Defense | Syracusefan.com

Defense

emeraldde

Walk On
What defense did we call the most last year?

For instance, were we a cover 0, cover 1, cover 2, cover 3, cover 4, cover 6, zone blitz, man blitz,

Is there a defense that we like the most?

Also what formations did we run the most 4-3 (what variation) Nickel Dime 4-4 5-2?

Any football nerds on here know the answers to those? It will be much appreciated

My understanding is its multiple with very aggressive blitzing

But my goal in this thread is to pin point where are bread and butter was, and if we had any, and if we liked doing something more then others?

If you pay attention to Syracuse football, at the very least, you will know what base Shafer runs out of...

base formation is a 1-10 we will often shift into a 3-7 with on offset depending upon the formation we see.
Shafer likes to blitz from the NT position but will sometimes send the kicker just to mix it up.

base formation is a 1-10 we will often shift into a 3-7 with on offset depending upon the formation we see.
Shafer likes to blitz from the NT position but will sometimes send the kicker just to mix it up.

That sounds like the Greek national team.

Who says our fan base isn't clever enough to immediately see right through this ploy by an opposing staff to gather intell.

Proud moment, men. Guard the gate.

If you pay attention to Syracuse football, at the very least, you will know what base Shafer runs out of...
Yes I understand the base, But I'd like to know more as I obviously stated.

Sorry guys, I'm just trying to understand the defense better and you guys are taking it as a joke and taking shots at me. It's all good. I'm a big boy. I don't expect a lot from a message board anyways, where no one shows their face and boost's their ego's (sorry for being general there) But that's what a lot of you do.

I was just hoping there would be better knowledgeable people of the defense. It's july and I'm board

Now make your witty cool comeback message board guy. Lol

Theres a lot of clowns on here, never mind, I was really wondering. I love football and I'll admit my knowledge isn't that good and I was trying to learn. But never mind cool guys. I'll just do my own research

I was just hoping there would be better knowledgeable people of the defense. It's july and I'm board

Now make your witty cool comeback message board guy. Lol

What type of board are you?

Sorry, wanted to be the cool comeback message board guy. Consider ego boosted.

Reactions: 007
Theres a lot of clowns on here, never mind, I was really wondering. I love football and I'll admit my knowledge isn't that good and I was trying to learn. But never mind cool guys. I'll just do my own research

Lot of d!ckhead responses for an honest question. emeraldde seems like he just wants to know more about the x's and o's of our defense I don't see what the problem is?

Anyways our base defense is a 4-3, and usually run some sort of cover 2. Shafer/Bullough definitely gives opposing coordinators a ton of different looks though. There are countless exotic blitz packages that they will throw at your throughout the game. We also run an "okie" defense which is basically a 3-4, or a nickel in passing downs.

I think last year Bullough started out a little too fancy. Too many exotic looks, and too many different packages. There was far too much thinking going on, and not enough reacting. Many believe (including me) that Shafer got more involved after our Ga Tech beatdown (which we inexplicably came out in a 3-4), and really dumbed things down. It also didn't help Wilkes would get caught far too often biting on play action while we were in cover 2. Inserting Kelly for him helped as well.

I still can't get over that decision to play a 3-4 against Georgia Tech, talk about outsmarting yourself. The team was totally unprepared for that game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom