Defense | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Defense

We call blitzes. We also have two dominant DE’s. It’s better to cover everyone and get pressure than to allow quick throws because your LB is trying to get to the QB.

Those two INT vs Clemson and the 1 vs MD don’t happen with out dropping back into the zone.

So much harping on not being aggressive, when the proof is right there for you to see. This year’s a bad example as the D has sucked mostly, but our INT, sack, and 3rd down % under Ward are pretty good.

The problem with that take is that were not covering everyone or in some cases anyone. This years Defense looks a lot like the defense from the second half or years 1 and 2, guys just running wide open and big plays being popped every other possession. How many times did SU have WMU in third and 13 Third and 11 Third and 14 and we rushed 4 and Wassnick had a dude WIDE open because were playing a zone and the CBs are giving 12 yard cushions. I get that the zone gives us some picks but its useless if were giving up 40+ pts in the other possessions. I don't think were looking to bring the house every snap but when its third and long bring some of these lbs or the corner playing up top in the 4-2-5.

The problem with that take is that were not covering everyone or in some cases anyone. This years Defense looks a lot like the defense from the second half or years 1 and 2, guys just running wide open and big plays being popped every other possession. How many times did SU have WMU in third and 13 Third and 11 Third and 14 and we rushed 4 and Wassnick had a dude WIDE open because were playing a zone and the CBs are giving 12 yard cushions. I get that the zone gives us some picks but its useless if were giving up 40+ pts in the other possessions. I don't think were looking to bring the house every snap but when its third and long bring some of these lbs or the corner playing up top in the 4-2-5.

Yeah, this years been a train wreck so far. Very hard to come away with positives outside of the timely TO's. I don't know what it will take to get back to what we looked like last year - but I do think it's possible and that giving up on Ward or asking him to be SS is silly.

I think we rightly believed that no one could block Alton on WMU and that's why we didn't bring a lot of extra guys most of the time. The WMU QB was good at moving in the pocket and escaping the rush (almost every passing down). I don't know how much of the zone issues were our two starting secondary players being out.

Our safeties are woeful. We missed Cisco and honestly I’ll continue strumming the Cordy’s not it coord.

Linebackers showed improvement vs WMU imo. Its our safeties that kill us.

Yeah, this years been a train wreck so far. Very hard to come away with positives outside of the timely TO's. I don't know what it will take to get back to what we looked like last year - but I do think it's possible and that giving up on Ward or asking him to be SS is silly.

I think we rightly believed that no one could block Alton on WMU and that's why we didn't bring a lot of extra guys most of the time. The WMU QB was good at moving in the pocket and escaping the rush (almost every passing down). I don't know how much of the zone issues were our two starting secondary players being out.

I think missing our two best secondary guys definitely hurt (how could it not) and Wassnick is definitely and underated QB who Robinson nearly had sacked at least 3 or 4 times that he found his way out of somehow, so no disagreement there. That said were in year 4 under Ward, not sure I would use the term "giving up" at this point if we went in a different direction at this point. The main concern I have is if were struggling against WMU after knocking out their top 2 weapons, what are we going to do or look like against Pitt, Wake, FSU etc. Its asking a lot to win a shoot out every week.

We call blitzes. We also have two dominant DE’s. It’s better to cover everyone and get pressure than to allow quick throws because your LB is trying to get to the QB.

Those two INT vs Clemson and the 1 vs MD don’t happen with out dropping back into the zone.

So much harping on not being aggressive, when the proof is right there for you to see. This year’s a bad example as the D has sucked mostly, but our INT, sack, and 3rd down % under Ward are pretty good.
Ok I agree with what u said but u can’t say watching their te release free all game long to do what he wants u wouldn’t have changed anything. We make no in game adjustments. I see we blitz and they have 3 to 4 sec before he is in trouble when Clemson blitzes Td has 1 to 1.5 sec and I get they are better but that much better damn.

We did not play well here. I rewatched condensed game and I need some opinions. First and foremost our linebackers really really really bad. We are the best in acc in getting blocked easily. We couldn’t get off a block and I mean no one could. Army being the one to get blocked the easiest. Uses no technique what so ever. Doesn’t throw hands to slow lineman down dip and rip or anything. Williams wasn’t much better but at least he tried a bit. Noticed he hit wrong hole a lot yesterday it wasn’t pretty. Does anyone know out technique we use for lb to rid lineman. MSU is a pure dip and rip team. Dan Conley was good at throwing hands to shock oline and then ripped off and made play but he was big so he could do that. Where was Richards. Just try him and see how we do with him. Army also doesn’t tackle below chest level I guess. It was a bad game from them on all levels. As a dc, after their te caught what seemed like 15 balls, lol, should anyone have chipped him af los before he got running around catching everything. I have been complaining about lack of pressure but we blitzed in 2nd half a bit more and it worked but our best blitzing guy is Richards. Back half banged up and the soft zone sucks wether we banged up or not. Not a ward fan and it’s not getting better.
Well if all this is true and continues throughout the season than honestly as much as it pains me to say I probably see a 6-6 at best 7-5 type season but I do expect some progress thru the season cause we do have a good coaching staff that won’t allow all this BS to go on

I prefer to focus on the defensive stops in the 4th quarter that won the game. Three times they held on downs, allowing the offense to score the points that iced the game. Two of our best players in the secondary were out and our third string safety was targeted then got revenge via an interception. I'd like to hope that the defense becomes dominant by the end of the season but am pretty happy they got better during the 4th quarter.

good point.

When Babers was hired shootouts were to be expected. The formula was that we'll score a lot of points, and give up a lot of points but make just enough stops to win.

Ok I agree with what u said but u can’t say watching their te release free all game long to do what he wants u wouldn’t have changed anything. We make no in game adjustments. I see we blitz and they have 3 to 4 sec before he is in trouble when Clemson blitzes Td has 1 to 1.5 sec and I get they are better but that much better damn.

We had two big 4th Q stops. I don’t disagree that we need to be much much better to compete in our division this year, but they are better than you’re giving them credit for.

Don’t let your dislike of the style influence your opinion of the results, on the whole

good point.

When Babers was hired shootouts were to be expected. The formula was that we'll score a lot of points, and give up a lot of points but make just enough stops to win.
To some extent, this is an predictable result of playing an up-tempo offense, which tends to limit our time of posession. Against WMU, both teams had the ball for almot exactly 30 minutes. WMU ran 80 plays, while we ran 82.

To some extent, this is an predictable result of playing an up-tempo offense, which tends to limit our time of posession. Against WMU, both teams had the ball for almot exactly 30 minutes. WMU ran 80 plays, while we ran 82.
While it’s frightening at times, when the offense gets going it’s a lot of fun. We can move the ball quickly but can also give it back quickly. Until we get more consistent it’s going to be a tad too exciting. Those defensive stops in the 4th quarter were pretty exciting, too...

We had two big 4th Q stops. I don’t disagree that we need to be much much better to compete in our division this year, but they are better than you’re giving them credit for.

Don’t let your dislike of the style influence your opinion of the results, on the whole
We just gave up almost 600 yards and over 30 points to a MAC school. Our defense is ranked second to last among all P5 teams. Don't let your blind loyalty and a few key plays influence your opinion of the results, on the whole.

Our safeties are woeful. We missed Cisco and honestly I’ll continue strumming the Cordy’s not it coord.

Linebackers showed improvement vs WMU imo. Its our safeties that kill us.
Watch condensed version again lb were bad overall

We just gave up almost 600 yards and over 30 points to a MAC school. Our defense is ranked second to last among all P5 teams. Don't let your blind loyalty and a few key plays influence your opinion of the results, on the whole.

Lol. You missed where I said we need to be much much better.

Also, we could be like Miami - they were pretty good on D but awful on offense in a much closer win vs a much worse MAC team.

I’m not suggesting the performance was good. I can point out a few good plays too. That’s seeing the whole picture.

The issue that I see with the linebackers is they are not yet fluid in their run fits, it's taking them a long time to key and make reads. That only improves with reps, lots of em. You have to remember that Ward is coming at defense from a different angle than most coordinators. He values taking the ball away more than field position. So naturally, the ball gets put into play more with more defenders in coverage than in an aggressive scheme that is emphasizing stopping the ball in the backfield to maximize field position. This system, by nature, stresses the linebackers...tremendously. So much runs through them and is impacted by their play that tiny mistakes get amplified. For having to start over each year with average-at-best players, he's done a pretty good job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom