Dennis Gates (HC) from Cleveland State | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dennis Gates (HC) from Cleveland State

Endowment: SU 1.39 billion, U of M 17 billion
Athletic Budget: SU 80 million, U of M 180 million

Donors, boosters, student body, 30 for 30s. You name it. Yes, Syracuse has a richer basketball history, but not drastically richer to offset everything else about comparing the two schools.

I can't imagine a lot of coaches would pick Syracuse over Ann Arbor, but hey, it's all just speculation.
Yeah. Endowments win basketball games. It’s amazing seeing all these football schools automatically be good at basketball.

Last edited:
I mean those discounting Dennis Gates should watch his team play. The passing is elite, find the extra man on a cut as someone is pump faking and crashing for the boards...It was a beautiful brand of basketball...Cleveland State was horrible program, and he got them to 25 wins last year...If that doesn't interest you than idk what does. The ghost of 2010 Mike Hopkins?...We'll probably just pay Gerry or Red 1.5 M, and tell them not to f it up anymore...If we go outside, going to a League like the Horizon for a guy who would probably love to lead a team like Syracuse based off of his biography etc...He's been at 4-5 Major Programs as assistant so it's not like he's not unfamiliar how to run a program...He also is incredibly smart having graduating from Cal in 3 years...He'll probably end up back at Cal in 2-3 years...Just wanted to bring attention to an under radar guy like this.

also read his bio...Graduated from Cal Berkeley in 3 years, and was a 2 time Academic All-American at Cal...played in 2001-2002 last...He would be a guy, I would like to have coach our program in the future...
There is no future . How dare you .

Yeah. Endowments win basketball games. It’s amazing seeing all these football schools automatically be good at basketball.
Both schools have 1 title and a bunch of final fours including a couple in the past decade. They've made the title game twice in the last decade. They have a historic brand and history. They have their alum coach locked up that just brought in a #1 recruiting class. So they have history, recent history and are currently relevant. Pretty ridiculous to think they aren't a prestigious program.

Both schools have 1 title and a bunch of final fours including a couple in the past decade. They've made the title game twice in the last decade. They have a historic brand and history. They have their alum coach locked up that just brought in a #1 recruiting class. So they have history, recent history and are currently relevant. Pretty ridiculous to think they aren't a prestigious program.
Where did I say that? I never did so stop posting things I never posted.

Poster said they were ahead of us historically which is stupid chicken little sht. AND if you’re going to use decade we have a Couple FF’s during that time too. Apologize if it offends the chicken little place.

And where did I say that? You asked what I based my assessment that Michigan is a more elite job than Syracuse, and I pointed out some the areas Michigan has significant advantages over Syracuse. I think those advantages make Michigan a bigger, more prestigious gig. Endowments correlate with financial resources, donors, and boosters and those things correlate with nice facilities. I'd guess they sell more jerseys than us, and although it gets tricky to separate football from basketball when it comes to how much money sneaker companies throw at a coach in just one of the sports, I'd guess they win there too.

But hey, maybe you think all time winning percentage is the main factor.

And where did I say that? You asked what I based my assessment that Michigan is a more elite job than Syracuse, and I pointed out some the areas Michigan has significant advantages over Syracuse. I think those advantages make Michigan a bigger, more prestigious gig. Endowments correlate with financial resources, donors, and boosters and those things correlate with nice facilities. I'd guess they sell more jerseys than us, and although it gets tricky to separate football from basketball when it comes to how much money sneaker companies throw at a coach in just one of the sports, I'd guess they win there too.

But hey, maybe you think all time winning percentage is the main factor.

My dad lived in Michigan when they were terrible. Nobody cares about basketball there like they do here and that area of Michigan ain't much different than living in upstate NY. I spent summers there in the 90's.

I find it odd you picked Michigan and Ohio State as the next best jobs after the blue bloods. Michigan isn't even the best basketball job in that state. Seems like you're basing everything on football. If football was the defining factor why are soo many football schools terrible at basketball?

They are prestigious, but so is Syracuse. UConn was prestigious too, even when it was going through its three losing seasons.

I understand being down on the program as it stands currently, but we're a top 15 job in the country.

They are prestigious, but so is Syracuse. UConn was prestigious too, even when it was going through its three losing seasons.

I understand being down on the program as it stands currently, but we're a top 15 job in the country.
Has anyone said that we aren't?

Yes. The guy I responded to.
Well that's absurd. ACC money + top 2/3 in attendance every year locks us in as a top 10-12 job without question. We'd have to crater and average like 8,000 per game which would make the Dome seem horrible in order to fall out of that 2nd tier of elite programs.

We aren't a top 50 program right now. Yes, we have pedigree, but this isn't exactly a Duke, Kentucky, or Michigan prestige level job. Identifying and hiring a talented young coach at a Cleveland State type school is exactly the kind of hire we should be looking for. Realistically, its either that or mid-tier guy from a similar middle-table P5 school.

This board is pickier than Seinfeld. "She eats her peas one at a time!"
Syracuse is better than picking a Cleveland state guy, simple as that. If the admin goes that route, they’ve given up.

Yeah, you guys are right. I look forward to seeing Steve Kerr steering the ship when JB retires in 5 years. LGO.

Yeah, you guys are right. I look forward to seeing Steve Kerr steering the ship when JB retires in 5 years. LGO.
This post is pointless and makes zero sense. Don’t post chicken little sht and you won’t get called out.

This post is pointless and makes zero sense. Don’t post chicken little sht and you won’t get called out.

Ooooh, I'm scared! "Call me out" all you want, at the end of the day unless you want to poll all current coaches on which jobs are the most desirable all we're doing is speculating. I think Michigan is a bigger job for all the reasons I listed, you don't, that's fine.

I think some people have seriously orange-tinted glasses on when it comes to how desirable our HC position is. Not today, not tomorrow, but someday in the future we'll find out. Unless they go internal, of course.

Ooooh, I'm scared! "Call me out" all you want, at the end of the day unless you want to poll all current coaches on which jobs are the most desirable all we're doing is speculating. I think Michigan is a bigger job for all the reasons I listed, you don't, that's fine.

I think some people have seriously orange-tinted glasses on when it comes to how desirable our HC position is. Not today, not tomorrow, but someday in the future we'll find out. Unless they go internal, of course.
Yeah, well lately our fans have turned into a bunch of idiot chicken littles. Very far from orange colored glasses. And they did an ACC poll on this literally a couple years ago. I am sure you will argue with this poll though just because.

Yeah, well lately our fans have turned into a bunch of idiot chicken littles. Very far from orange colored glasses. And they did an ACC poll on this literally a couple years ago. I am sure you will argue with this poll though just because.
Don't think anyone is acting like a "chicken little". JB is 77 friggin years old and the program has unquestionably been pointed downward for multiple years. JB had lost more than 12 games a grand total of 4 times between 1976 and 2014. He's now done it 6 of the last 7 and highly likely again this year. People should be pretty distraught about the new normal. The other option is that people stop caring at all and that's significantly worse.

Yeah ok. Carlsberg better go back to kicking rocks and come up with better suggestions or his posting rights will be taken away.

Don't think anyone is acting like a "chicken little". JB is 77 friggin years old and the program has unquestionably been pointed downward for multiple years. JB had lost more than 12 games a grand total of 4 times between 1976 and 2014. He's now done it 6 of the last 7 and highly likely again this year. People should be pretty distraught about the new normal. The other option is that people stop caring at all and that's significantly worse.
Not what I was even arguing. It's the posts comparing us long term to Rutgers and saying we aren't a top 15 job that are dumb and make people look absolutely stupid. That was the argument here.

Not what I was even arguing. It's the posts comparing us long term to Rutgers and saying we aren't a top 15 job that are dumb and make people look absolutely stupid. That was the argument here.
Will agree with those though I don't know that anyone has really compared SU to Rutgers at any point. My whole argument for years is essentially the same, that this job is TOO good to hand to an unproven assistant on the bench. Could it work? Sure. Do I think it would? Probably not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom