Defense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Defense

Ife Melifonwu played a very good game yesterday, especially since this was really his first extended playing time and definitely not in mop up duty. He was solid in both coverage and tackling and looks to be a big part of the defensive backfield future. Same goes for Trill Williams who was also very good especially subbing for an injured Bradshaw. Cisco was also solid. Cordy has not really been a factor at all this year.

I think ward goes into funks and forgets what is workin. Had Trill, shy, and Richards getting good reps in First half. All 3 disappeared in 2nd half. Why. He is killing me... ot they all played. WTH is he doing.

Yup, he is lost at times and i wonder if anyone is allowed to be in his ear? Dino runs a tight ship

Totally on ward after 20-7 score. Trill disappeared as did shy and Richards from the game. Don’t know why. Just don’t think ward is a good DC. Too inconsistent. I thought we played best with rotating people to keep them fresh.

I think he lacks feel for the flow of a game. We are super lucky fedora was totally lost with that 7 pt lead. They had the better skill guys on O and he got very conservative and never went for that 2 score lead.

The Devito Dungey situation had me wondering how many situations are similar on the D side of things. Where as a younger more talented player is being held back because the coaches have a more senior player that may not have the talent/physical gifts but the coaches feel more comfortable with. Certainly could argue the backups at a number of positions have proven they certainly bring more upside to the table at this point.
Shy, Meli, Trill, Richards etc. all pushing hard imho.
Seeing Shy and Richards in there has me feeling better about next years for the LB group.

Its too bad that our defensive line isn't Robinson, Clark, Slayton, Coleman. That would have been one for the ages. Hope Steven is doing well.

Guthrie makes a lot of plays for the D. He may have more opportunities but the kid seems to be around the ball.

It was nice to see Cullen / Richards get some run, given that LB is clearly the team's weak positional unit.

And not just token PT, but to actually PRODUCE. Bodes well, and hopefully will continue because we need bigger bodies at LB.

Sadly, I agree with the sentiment expressed above about Cordy. I actually didn't think he played that poorly Saturday, that one TD play where he got burned notwithstanding. He had a bunch of tackles, but I just don't think he's a difference maker. Would much rather see an extra LB out there against teams that insist on attempting to run it down our throat.

Robinson hobbled off the field and I noticed he wasn't his normal self after that. Was nice to see others step up but SU needs him for NCS big time. Hope it was just a ding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom