can count on one hand how many times Forth received an entry pass posting up.

You've acknowledged other places though that JB's teams traditionally don't do a good job of getting the ball inside.

So... have we had guys completely inept at being inside scoring options for such parts of his coaching tenure?

Warrick used to say Forth scored tons in practice, but you can count on one hand how many times Forth received an entry pass posting up.

Maybe you are confusing my posts with someone else? I have pointed out that JBs teams have traditionally looked inside when there IS a reliable scoring threat. Coleman, Siekaly, Wallace, Rick Jackson, Warrick, Otis Hill, AO, and sophomore Fab. The teams Forth played on didn't need him to score inside, nor did he ever show that he was a finisher.

This year's team desperately needs an inside scoring presence. If that guy was on the roster, there is no doubt in mind the ball would be going inside. None.

I will say it again...The problem lies with the skill sets of the bigs, and not the guards willingness to look inside, or JB's O sets

Maybe you are confusing my posts with someone else? I have pointed out that JBs teams have traditionally looked inside when there IS a reliable scoring threat. Coleman, Siekaly, Wallace, Rick Jackson, Warrick, Otis Hill, AO, and sophomore Fab. The teams Forth played on didn't need him to score inside, nor did he ever show that he was a finisher.

This year's team desperately needs an inside scoring presence. If that guy was on the roster, there is no doubt in mind the ball would be going inside. None.

I will say it again...The problem lies with the skill sets of the bigs, and not the guards willingness to look inside, or JB's O sets
I get confused pretty easily, so you're probably right.

The thing I'd argue though is that the last guy we really fed the ball to in the post well from your list was Warrick. AO was horribly underused. We did ok getting it to Jackson, but part of Jackson's problem was that he let himself get pushed too far out way too often and ended up in no man's land way too much. Fab could have done more last season inside had he been given the opportunity.

I'm ok just being in disagreement on the topic. Rak doesn't help himself, and our guards don't do much for him either. He's not wired to do it on his own. If we want to see more from Rak I just have to believe it happens because the guards decide.

I get confused pretty easily, so you're probably right.

The thing I'd argue though is that the last guy we really fed the ball to in the post well from your list was Warrick. AO was horribly underused. We did ok getting it to Jackson, but part of Jackson's problem was that he let himself get pushed too far out way too often and ended up in no man's land way too much. Fab could have done more last season inside had he been given the opportunity.

I'm ok just being in disagreement on the topic. Rak doesn't help himself, and our guards don't do much for him either. He's not wired to do it on his own. If we want to see more from Rak I just have to believe it happens because the guards decide.

Having a difference of opinion is part of what makes this "fun"

Watching/listening to JB scream at the guards tells me all I need to know about where he wants the ball to go...

Lot of good points here. I agree with Zelda on the 4-5 touches a game. Maybe 6-10 would be better. When we are playing against a tough MTM I don't see any harm in feeding the post nearly every other possession if there is not an easy open jumpshot available. If it is a risk/reward type of scenario and the chances that MCW hits a 20 ft jumper is 30% - I highly doubt that Rak getting a shot up thats rebounded/ fouled or scoring on a post move is less than 50% vs that 30%. Watching college hoops all year it seems almost every good team besides maybe Michigan - posts a guy up who has a few nice moves and they do it 5-7 times a game. As good as Rak is at the FT line just seems we should really be pressing that issue. You have to think the threat that he can do something with it should draw some attention to open up a shot for someone as the game proceeds... maybe not..

I kinda disagree. He has good hands. He has a few nice moves. He's got good touch. He just doesn't get the reps to polish it all and to keep him in the form and with the confidence to make it comfortable. Remember how, when James came back, his first game back, in the first half — how rusty and 'slightly off' he looked? Imagine trying to build your timing and form when never getting actual game touches. That's why it comes so sporadically.

We just don't have guards who look to feed the post, so at some point, your mental focus for offense is going to atrophy. I wouldn't blame him for being frustrated, but of course the way back into good graces is to hustle on the other fronts.

We have had situations where Rak has been fed the ball, made a move or two and swished a short shot with beautiful form. Next possession, MCW's jacking up a deep three with 20 seconds on the clock because 'it's his turn.' Not a lot of intellect. Rak has had mismatches and advantages, but, our scheme seems to be that we have no scheme. Southerland will get fed if he's hot, but that's easy. He's uncontested on the outside. If your guards have no confidence in your bigs, there's no way for them to develop. Add to that a 'laid back' personality, and we've got what we've got.

I sincerely wish we would get a real big man coach. Hopkins may be the next HC, but look at it this way — Hop has only ever played guard. He's only ever been coached by JB. And that's it. Aside from his Olympic experience — and we have little to go on about that — he's had precious few mentor coaching voices from whom to learn, and how much of that has been instrumental toward advancing our power players? The converse would never be entertained: let's bring back Arinze or Otis to coach our point guards... That dog doesn't hunt. Even if we give Mike the benefit of the doubt — maybe he's got a feel for it/has been studying 'big man stuff' on youtube privately... whatever — i'm still betting there's, at least, a slightly better option somewhere.

I have heard this arguement that Hopkins can't coach big men because he played the guard position in college. If that is the case, then no fan under 6'9 should ever be able to criticize Rakeem because they could never have played center at Syracuse and therefore have absolutely no understanding of the position.

A coach like Hopkins watches more game film in a week then most fans watch in an entire season. So we are to believe that Hopkins has learned nothing about basketball other than what he learned as a player? While fans are able to fully understand and critique every position on the court...many of whom never even played the game?

This is a stupid arguement, please put it to rest....you are better than that :)

I respect the point you are trying to make, Otto.

I would strongly suspect that if Rak showed some semblance of being an inside scoring option in practice, JB would make it a point to get him the ball during the games. I think it is misguided to assume that Rak is not producing because the guards are choosing not to give him the ball.

I don't know - I think as someone else referenced JB said in one of his chats they have to do a better job of getting it inside. MCW did likewise after the ND game - and, as expected never followed up by giving him the all again.

I don't think JB, nor anyone else, wants Rak to be a focal point of the offense so I doubt he's going to bench anyone because they missed the entry pass (even though they miss the pass every time). We have two guards, they kind of get to do what they want - I doubt in an ideal world JB wants them both taking more threes per game then someone like Wes Johnson did (who could actually shoot threes). :)

On the Syracuse Sidelines show a week or so ago Hopkins had Rak on. Hopkins talked about constantly finding articles, videos - anything - to give to Rak in order to pump him up. Some guys have the fire, some do not. Watching that show I felt like Hopkins has done everything possible to get Rak to play hard, to believe in himself, etc - Hop has obviously made Rak his priority and he wants desperately for the kid to motivate himself. Sadly Hop seems to believe in Rak more than Rak believes in Rak. Or as many of us forget or find hard to believe, perhaps Rak is not in love with the game - it happens.

Bottom line: If Roc cared half as much about his on court effort as he did about his swag he'd average a double double! #fact

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 70

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online