Dennis Dodd tweet "SEC #14 WVU or Mizzou"-- | Syracusefan.com

Dennis Dodd tweet "SEC #14 WVU or Mizzou"--

Jake

Mod
If it's WVU, the shitstorm will hit us much earlier than if it's Mizzou. I don't like either choice.

There is still a live rumor that the SEC will quickly go to 16 and take Mizzou, Clemson & FSU. Which was the original rumor that kicked off this latest round of expansion.

I have a hard time buying the Texas, Syracuse, UCONN & Rutgers to the ACC rumor. Chip Brown is nothing but a UT mouthpiece. Seems like UT is trying to leverage the Pac 12 or Big Tweleven for an invite.

I think Texas will be the absolute LAST domino to fall in expansion. They feel they can weasel in on any conference and will be more than happy to sit in a watered down Big 12 until they get what they want. They're Texas after all.

If it's WVU, the shitstorm will hit us much earlier than if it's Mizzou. I don't like either choice.

Seems logical, though. They jive with the "gentleman's agreement" and add schools similar to those already in the SEC (big public schools, small dedicated market/fanbase.

gotta get to the acc.

gotta keep the acc at 12.

gotta add gtown, nova, st johns and nd for hoop.

Big East FB should be bold. SU UCONN RU WVU Pitt Lville, USF Cinn TCU
Texas OU OSU Kansas K State Mizzou

Next two to say yes out of the following in. ND, PSU, BC, MD, V Tech, Miami

The Great America Conference.

Get North East, some Florida, Texas, maybe Chicago, Texas and Midwest for TV.

Pay the exit fee

The 16 team super conference

Play bball at the Meadowlands until the BE/MSG contract is up.

Don't agree at all that the SEC will act quick with additional teams. It was just a few weeks ago that Texas A&M applied for membership and the SEC denied them. They aren't going to accept them now and then all of a sudden be quick on the trigger to add 3 teams.

Losing WV would hurt.

That would be a very bad first step.

I've been trying to figure out what the hell you would rename the Big East if you added more "western or mid-west" teams. This is better than anything that I thought of but simple at the same time "thumps up emoticon that doesn't exist"

Forget Texas. The ACC would be hard enough for Texans to swallow, although I think they would come around quickly. Texas will not be affiliated with Yankees. WVU to SEC, scarily, makes a lot of sense. If I'm the SEC, I want them a helluva lot more than MO.

The Big 12 with Texas and Oklahoma is much stronger than the Big East is currently. IF Texas and Oklahoma stay in the Big 12 (which seems doubtful) they would raid a few Big East teams to get the Big 12 back to 12 teams.

Most likely, the PAC 16 will take Texas, Oklahoma, OK State and Texas Tech. The SEC will take Texas A&M, Florida State, Clemson and one other mystery team to get to 16.

If it's either West Virginia or Missouri, it will have a significant impact.

If WVU leaves, you can count the Big East as every man for himself. If Missouri to the SEC, then the Big Ten's targets have been reduced by one and that just focuses on possible Big Ten expansion eastward.

My shot in the dark:

- Texas A&M to the SEC starts the process -> SEC adds Missouri to go to 14.
- Pac-12 adds Texas, Oklahoma, Ok State, and Texas Tech to become the Pac-16
- SEC adds West Virginia and a current ACC school such as VT, Clemson, FSU to go to 16.

At this point, the ACC is at 11, the Big Ten at 12 - looking at the Big East and Big 12 remnants (and ND), the following BCS schools are left:
Syracuse, UConn, Pitt, Rutgers, South Florida, Cincinnati, Louisville, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Baylor, Notre Dame, (TCU?)

Removing the schools that I believe are non-starters to any Big Ten or ACC expansion, you have left:
Syracuse, UConn, Pitt, Rutgers, Notre Dame, Kansas

So if the ACC wants to go to 16, they need all 5, if the Big Ten wants to go to 16, they need 4, where you have 6 realistic candidates out there.

If I had to guess, I'd say that if/when any ACC team is poached by the SEC, the ACC will give a call to someone in the northeast (which I think will be SU first, but let's say it's any one of SU, UConn, RU, Pitt). I think that this is the move that will force the Big Ten's hand and make them proactive of whether to go after the NYC market, so of the five schools above, each one is going one place or another.

So here's my guess as to how it all looks when the music stops:

Pac-16:
USC, UCLA, California, Stanford, Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas

SEC (16):
Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Texas A&M, Missouri, West Virginia, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Arkansas, Virginia Tech

Big Ten (16):
Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana, Purdue, Penn State, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Rutgers (if the Big Ten adds just ND and one more to go to 14, then take 2 of the 3 of SU, Pitt, RU and put them in the ACC)

ACC (12):
North Carolina, Duke, Maryland, Virginia, Wake Forest, NC State, Clemson, Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Boston College, UConn

Big 12/Big East Remnants:
Louisville, Cincinnati, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, South Florida, TCU, etc.

Big East FB should be bold. SU UCONN RU WVU Pitt Lville, USF Cinn TCU
Texas OU OSU Kansas K State Mizzou

Next two to say yes out of the following in. ND, PSU, BC, MD, V Tech, Miami

Get North East, some Florida, Texas, maybe Chicago, Texas and Midwest for TV.

Pay the exit fee

The 16 team super conference

Play bball at the Meadowlands until the BE/MSG contract is up.

Uh, okay. That has a chance of happening.

If Missouri to the SEC, then the Big Ten's targets have been reduced by one and that just focuses on possible Big Ten expansion eastward.

Missouri would leave the SEC in a heartbeat to be in the B1G.

What I see happening is...

B1G - adds Missouri and Rutgers
SEC - adds Texas A&M and West Virginia
ACC - adds Syracuse and Pittsburgh
PAC - adds Oklahoma and Oklahoma State

Big East - adds Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Baylor, and Memphis
MWC - adds UTEP, Utah State, Houston, and SMU/Tulsa
CUSA - adds Louisiana Tech

Big XII - will cease to exist

Missouri would leave the SEC in a heartbeat to be in the B1G.

What I see happening is...

B1G - adds Missouri and Rutgers
SEC - adds Texas A&M and West Virginia
ACC - adds Syracuse and Pittsburgh
PAC - adds Oklahoma and Oklahoma State

Big East - adds Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Baylor, and Memphis
MWC - adds UTEP, Utah State, Houston, and SMU/Tulsa
CUSA - adds Louisiana Tech

Big XII - will cease to exist

Completely agree on Missouri wants the B1G, I just don't think the B1G has any interest in expanding west again after picking up Nebraska. Delany said as much when he said if there was additional expansion, it would be east.

Coming from UofM, I don't think there is any interest in Rutgers. The idea of RU to the B1G seems to be something that sportswriters have thrown out there simply by looking at a map. The value that Rutgers could bring is as a package deal with a school like SU to surround the NY market rather than the idea of one school delivering it.

If it's either West Virginia or Missouri, it will have a significant impact.

If WVU leaves, you can count the Big East as every man for himself. If Missouri to the SEC, then the Big Ten's targets have been reduced by one and that just focuses on possible Big Ten expansion eastward.

My shot in the dark:

- Texas A&M to the SEC starts the process -> SEC adds Missouri to go to 14.
- Pac-12 adds Texas, Oklahoma, Ok State, and Texas Tech to become the Pac-16
- SEC adds West Virginia and a current ACC school such as VT, Clemson, FSU to go to 16.

At this point, the ACC is at 11, the Big Ten at 12 - looking at the Big East and Big 12 remnants (and ND), the following BCS schools are left:
Syracuse, UConn, Pitt, Rutgers, South Florida, Cincinnati, Louisville, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Baylor, Notre Dame, (TCU?)

Removing the schools that I believe are non-starters to any Big Ten or ACC expansion, you have left:
Syracuse, UConn, Pitt, Rutgers, Notre Dame, Kansas

So if the ACC wants to go to 16, they need all 5, if the Big Ten wants to go to 16, they need 4, where you have 6 realistic candidates out there.

If I had to guess, I'd say that if/when any ACC team is poached by the SEC, the ACC will give a call to someone in the northeast (which I think will be SU first, but let's say it's any one of SU, UConn, RU, Pitt). I think that this is the move that will force the Big Ten's hand and make them proactive of whether to go after the NYC market, so of the five schools above, each one is going one place or another.

So here's my guess as to how it all looks when the music stops:

Pac-16:
USC, UCLA, California, Stanford, Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Texas

SEC (16):
Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Texas A&M, Missouri, West Virginia, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Arkansas, Virginia Tech

Big Ten (16):
Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana, Purdue, Penn State, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Rutgers (if the Big Ten adds just ND and one more to go to 14, then take 2 of the 3 of SU, Pitt, RU and put them in the ACC)

ACC (12):
North Carolina, Duke, Maryland, Virginia, Wake Forest, NC State, Clemson, Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Boston College, UConn

Big 12/Big East Remnants:
Louisville, Cincinnati, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, South Florida, TCU, etc.
The only way the B1G gets ND is to collapse the Big East making it non-viable. That means taking at least 2 and maybe 3 schools in order to get ND. SU likely would be one of them. I hope it doesn't happen. It may be good financially but it will be bad bad bad for our teams from a competitive standpoint. We will be forever irrelevant in football, always in the bottom third of the conference. Basketball will decline as our prime east coast recruiting areas will wither as kids will want to play for schools in the area conferences like the ACC, which will have some of the BE football remnants folded in, or the B-ball onlys which might form a new league under the Big East name. I'm hoping the SEC stops at 14 with A&M and maybe Missouri or Florida St. The SEC has better options than WVU which is a small population state with no sizable media markets. If the SEC stops at 14 the B1G maybe doesn't have to respond. Then if the BE can add KU, KSU, MU (or Baylor if MU goes SEC), hopefully the BE can survive.

How much more money will the SEC make with West Virginia?

Enough to split 14 ways and come out ahead?

Exactly.

If anyone really thinks Rutgers gives you the NYC market they are freaking nuts. ND, SU or UConn get you way more TV's in NYC.

The only way the B1G gets ND is to collapse the Big East making it non-viable. That means taking at least 2 and maybe 3 schools in order to get ND. SU likely would be one of them. I hope it doesn't happen. It may be good financially but it will be bad bad bad for our teams from a competitive standpoint. We will be forever irrelevant in football, always in the bottom third of the conference. Basketball will decline as our prime east coast recruiting areas will wither as kids will want to play for schools in the area conferences like the ACC, which will have some of the BE football remnants folded in, or the B-ball onlys which might form a new league under the Big East name. I'm hoping the SEC stops at 14 with A&M and maybe Missouri or Florida St. The SEC has better options than WVU which is a small population state with no sizable media markets. If the SEC stops at 14 the B1G maybe doesn't have to respond. Then if the BE can add KU, KSU, MU (or Baylor if MU goes SEC), hopefully the BE can survive.

This is exactly what I fear... .especially the part where you talk about our bball team and the loss of future recruits

It was just a few weeks ago that Texas A&M applied for membership and the SEC denied them.
That's not what happened, nor what they said.

The SEC did not want to appear to be raiding another conference and, as a result, set themselves up to be party to a lawsuit. aTm's recent moves were all done to position themselves to apply to the SEC as an independent school. They wouldn't have done that if they weren't assured of being accepted by the SEC. Well, that is unless the Aggies got themselves so focused on hating all things Longhorn that they misinterpreted the SEC's message.