Depth Chart thread | Syracusefan.com

Depth Chart thread

Rocco

Watching you.
While we are in the quiet period, I figure we could kill time by offering each other's 2-deep for this year's team. We know who's on campus for the 2014 season, so fire away. I will come up with mine later today or tomorrow.

T-minus 60 days...

Kiss the rest of my morning goodbye. I go for experience on offense here.

West Parris Hickey Trudo Miller N. Robinson Foy Estime Broyld
(Cornelius) (Moore) (Lasker) (Palmer) (Emerich) (Hayes) (McGloster) (Avant) (Flemming/Funderburke)

Hunt Gulley/Morris
(Kimble) (MacFarlane)

On defense, there are more guesses and more Freshmen.

Eskridge Kelly
(Scissum) (Desir) Okie: Morgan or Scissum

Lynch Hodge Davis
(Vigille) (Arcianega) (Thomas)

Reddish Welsh Crume Coleman M. Robinson Whigham
(Morgan) (Thompson) (Williams) (Zeke) (Simmons) (Hudson/Dowels/Cordy)

(Cornelius) (Moore) (Lasker) (Palmer) (Emerich) (Hayes) (McGloster) (Avant) (Flemming/Funderburke)

Hunt Gulley/Morris
(Kimble) (MacFarlane)

Eskridge Kelly

Lynch Hodge Davis

Well I think you nailed it. I think Flemming could beat out West or Broyld if he could stay healthy.

While we are in the quiet period, I figure we could kill time by offering each other's 2-deep for this year's team. We know who's on campus for the 2014 season, so fire away. I will come up with mine later today or tomorrow.

T-minus 60 days...

Without really digging in my guess is that the only real battles are at backup QB, if Morris can displace Gulley at TB, given his durability issues maybe PTG should be given a 3rd down back roll, who the rotation guys are at WR, I think West, Broyld and Estime are locked in. On defense MLB and at safety between Kelly and Desir might be the only real drama.

Hunt Gulley/Morris
(Kimble) (MacFarlane)

Eskridge Kelly

Lynch Hodge Davis

Not much to argue with there.

OFFENSE 3 deep

QB1 - Hunt (has made great improvements in the off-season to build off of his stellar finish to the 2nd half of the season; McDonald, Lester and Shafer are 110% behind him right now)
QB2 - Kimble (was a little banged up in the spring, but he is my sleeper - I don't think either of the freshmen or Wilson will beat him out for the backup spot)
QB3 - Eduoard (our slinger from FL - he is the QB in 2016)

RB1 - Morris/Gulley (they are interchangeable and will be in quite a few 2 back sets - provide a formidable duo with DMC chipping in at times)
RB2 - DMC
RB3 - AAM (will be used as a FB or in tank packages - he looked better in spring ball, but will barely see the field)

FB1 - Cleveland/Provo
FB2 - AAM (may see some time here)

WR1 - Broyld (starting his 2nd year in his full-time position, I look to AB for a big breakout year; focusing on catching the ball and techniques will have this come to fruition)
WR2 - Funderburke (would love to see him make a charge)
WR3 - Ishmael

WR1 - West (when West is the primary target, he does not possess the go-get-em attitude we need from him; with AB, Estime and others stepping up this year, I expect West to have a 40+ catch season)
WR2 - Cornelius (my breakout player of the year - I think he is our best downfield option)
WR3 - Flemming (does he finally stay healthy for a year? He is a massive target with a good vert and sound hands)

- Estime (my favorite player and one of the focal points in this year's offense; I am expecting explosiveness and a dynamic player that we started to see last year)
H2 - Winfield (freak athlete and capable of doing big things in space)
H3 - Avant (another FL kid with great quickness)

TE1 - Parris (great grasp of the playbook and one of the natural leaders on the team)
TE2 - Moore (still a tweener, but I think he could be effectively used similar to how he was utilized in the NW game - big frame, good hands, smooth stride)
TE3 - Custis/Enoicy (much debate about where these kids end up, but I think in a Kenny Britt-type of role; McD will not be afraid to use them if they can handle the playbook)

