Deontay Wilder | Syracusefan.com

Deontay Wilder

SWC75

Bored Historian
...drives me crazy. he paws at his opponent with a long but weak jab, takes forever to unleash the right hand, gets truly "wilder" when he's got a guy in trouble. He seems all arms and legs and often out of balance. But man, when that right hand lands, he could knock out a grizzly bear. Tonight I had him behind Luis Ortiz, who had him in real trouble in the 7th round, ahead 87-84 going into the 10th round when that right hand landed and Wilder overwhelmed him with a flurry of punches, only half of which landed but one was an uppercut that ended the fight. Otriz was the better fighter but he still lost.

Watching Joshua almost go down the Klitchko's right hands, I think wilder would probably beat him, too. But you would never use Deontay to illustrate a book on "How to Box".

I had him behind too. He will and has looked better against righties. He has one of the best jabs I've ever seen, but gets negated against south paw's. Also I think him getting sick in camp and losing the weight might've had some impact. Loved seeing him in big trouble, and get out of it. I think he impressed with his chin, no one really knew much about that aspect of his game.

He does have an unorthodox style for sure. Also his defense isn't great. He's still a work in progress on his boxing game, but that's scary in itself on what he can become. Not sure he's ever going to look fluid in the ring though. I like that every chance he gets he talks about unification. Can't wait for the Joshua fight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom