Dempsey back to MLS? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dempsey back to MLS?

I wondered that exact same thing when I saw it. I don't see any indication that he has claims to any other citizenship. I'd say he's firmly American, but who knows. Plus, he's only 11. Lots of time to flame out or simply decide that soccer isn't his passion.

I hate being reminded of Rossi. My god how he'd help us. Young, dynamic striker? Yeah, like we don't need one of those.

I hate being reminded of Rossi. My god how he'd help us. Young, dynamic striker? Yeah, like we don't need one of those.
Yeah, I know. But the U.S. has benefited more from defectors coming in to the USMNT player pool far, far more than it's been victimized. Just poached that Icelandic striker, too.

Rossi never gave the US team a chance anyway. He was Italy through and through. Imagine the recent get of Aron Johannsson. His only US connection is being born here to parents studying abroad and one year at the IMG Academy. Iceland ignored him and he switched because of a better path to the World Cup. Their is nothing American about him yet he chose the US. If I was from Iceland I'd be very upset.

I'm stunned that Dempsey made this move. Obviously there is more to the story. He's in his prime, captain of the national team, and was hungry for CL football before his move to Spurs. I bet Klinsmann is not happy about this but it's not his decision to make.

As for other Americans that could leave MLS for Europe, Juan Agudelo and Omar Gonzalez's contracts run out in January they will both look to move to Europe. Under the radar would be a guy like Luis Gil. He's 19 and was probably the best US player at the U-20 WC last month. I think his contract also ends either in January or next summer.

Part of the problem of US youth development is that guys aren't ready to make the jump from MLS until they are in the 24-27 range. Ideally the US has a structure where they sign at 18, reserve team at 19, make the bench/spot starts at 20, starter at 21, and dominate/move to Europe at 22. College soccer has limits on practice time while their rest of world counterpart is practicing in a pro environment everyday.

I don't see him getting regular time with any of the CL teams in England, and while he speaks Spanish he's not playing for Real or Barca. In the end, the money was probably too good to pass up.

I don't see him getting regular time with any of the CL teams in England, and while he speaks Spanish he's not playing for Real or Barca. In the end, the money was probably too good to pass up.

Ian Darke pointed out something crucial here too on his Twitter earlier. Not only is he getting great money, but he's going to get a big break leading into the World Cup, so he's going to be very well rested by the time it rolls around next summer. I wonder if that factored into his decision, since he knows this may be his last WC?

Ian Darke pointed out something crucial here too on his Twitter earlier. Not only is he getting great money, but he's going to get a big break leading into the World Cup, so he's going to be very well rested by the time it rolls around next summer. I wonder if that factored into his decision, since he knows this may be his last WC?

this definitely crossed my mind as well. Additionally if johnson makes the wc roster he and clint should bring some nice chemistry along. Also to your other comment we can indeed hope cameron and shea make a splash and become bigger names. I have higher hopes for cameron given his position and skillset but hopefully shea will surprise too.

There is some good news on that front.

given the strong connection of La liga players to the spanish national team if this kid grows up through the RM ranks I can only imagine him being persuaded to stick with the Spanish national team and somehow having them find him a spot to ensure he doesnt end up being a star for the USMNT. Thats a long ways off and i try to temper expectations with dissapointments like Adu and Convey etc.

Yeah. That whacky pound

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

You do realize the pound has lost about 25% to the dollar over the last 5 years, right? Perhaps you are wealthy enough to not consider that a significant loss of purchasing power.

Well... Not a bad weekend for me to go to my first Sounders game.

LOnd00k.jpg

Awesome atmosphere at the game. After the game, I was amazed at how many people we met that said "were you at the Sounders' game tonight?" They'll be averaging 50K+ in 5 or 10 years.

As long as Deuce keeps his work ethic the same, we'll be fine with him for 2014. Him being 'ready' is the least of my worries about this team.

Also, Yedlin is downright nasty. If he isn't the break-out player of the next 12 months I would be surprised. I'm not sure if we've ever had the speed/skill combo like him at fullback for the national team.

That's pretty awesome. Seattle is such a great sports city when they want to be, it's always been such a damn shame they lost their NBA franchise.

Also, Ian Darke was on Twitter again suggesting the possibility that Deuce could get loaned to a Prem team in January.

its too bad either the europa or champs league couldnt allow a competition from a concacaf side or two. travel would suck but seattle has a pretty good squad would love to see how they fared against some european comp. Just imagine getting a cl or europa eague game at century- one game always dream :)

its too bad either the europa or champs league couldnt allow a competition from a concacaf side or two. travel would suck but seattle has a pretty good squad would love to see how they fared against some european comp. Just imagine getting a cl or europa eague game at century- one game always dream :)

Can't imagine if they ever did they'd work out an arrangement with anyone but NY or DC considering, as you said, travel. It would have to be an East coast team, I'd think, which sucks considering the signature team is in LA and as you mentioned Seattle has probably the best fanbase and a solid squad.

Can't imagine if they ever did they'd work out an arrangement with anyone but NY or DC considering, as you said, travel. It would have to be an East coast team, I'd think, which sucks considering the signature team is in LA and as you mentioned Seattle has probably the best fanbase and a solid squad.

yeah i will hold onto that dream for a while anyways- i try to get into the conc. champs league but some of the central american squads make it ugly and the venues are often not very good not to even mention the tv coverage. it would have to be ny or dc for sure though. i wonder how long it will take ( if it ever happens) for mls revenues to come up high enough to be able to scrap the DP rules and start signing more talent and putting the league on a higher scale.

yeah i will hold onto that dream for a while anyways- i try to get into the conc. champs league but some of the central american squads make it ugly and the venues are often not very good not to even mention the tv coverage. it would have to be ny or dc for sure though. i wonder how long it will take ( if it ever happens) for mls revenues to come up high enough to be able to scrap the DP rules and start signing more talent and putting the league on a higher scale.

For the sake of argument, even if they allowed something like that, the seasons don't exactly align. Any team making the knockout stage would have to keep their squad in tact until the following March. Although I believe Russia and some Nordic countries have different domestic schedules.

For the sake of argument, even if they allowed something like that, the seasons don't exactly align. Any team making the knockout stage would have to keep their squad in tact until the following March. Although I believe Russia and some Nordic countries have different domestic schedules.

yeah ultimately to do something like that it would have to be its own unique tournament. Sort of like the club world cup championship. Most likely the MLS would have to be te driving force behind it too.. so yeah

Hopefully Julian Green will make us all forget about Rossi. He played in the Audi Cup with Bayern's senior squad, and I feel like he'll be loaned out from Bayern soon to further his development as they have a great history of doing this with their young guys. The only other potential problem is if Green joins the German national team, as he was born to an American father (military) and German mother.
http://www.americansoccernow.com/articles/julian-green-a-talented-teen-with-ties-to-the-u-s

the guy i want to see in the usmnt is zelalem who is already playing for my gunners. Kid has great vision and word is it is a possibility he wants to play for the us since he was raised here.

the guy i want to see in the usmnt is zelalem who is already playing for my gunners. Kid has great vision and word is it is a possibility he wants to play for the us since he was raised here.
GREAT vision indeed, and a heck of a passer.

There really is a great deal of talent in our player pool. It's light years ahead of where we were 20 years ago. The future is bright for this team.

I have heard Dempsey wanted to be close with his two sons in Texas and the fact he wasn't going to start in White Hart made him want to have an opportunity to play and keep himself in line to start in the WC. Dempsey wasn't going to start for Tottenham with their acquisitions and so he didn't want to be a super-sub and made the decision to get more playing time. Klinsmann has been on record you must be playing to have any chance to make the USA team. While Dempsey would be a lock to make the roster he probably saw the fact the USA "B" team won the Gold Cup and he doesn't even want to risk the possibility of getting sniped by anybody even though he scored 12 goals for the Spurs last year which wasn't shabby. I guess getting paid 8 million a year and getting to live in the USA isn't bad and I honestly I would expect in January he gets loaned to BPL during to the winter market and keeps himself in form like Landon Donovan did in 2010 during his stint at Everton. I would expect that Dempsey will only go to a team that will guarantee him the chance to play first team minutes it will probably be a team that should be mid-table but struggling and wants to stay clear of relegation. For the MLS this is good but honestly I could give a crap about the MLS and want our players playing at the highest levels possible.

I have heard Dempsey wanted to be close with his two sons in Texas and the fact he wasn't going to start in White Hart made him want to have an opportunity to play and keep himself in line to start in the WC. Dempsey wasn't going to start for Tottenham with their acquisitions and so he didn't want to be a super-sub and made the decision to get more playing time. Klinsmann has been on record you must be playing to have any chance to make the USA team. While Dempsey would be a lock to make the roster he probably saw the fact the USA "B" team won the Gold Cup and he doesn't even want to risk the possibility of getting sniped by anybody even though he scored 12 goals for the Spurs last year which wasn't shabby. I guess getting paid 8 million a year and getting to live in the USA isn't bad and I honestly I would expect in January he gets loaned to BPL during to the winter market and keeps himself in form like Landon Donovan did in 2010 during his stint at Everton. I would expect that Dempsey will only go to a team that will guarantee him the chance to play first team minutes it will probably be a team that should be mid-table but struggling and wants to stay clear of relegation. For the MLS this is good but honestly I could give a crap about the MLS and want our players playing at the highest levels possible.

I hope he doesn't go to England in January. Except for when he's been dinged up, he's been playing non-stop since August 2012. I think he's better served to get the rest and work himself into shape once the MLS season starts in March. Donovan went to Everton largely because he had something to prove (to himself and others) after his flame-outs in Germany. Dempsey doesn't need to prove anything on that stage. I just want him healthy and rested.

I hope he doesn't go to England in January. Except for when he's been dinged up, he's been playing non-stop since August 2012. I think he's better served to get the rest and work himself into shape once the MLS season starts in March. Donovan went to Everton largely because he had something to prove (to himself and others) after his flame-outs in Germany. Dempsey doesn't need to prove anything on that stage. I just want him healthy and rested.

I think you may be right about rest, but from the Grant Wahl article about the Dempsey signing it appears he will be loaned in January/February just to keep in form. I don't disagree a couple of months of rest probably would do him some good, but I bet Klinsmann is pushing him to play at a little higher level just to be a peak form for the WC. Donovan was in the wrong league IMO he style of play would have been more successful in Spain or England over Germany and I thought in 2010 he played really well for Everton.

Dempsey Article

love this thread, yea seattle has a little work to do to climb back into the MLS playoff hunt but they have hands down the best strike force in the league. I get the MLS package every year to support the league and looking forward to watching the sounders the rest of the season. If Clint is healthy he is an auto start for next summer WC and really they start match fitness in Feb for MLS so by June he should be fresh and match fit as possible, not haggard like some players are in may at the end of the euro season.

love this thread, yea seattle has a little work to do to climb back into the MLS playoff hunt but they have hands down the best strike force in the league. I get the MLS package every year to support the league and looking forward to watching the sounders the rest of the season. If Clint is healthy he is an auto start for next summer WC and really they start match fitness in Feb for MLS so by June he should be fresh and match fit as possible, not haggard like some players are in may at the end of the euro season.

I wouldn't say they have any work other than just winning their next match considering one game right now results in moving 4-5 spots in the table. I haven't re-read through this again to jog my memory but not sure whether it was here or somewhere else I read a comment about how in 2015 when NY FC comes on board they should dump the DP restrictions and the parity expectations and let the large markets go about their way as dominant forces. I think you could still get some solid mid-table squads in the well supported smaller markets. Additionally - how hard would it be to setup a clear tier system with some of the other leagues? Based upon the results of the U.S. Open Cup there are a lot of competitive squads outside the MLS...

yea true kinda meant the West is tough in the MLS, but yea you can shoot to 3rd place with a win... be awesome to have relegation, but long ways off. I did read the Garber is making each MLS team have a reserve team in some of the lower levels of soccer, which is a great move for player development.