LT1 - Hickey (potential 1st/2nd round pick who will protect Hunt's ass all year and roadblock for sweeps to Morris)
LT2 - Ward (besides Lasker on the right side, I am looking forward to the battle of the 2nd unit)
LT3 - McGloster

LG1 - Trudo (stud, sound guard who is a road grater)
LG2 - Palmer (was challenging Robinson and will be on the field this year as injuries arise)
LG3 - Hayes

C1 - John Miller (has emerged as the favorite over Emerich and who has had a very good off-season; bummed about losing Macky, but next man up... )
C2 - Emerich
C3 - Trudo (would slide over even as the backup if need be)

RG1 - Robinson (a little dinged up in the spring, who has to hold off a hard run by Palmer; I think Robinson becomes a 2nd or 3rd team All-ACC)
RG2 - Palmer (will be on both sides)
RG3 - Hayes

RT1 - Foy (needs to get his head screwed on straight)
RT2 - Lasker (had experience from last year)
RT3 - Jon Burton

Last edited:

Hunt Gulley/Morris
(Kimble) (MacFarlane)

Eskridge Kelly

Lynch Hodge Davis

I'd put Kirkland over Thomas. Otherwise looks good.

I'd put Kirkland over Thomas. Otherwise looks good.
I'm glad you brought that up. As well liked as Kirkland is, I just think he's more of a special teams killer than a rotation linebacker.

No one thinks Franklin breaks the two deep at LB?

I'm glad you brought that up. As well liked as Kirkland is, I just think he's more of a special teams killer than a rotation linebacker.

Good problem to have, huh? :)

Thomas is actually one of my favorite recruits. Love his highlight reel. A bigger Dyshawn.

No one thinks Franklin breaks the two deep at LB?

He may, but we don't need him to this year. It's important to be able to redshirt all of the freshmen unless one is absolutely sure-fire. Understanding this defensive playbook is challenging to say the least.

1's - Lynch, Hodge, Davis
2's - Kirkland, Luke, Vigille
3's - Perry, Thomas, Moskal, Bennett, Franklin

He may, but we don't need him to this year. It's important to be able to redshirt all of the freshmen unless one is absolutely sure-fire. Understanding this defensive playbook is challenging to say the least.

Don't forget PJ Batten with the 3's, he looks the part.

o line will look like lt sean hickey lg omari palmer center rob trudo rg nick robinson rt ivan foy

o line will look like lt sean hickey lg omari palmer center rob trudo rg nick robinson rt ivan foy

John Miller is starting at C unless he gets hurt.

o ok thought rob was still taking snaps at center and also have not seen much written on john miller ..

Would love to see a bit more of McFarlane.

DMC will get his fair share of touches

I love our running backs, I think PTG will have a bigger year.

OFFENSE 3 deep

QB1 - Hunt (has made great improvements in the off-season to build off of his stellar finish to the 2nd half of the season; McDonald, Lester and Shafer are 110% behind him right now)
QB2 - Kimble (was a little banged up in the spring, but he is my sleeper - I don't think either of the freshmen or Wilson will beat him out for the backup spot)
QB3 - Eduoard (our slinger from FL - he is the QB in 2016)

RB1 - Morris/Gulley (they are interchangeable and will be in quite a few 2 back sets - provide a formidable duo with DMC chipping in at times)
RB2 - DMC
RB3 - AAM (will be used as a FB or in tank packages - he looked better in spring ball, but will barely see the field)

FB1 - Cleveland/Provo
FB2 - AAM (may see some time here)

WR1 - Broyld (starting his 2nd year in his full-time position, I look to AB for a big breakout year; focusing on catching the ball and techniques will have this come to fruition)
WR2 - Funderburke (would love to see him make a charge)
WR3 - Ishmael

