Dematha Teammates could split time in BE/ACC | Syracusefan.com

Dematha Teammates could split time in BE/ACC

So many parts of this article are awesome:

In stark contrast, Pittsburgh and Syracuse can now add to their recruiting pitch by saying they’re not only recruiting to the Big East for the immediate future, but to the ACC in the long run.

“Not to overstate what my guys are in terms of D.C.-area basketball, but James and Jerami both are two young men that are very well-liked by younger guys in this area and the best players coming up look up to both of those guys,” Jones said.

“So it’ll be easy for Jamie Dixon to come in here and talk to a kid that right now is a big James Robinson fan. Or it will be easy forJim Boeheim to come in and say, ‘Well, hey I coach Jerami Grant right now.’

I wasn't sure if it was possible, but our recruiting may get even better. Imagine stealing players from Dook and UNC.

In the article, there are mentions of how much super leagues will hurt the mid-majors. Will it really though? Assuming the fall of the Big East and Big 12 (eventually) I think the best mid-major conferences are going to end up as slightly stronger conferences by adding teams like Villanova, GTown, and Marquette who will bring bigger crowds and more nationally televised games, even if they are on the U. Heck even a blue blood like Kansas might end up in a league with the curren mid-majors.

I think the most likely way the mid-majors get hurt is if the Big East and Big 12 survive by adding SMUs, ECUs, UCFs, etc to fill out their football leagues, then pick up teams like a Xavier to move into a 'Big East'-like conferences with a bunch of basketball onlies.

I was just thinking that this morning-What a cool pitch. Come to SU and play in the ACC AND the BE-Twice the amount of schools you can play at

In the article, there are mentions of how much super leagues will hurt the mid-majors. Will it really though? Assuming the fall of the Big East and Big 12 (eventually) I think the best mid-major conferences are going to end up as slightly stronger conferences by adding teams like Villanova, GTown, and Marquette who will bring bigger crowds and more nationally televised games, even if they are on the U. Heck even a blue blood like Kansas might end up in a league with the curren mid-majors.

I think the most likely way the mid-majors get hurt is if the Big East and Big 12 survive by adding SMUs, ECUs, UCFs, etc to fill out their football leagues, then pick up teams like a Xavier to move into a 'Big East'-like conferences with a bunch of basketball onlies.

In the short term mid-majors wont be hurt, but in the long term I think think the divide between major and mid-major will grow. Right now the best mid-majors are quite a bit better than the worst major program teams, and I dont think that will be the case once the super-confrences are formed and all the best talent decides to play for those schools.

Can we make UConn into the next University of San Francisco? You know, they've won national titles, but now they're sitting in mid-majorland.

That would make me smile.

Can we make UConn into the next University of San Francisco? You know, they've won national titles, but now they're sitting in mid-majorland.

That would make me smile.

It would be a vast overstatement to say WE did it. But its not impossible that can happen. To me, everything is going to hinge on UConn finding a conference and making a good hire with their next coach (for both football and basketball). That is a lot of unknown for a school to be dealing with.

In the short term mid-majors wont be hurt, but in the long term I think think the divide between major and mid-major will grow. Right now the best mid-majors are quite a bit better than the worst major program teams, and I dont think that will be the case once the super-confrences are formed and all the best talent decides to play for those schools.

There are a lot of reason why I think mid-majors can continue to be relevant in CBB, even though they are biting the dust in CFB, here are the major ones:

- There's enough talent to go around. If you look at some of the best mid-major players over the last five years or so they were nobodies coming out of high school that didn't get high-major offers. Jimmer got no love from the Big East, Curry couldn't get a VPI offer, Leonard couldn't get a PAC-10 offer, the list goes on. The thing with basketball is you only need to find that 1 guy to surround with solid role players to compete at a national level. This isn't the case with football. Even BSU and TCU are pulling 3 and 4 star talent on a regular basis, every other D1 team that can't recruit high-major talent is irrelevant, that's not the case with CBB.

- I think good coaching helps you elevate a team much more in CBB than in CFB, keeping the mid-majors relevant. Let's face it, even with Kiffin (I consider him a bum) at the helm of USC, we lose that game to USC at lease 95 out of 100 times, with a great coach. In CBB, you put up a well coached team with decent players and you'll always have a lot better chance against the big boys. There are a ton of great coaches at the mid-majors, which will always keep them competitive on the national stage.

- The NCAA tournament always makes a good mid-major team relevant and that just makes them more fun to watch. I'm guessing I'm not the only fan that watches Xavier battle Temple on ESPNU rather than Duke blow out Virginia on ESPN. The most excited I got last season for a non-SU game was BYU vs SDSU in late January. Add that to how they effect the bubble for the big programs and there's reason for the media to pay attention, unlike in football.

- In CFB, you really only have 2 relevant mid-majors (TCU and BSU), with them, it's one strike and they become irrelevant. In CBB there are dozens of good mid-majors who have the ability to make Cinderella runs.

I think when you take these factors they'll keep mid-major CBB a heck of a lot more relevant than mid-major CFB and I think we'll still see the best mid-majors teams be significantly better than the worse high-majors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom