Defense Next Year | Syracusefan.com

Defense Next Year

B

Brooky03

We have a long wait for the GT game and not much to talk about, so I'm going to talk about next year's team.

What are the chances of our defense being really good next year? Like top 10 all-time Cuse defense. Cuz that's what I think we're going to need to avoid extending the 13 loss streak to 4 seasons...

Sidibe and Chukwu look like they could be good rim protectors. Brisset and Moyer have the requisite length and athleticism. Battle's good. How are the potential PG options at defending?

Think we can hide Thompson in a corner or disguise him as somebody capable of playing defense better than a scarecrow?

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as we don't bring in another 5'8 point guard, I think our defense could be pretty legit. Certainly has the pieces in place for a good zone D. Thompson would be the weak link athletically/energy-wise but maybe he makes a jump as a soph.

We have a long wait for the GT game and not much to talk about, so I'm going to talk about next year's team.

What are the chances of our defense being really good next year? Like top 10 all-time Cuse defense. Cuz that's what I think we're going to need to avoid extending the 13 loss streak to 4 seasons...

Sidibe and Chukwu look like they could be good rim protectors. Brisset and Moyer have the requisite length and athleticism. Battle's good. How are the potential PG options at defending?

Think we can hide Thompson in a corner or disguise him as somebody capable of playing defense better than scarecrow?

Who are the potential PG options? You mean the high school players we are recruiting? Or Howard?

Honestly think Thompson needs a "work harder on defense or else sit the bench" type thing but I don't think we will have that luxury. Hopefully he can get better regardless, but wow. He's clueless and doesn't seem to try that hard(just my observation, could be wrong).

I agree that the freshmen and Chukwu all have the measurables, and Battle could become a great defender up top. Whoever the PG is and Thompson are the keys. Thompson has to become adequate, at the least.

Highly unlikely.
2013 D is the gold standard
2017 is the floor.

To be elite we need length at the top, a middle who can alter shots and step up, and need wings that will do dirty work and rebound.

We haven't replaced BMK/Christmas in the middle.

We need Battle to take the leap up top and get another guard for the top.

I see a solid D but not an elite one yet barring adding a special grad transfer.

Highly unlikely.
2013 D is the gold standard
2017 is the floor.

To be elite we need length at the top, a middle who can alter shots and step up, and need wings that will do dirty work and rebound.

We haven't replaced BMK/Christmas in the middle.

We need Battle to take the leap up top and get another guard for the top.

I see a solid D but not an elite one yet barring adding a special grad transfer.
I think Sidibe/Chukwu have the potential to be a monster zone anchor tandem but it's all just potential.

Depending on freshman and a guy who's shown nothing, not even potential and expecting average may be too much to ask.

Next years defense could possibly be worse than this years.

We gotta at least hope Chubaka can become serviceable before we are throwing out these premature defensive accolades. He was far from that before the eye injury. I worry about him since he was already at Providence, then came here and practiced/sat out a year, then showed up raw as sushi in games. I'm not optimistic. LOVE the upside from Bourama and Oshae. Sidibe looks like he could be good to go from day 1.

Regardless of how the rest of the season plays out there are three plays which define and capture the season for me:

1. Gillon Duke
2. Battle Clemson
3. Chubaka getting the ball under the basket ready to dunk but instead fires a rocket into the corner way out of bounds.

I think it is wasted time to think about Chukwu except for obvious defensive situations. TT will be playing at least 80-90 % of the time. His offensive skills are too good to sit on the bench for any length of time. He must step up his defensive skills.

I think it is wasted time to think about Chukwu except for obvious defensive situations. TT will be playing at least 80-90 % of the time. His offensive skills are too good to sit on the bench for any length of time. He must step up his defensive skills.
Yup, I see Chukwu taking on the role Jeremy McNeil played so well when we pressed and he either blocked shots or laid someone out.

Its pretty much impossible to say right now. Other than Battle (hopefully) we have no idea who else will be playing guard. Whoever they are will be 1st year SU players so that means a learning curve. Chukwu is a guy I will not think about until he shows us something. Sidibe is probably the back up to TT who will play a ton of minutes next season and at this point is a weakness on defense. Brisette and Moyer certainly fit the bill as long, athletic, energetic wings but how much will they be playing? If Lydon comes back he will play more on the wing since TT is going to play a lot and Lydon is not that good on the wing.

Honestly next years defense is more likely to be poor than really good. Of course next year is going to be like a completely new team so who knows..

How about we run a basic m2m 50% of the time next year so we don't have a learning curve crisis again? If JB truly wanted a smooth transfer of power he'd recognize his pride is getting in the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom