Defensive Rebounding is NOT the key to a good season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Defensive Rebounding is NOT the key to a good season

believe what you want of the cherry picked stats. There are far more rebounds than there are turnovers. Team that run rebound. You know those two guys you mentioned? We ran because they were monsters on the boards.

Nobody is cherry picking stats. I was analyzing data. Our defensive rebounding was just as bad, if not worse from 2009-2013 yet we ran then.

Nobody is cherry picking stats. I was analyzing data. Our defensive rebounding was just as bad, if not worse from 2009-2013 yet we ran then.

yea, cherry picked wasn’t a good term.

bottom line is if you want to be a fast break team you better rebound. Steals are nice too but rebounding is where running starts. We were 20th in the country last year in steals. But we were 283rd in defensive rebounding. Bad.

bottom line is if you want to be a fast break team you better rebound. Steals are nice too but rebounding is where running starts. We were 20th in the country last year in steals. But we were 283rd in defensive rebounding. Bad.
Our backcourt last year and several years prior have been ineffective pushing the ball in transition. They also couldn't finish a break if their lives depended on it. 20th in steals should have translated into a pretty good ranking for points off turnovers. Maybe someone can find that stat but I imagine we were in the bottom half of P5. It used to be that transition was a golden opportunity for easy points, but it has been a wasteland for SU since 2014.

I think Franco nailed it. Flynn/Scoop/Rautins/Triche/Dion/MCW pushed the ball even after makes, whatever rebounds we got, and steals. The guards since haven’t.

You also can’t run without rebounding the ball. It dampens our offensive opportunities, improves opponents offensive opportunities, effects our style of play, really slowing the game down.
Maybe the way we play, but that's a common fallacy that JB states almost every season. Whether or not you can run depends on a few things:
1. the right personnel - you need someone with some court vision, someone athletic to run with him and someone who transitions the ball well after the change of possession.
2. Opportunity - this depends more on the other team. If they make a concerted effort to retreat after possession, it makes it challenging. If they don't get back after scoring out of either laziness or because their guards crashed the boards or chased a loose ball and someone didn't rotate back, it opens up the possibility to run if you can get the ball in quickly after the basket. Turnovers and long rebounds present the best opportunities to run. Rebounds in the low post don't present a much better opportunity than after a score. The increase in 3 point shots has greatly cut down on the opportunity to run because it usually results in at least one or two players already in position to get back.
3. a willingness to run - we haven't tried to push the ball much over the last few years. We typically only have one player make the inbounds pass to our PG who usually rotates back to under our basket to receive the ball. This completely eliminates the opportunity to run after an opponent basket. If, on the other hand, the player closest to the ball takes it out for the inbound pass and the guard closest to that side gets in position on the wing to catch the inbounds or someone else can get upcourt for a longer pass, you can still run. Other teams have been successful running on us after we score.

I firmly believe if you are determined to push the ball in transition, it can be done at least a handful of times throughout every game unless the other team can routinely score with only 3 or 4 players on offense.

Our backcourt last year and several years prior have been ineffective pushing the ball in transition. They also couldn't finish a break if their lives depended on it. 20th in steals should have translated into a pretty good ranking for points off turnovers. Maybe someone can find that stat but I imagine we were in the bottom half of P5. It used to be that transition was a golden opportunity for easy points, but it has been a wasteland for SU since 2014.

you don’t even know why we were reluctant to run a lot the past few years.

I think Franco nailed it. Flynn/Scoop/Rautins/Triche/Dion/MCW pushed the ball even after makes, whatever rebounds we got, and steals. The guards since haven’t.

you’re getting lost in the weeds. Talent, skills and depth of course plays a role. That group also did not run every possession like you say.

Of course a team can run after a make, a miss, a steal, a blocked shot. But in general, which was my original point is that to be a true running team you need to be able to rebound and make an outlet to initiate a fast break. A lot more shots go up than there are steals or blocks. And running after a made shot is even more difficult if the defense makes any attempt at getting back on defense.

sure wish we had a Coleman, an Owens, a Seikaly to rebound and kick it out to a Douglas or a Thompson. We’ve never had a player that could rebound and make an out let pass like Coleman. Peace.

If this team can rotate/anticipate well and box out they should be able to do ok on D and that will set up a running game. Now if they can successfully run, we'll see as I'd think teams would challenge them on a 3 on 2 or 2 on 1 by guarding the shooter over the guy driving to the hoop due to the lack of respect of being able to go to the hoop. Add to that decision making on those 3 on 2's and 2 on 1's which we haven't seen them do well in a while.
Play smart fundamental hoop and they should be fine.

The more shots the other team gets, the more likely they are to score.
The more they score, the harder it is to beat them.
A great way to limit their shots is to grab defensive rebounds.
QED

There's a point where defensive rebounds is the key... when you have no offense if you're effectively giving the other team 20 extra chances... that's not good for your season

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom