Defensive stats | Syracusefan.com

Defensive stats

VaSaltine

Starter
Wish I was posting a link, but am looking for a link. It's continually frustrating that almost all post game coverage is offensive related, other than the Reddish or Welsh plays. I don't even know who our leading tackler was. Who rotated in on the defensive line? How was Michah Robinson's effort? Etc.

That site also list Ryan Norton as the starting MLB, so...

Lol. I just scrolled down to stats and looked legit. Cam was everywhere and Spruill and Davis were solid. Bromley did a ton of work that doesn't show up on the stat sheet and I think Robinson the same in the run game.

I'd check out the suathletics.com game box score. They have individual defensive stats. Lynch was good. Welsh had a sack and an INT. Solid D performance.

They don't have a stat for snaps on there do they? Baseball parses stats like how much each player farts on the bench so I'd like to see total plays each player had somewhere.

Wilkes seemed to be playing SS at times also just curious but I see that Eskridge had just 3 tackles...on 38 rushes, was it a different scheme or was he just not there?

Did "Sugarbear" get any burn at the D-end? Nevermind, two tackles. I didn't look at the stat sheet close enough the first time.

Only 1 sack and 2 qb hurries from the d-line concerns me.

Did "Sugarbear" get any burn at the D-end? Nevermind, two tackles. I didn't look at the stat sheet close enough the first time.

He was in. New number is #13. No sacks, no real hurries but he was active.

Only 1 sack and 2 qb hurries from the d-line concerns me.

The line was much better than this reads. There was a good amount if pressure on Hackenberg - and the stoned the PSU RB's all game.

The DLine had

4 tackles for loss
1 sack
2 hurries

Not great but not bad.

The run defense was outstanding to. Zwinak and Belton had 80 yards on 30 carries (2.7 ypc). Those two rushed for 1263 yards last year.

Total run defense was 38 attempts and only 57 yards.

(and for comparison purposes, Penn State DLine by my count had 3 TFL, 1 Sack and 2 hurries - identical numbers even though they seemed dominant)

The line was much better than this reads. There was a good amount if pressure on Hackenberg - and the stoned the PSU RB's all game.
Great against the running game. I didn't see consistent pressure in the passing game given the number of attempts. Quite often one guy might get some pressure but the qb would avoid that and then have plenty of time to throw. Even if the sacks weren't great, I would like to see more hurries.

Didn't we have at least two sacks? Welsh and Spruill?
Yeah. Those numbers I posted earlier were just for the d-line. I think it's significant because last year our lack of pass rush from just the d-line forced us to have to decide between blitzing and leaving us open to the big play or dropping into coverage and giving the qb too much time to find an open guy.