WR1 - West (when West is the primary target, he does not possess the go-get-em attitude we need from him; with AB, Estime and others stepping up this year, I expect West to have a 40+ catch season)
WR2 - Cornelius (my breakout player of the year - I think he is our best downfield option)
WR3 - Flemming (does he finally stay healthy for a year? He is a massive target with a good vert and sound hands)

- Estime (my favorite player and one of the focal points in this year's offense; I am expecting explosiveness and a dynamic player that we started to see last year)
H2 - Winfield (freak athlete and capable of doing big things in space)
H3 - Avant (another FL kid with great quickness)

TE1 - Parris (great grasp of the playbook and one of the natural leaders on the team)
TE2 - Moore (still a tweener, but I think he could be effectively used similar to how he was utilized in the NW game - big frame, good hands, smooth stride)
TE3 - Custis/Enoicy (much debate about where these kids end up, but I think in a Kenny Britt-type of role; McD will not be afraid to use them if they can handle the playbook)

LT1 - Hickey (potential 1st/2nd round pick who will protect Hunt's ass all year and roadblock for sweeps to Morris)
LT2 - Ward (besides Lasker on the right side, I am looking forward to the battle of the 2nd unit)
LT3 - McGloster

LG1 - Trudo (stud, sound guard who is a road grater)
LG2 - Palmer (was challenging Robinson and will be on the field this year as injuries arise)
LG3 - Hayes

C1 - John Miller (has emerged as the favorite over Emerich and who has had a very good off-season; bummed about losing Macky, but next man up... )
C2 - Emerich
C3 - Trudo (would slide over even as the backup if need be)

RG1 - Robinson (a little dinged up in the spring, who has to hold off a hard run by Palmer; I think Robinson becomes a 2nd or 3rd team All-ACC)
RG2 - Palmer (will be on both sides)
RG3 - Hayes

RT1 - Foy (needs to get his head screwed on straight)
RT2 - Lasker (had experience from last year)
RT3 - Jon Burton
I thing that AAM may see the field more than most think

I thing that AAM may see the field more than most think

His whole career at SU has been a surprise to me. I really thought he'd have had more PT and for a while I thought for sure he was going to transfer. I honestly don't understand the couple of touches he had in garbage time last year to take away a whole year of eligibility but that obviously is between him and the staff and I'd love to see him get 6 to 14 touches a game this year. Personally I have him over Gulley but the staff thinks otherwise and to me he adds something different, good size and he's pretty good a reading holes. Don't know about his ability to pick up blockers and receiving skills and would love to see how he'd do catching dump passes from Hunt.

His whole career at SU has been a surprise to me.

The difficulty controlling his weight has been his biggest issue. It's a shame because he has great talent.

I like wilson to give a run at second string. Like his arm much better than Kimble
Will never happen in McDonald's offense. Other than Edouard, Kimball is the best athlete of the QB group and, despite his quirky delivery, has a very strong arm.

His whole career at SU has been a surprise to me. I really thought he'd have had more PT and for a while I thought for sure he was going to transfer. I honestly don't understand the couple of touches he had in garbage time last year to take away a whole year of eligibility but that obviously is between him and the staff and I'd love to see him get 6 to 14 touches a game this year. Personally I have him over Gulley but the staff thinks otherwise and to me he adds something different, good size and he's pretty good a reading holes. Don't know about his ability to pick up blockers and receiving skills and would love to see how he'd do catching dump passes from Hunt.

He just not the type of RB we want in our offense. We don't want the big bruisers like Rome and AAM. We want the quick, shifty, all-purpose backs like PTG, McFarland, Morris, and Erv. I'd be surprised if AAM gets more then 10 carries when it matters.

I have to disagree with you here. I think Franklin, Moskal, and Thomas all play, and for the most part back up the 1's. The size is there, the talent is there, and all can be huge assets on special teams. Plus I am pretty sure Franklin was already told he will not red shirt. Saving the year of eligibility is important, but you also don't get to travel with the teams if you redshirt. Since 2 of the 3 will most likely be starting in 2015 I think Shafer would want them to see some road environments to get them some experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom