Defensive End Problem | Syracusefan.com

Defensive End Problem

T

TrickySU

Our defensive ends don't contain the outside enough. They get fooled a lot of the time on the run fake and they leave the outside wide open. All of our defensive ends do this and this makes me think it has something to do with coaching. If this is the case then it needs to gets changed because we get beat on the outside too much because our defensive ends are out of position. Its not just the back-ups that are in for Chandler Jones either. Both Chandler and Mikhail Marinovich go inside instead of containing the outside.

really? Can you point out all the outside runs that worked last week?

Good retort. I honestly can't remember one run where an opponent broke a run around end on us this entire year so far.

Depends on your definition of outside run, but I seem to remember a Wildcat TD in Q1.

I'm saying play action passes where the opposing quarterback has been able to roll out and either has time to pass or can run for a first down. I don't have any video for the Toledo game but against USC there are a couple of plays shown in this highlight video. The first play shows Mikhail Marinovich clearly going towards the running back before realizing that Barkley is rolling out and at the 45 second mark there is a run that goes right around the defensive end. These are the two main ones and I'm sure there are more examples.

TWO examples of a college athlete overpursuing!... These aren't NFL players, everyone makes a mistake here or there.

Of everything to complain about, you complain about contain. I'm more worried about the QB stepping through the pocket and taking off, or the D-line getting no pass rush, or the secondary not being able to cover anyone.

Our defensive ends don't contain the outside enough. They get fooled a lot of the time on the run fake and they leave the outside wide open. All of our defensive ends do this and this makes me think it has something to do with coaching. If this is the case then it needs to gets changed because we get beat on the outside too much because our defensive ends are out of position. Its not just the back-ups that are in for Chandler Jones either. Both Chandler and Mikhail Marinovich go inside instead of containing the outside.

you ever watch freeney? there's always a tradeoff if you want your DEs to get up the field.

Through our recruiting, our DTs are getting bigger, and our DEs are getting faster. Right now our DEs have a lot of responsibility to not over-pursue the run cause our DTs (although surprisingly effective) are smaller and inexperienced. In the upcoming years I expect our guys to crush the pocket in a more traditional manner.

There were 4 on the first drive. Our DEs crash down by design to help stop the run. When teams go outside we need the LB or SS to come up and make the tackle. When you have last years LBs or Shamwow in there it isn't a big deal.

Also the wildcat TD was embarrassing for a D alignment. We had our DE inside the LT and we overloaded our LBs and Ss to the weak side. We were beat before the snap. They had us outnumbered on the left side 3 blockers to 1 D player.

What about pure passing downs? Why so few sacks in those situations? If the Dline is just rushing 3 it's understandable but we need to at worst harass the qb when it's 4 or more. It seems Shafer is going with a lot of the 3 rush and cover.

What about pure passing downs? Why so few sacks in those situations? If the Dline is just rushing 3 it's understandable but we need to at worst harass the qb when it's 4 or more. It seems Shafer is going with a lot of the 3 rush and cover.

I guess it's perception. I've seen him mix up the pass rush schemes quite a bit. Maybe you just notice it more when they only rush 3 because the lack of rush is more evident? I'm not a big fan of the 3-man rush in college, but they may have employed it a lot against UT to try to counter the underneath passing game?

They do blitz a fair amount, but much of those have been effectively picked up. It seemed the USC's RBs always knew which side the blitzer was coming from and picked it up.

I agree with you, they are mixing it up and I also agree it does seem like teams know who is tipping off coming in. It makes sense to stay back and cut out the underneath stuff like what a lot of teams are doing now.

This is one area w

I would have to respectfully disagree as this is the one area where the DE's have actually done a pretty good job consistently. The problem on the outside is the LB's and DB's ability to contain especially on bubble screens where they are not shedding the blocker and getting to the ball carrier, arm tackling, taking bad angles etc.

Did anybody notice during the Toledo game how many times Toledo went left? It was like they were attacking that side of the field with chandler out. On that ridiculously long first drive, they went left like 7 plays in a row. The staff wasn't able to get anyone in there who could do anything. Ball was getting beat up.

TWO examples of a college athlete overpursuing!... These aren't NFL players, everyone makes a mistake here or there.

Of everything to complain about, you complain about contain. I'm more worried about the QB stepping through the pocket and taking off, or the D-line getting no pass rush, or the secondary not being able to cover anyone.
I think everyone needs to relax a little.. Seems to me like the guy was just noting something that seemed bothersome, so he was suggesting a change. Granted he may have been a little aggressive in his approach, but this response is a little too defensive. We all have fears on this defense. It's not consistent at all as expected. Shall we not voice our thoughts on how to make it better?

I'm saying play action passes where the opposing quarterback has been able to roll out and either has time to pass or can run for a first down. I don't have any video for the Toledo game but against USC there are a couple of plays shown in this highlight video. The first play shows Mikhail Marinovich clearly going towards the running back before realizing that Barkley is rolling out and at the 45 second mark there is a run that goes right around the defensive end. These are the two main ones and I'm sure there are more examples.

Play action roll outs are great plays. They've been great for us this season and always seem to work for positive yards. I was very disappointed we didn't see any against Toledo.

Especially great play call on 3rd and short when the other team is playing run.

I think everyone needs to relax a little.. Seems to me like the guy was just noting something that seemed bothersome, so he was suggesting a change. Granted he may have been a little aggressive in his approach, but this response is a little too defensive. We all have fears on this defense. It's not consistent at all as expected. Shall we not voice our thoughts on how to make it better?
Exactly! Thank you. I'm not trying to blame our defensive ends. I just think they need to work on containing a little more. I mean I think there are a lot of times where Nassib is rolling out and he is being chased closely by an opposing defensive end. Against USC there was one play where he faked a pitch and the defensive end was right in his face when he turned around. Obiously it has a lot to do with the offensive line but hopefull you can see my point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom