Description of the Baylor Offense | Syracusefan.com

Description of the Baylor Offense

Firstly, it was fun to make that link a favorite and file it under "Syracuse".

Some of it looks like things we were already doing. Again, the key may be how efficiently you are doing it and with what athletes.

The key, obviously, is that you stretch the defense out with the threat of the pass and thus open up the running game in the middle of the field., instead of coming out running to set up the occasional pass.

I like the fact that the deep pass is a big part of their strategy. it's not just dink and dunk where an aggressive defense can just knock them down on every play until they get punch-drunk.

I'm surprised Briles like huge 300++ linemen. I would think blocking in space in multiple types of plays that utilize the whole field involves lighter, quicker linemen of the sort the Broncos were famous for. He's certainly going to have a blank slate to work with there as it will be a major rebuilding area. I wonder what his strength and conditioning program for linemen is like.

The article also says that he wants huge 220+ running backs, (or at least that's what he had when this was written). We may have to change our recruiting from the 190-200 type guys we've been getting. Again, I would have suspected that lither, quicker running backs, than the 220+ guys) would thrive in this offense. But maybe he wants the Adonis Ameen-Moore type. That guy who got the ball so many times in the MAC title game was something like that.

Phillips and Estime are fun but I think Babers is going to want more guys like Ismael who are receivers first and speedsters or zig-zag guys second.

It's fascinating. We should have been employing this for years. To a certain extent, it's a talent equalizer. Yes,you still have to have people to throw, catch and run but you can tire out a defense quickly

That was your takeaway?

I've seen a lot of air raid mentions here.

Considering I wanted Montgomery to be looked at in 2013, I'm not late to the party on this. What's the takeaway I should have mentioned.

If you've got something to add, have at it.

Given your unwavering, unquestioning support of the last regime, I'm sure you'll have some great pearls of wisdom to offer.

GoSU96 said:
I've seen a lot of air raid mentions here. Considering I wanted Montgomery to be looked at in 2013, I'm not late to the party on this. What's the takeaway I should have mentioned. If you've got something to add, have at it. Given your unwavering, unquestioning support of the last regime, I'm sure you'll have some great pearls of wisdom to offer.

I'm unwavering in my support of all of our coaching regimes until they lose me - as you'll find out. I'm proud to have supported them for as long as I did - they are good guys.

Now for my pearl of wisdom: if you want to quibble about the differences between the air raid and Briles spread - go ahead. Both are hugely successful. The biggest difference is that the air raid is easier to stop and it's been around longer.

Is it air raid is going to be the football board's version of zone vs man, and I couldn't be happier.

We scored because of the air raid offense! :mad:

No we didn't. We scored because of the Briles spread! :mad:

:)

I've seen a lot of air raid mentions here.

Considering I wanted Montgomery to be looked at in 2013, I'm not late to the party on this. What's the takeaway I should have mentioned.

If you've got something to add, have at it.

Given your unwavering, unquestioning support of the last regime, I'm sure you'll have some great pearls of wisdom to offer.

It's OK to be a loyalist to a previous regime as long as you offer support to the current one as well. (As long as they prove to be worthy of it.)

SWC75 said:
It's OK to be a loyalist to a previous regime as long as you offer support to the current one as well. (As long as they prove to be worthy of it.)

Agreed. And "unquestioning" is a bit strong for any coach or staff. I had plenty of questions about the old staff. I'll have some with this staff.

Babers history is to throw more than Briles, I think. BG is more like 54% pass. That is about 8 or 9% more or about 7-8 more passes per game.

The "Briles Ball" Mentality: (via 'The Art of @SmartFootball')

CW2kAMgWwAAHKn3.jpg

I want tempo, tempo, and more tempo. Be it 45% run, 55% run, or even if it gets to point like the MAC championship game where they ran a lot more then normal. Tempo for us will equal wins.

Firs things first: make first downs and you get to dictate the tempo. Don't and it will be three quick plays and a punt, which is the opposite of what you want.

Firs things first: make first downs and you get to dictate the tempo. Don't and it will be three quick plays and a punt, which is the opposite of what you want.
So sometimes you get a quick three and out. So what?

So sometimes you get a quick three and out. So what?

It better be only sometimes. MacDonald tried to do uptempo without getting the first downs and it doesn't work. Successful plays + uptempo works. Unsuccessful plays + uptempo not only fails. It helps the other team because they get the ball back all the more quickly. Your plays aren't going to automatically work just because you run them fast.

It better be only sometimes. MacDonald tried to do uptempo without getting the first downs and it doesn't work. Successful plays + uptempo works. Unsuccessful plays + uptempo not only fails. It helps the other team because they get the ball back all the more quickly. Your plays aren't going to automatically work just because you run them fast.

You are comparing McDonald to Babers? That is funny. Not all up tempo offenses are create equally. Some of the ground and pound guys are going to need to let some things go.

You are really fighting this up tempo thing SWC

one of the fundamental differences i see with Babers' bubble screens is that the QB is trying to throw them as quickly as a person can humanly throw them. It's almost one motion.

Most bubble screens and particularly Mcfukits, were really slow developing and telegraphed. It taook so long for the ball to get out there an old lady in a walker can blow the play up.

Some of Babers' bubble screens will get blown up and that's ok. They're hoping to get 3/4 yards a clip, like a run (as Mcfukit preached) but they're also designed to keep the defenses honest and spread out. Get the ball out quick, and thrown correctly to the right spot, block them and they'll get 3/4 yards consistently. Some they'll break, some will get blown up.

would be interesting to chart a few of their games, and put percentages to the bubble screen success/failure rate and number of times run.

SWC75 said:

Three and outs are bad for the defense no matter what.

A three and out run fast is not that much faster than a three and out in a traditional one. It's worth the risk in the event you get rolling.

You are comparing McDonald to Babers? That is funny. Not all up tempo offenses are create equally. Some of the ground and pound guys are going to need to let some things go.

You are really fighting this up tempo thing SWC

I'm not fighting it. I'm saying that it requires movement of the football down the field, just like any other offense. Just getting plays off quickly is not enough. I consider Babers much superior to McDonald and anticipate that he will move the ball a lot more than McDonald did, which will allow our fast tempo to have the desired impact.

one of the fundamental differences i see with Babers' bubble screens is that the QB is trying to throw them as quickly as a person can humanly throw them. It's almost one motion.

Most bubble screens and particularly Mcfukits, were really slow developing and telegraphed. It taook so long for the ball to get out there an old lady in a walker can blow the play up.

Some of Babers' bubble screens will get blown up and that's ok. They're hoping to get 3/4 yards a clip, like a run (as Mcfukit preached) but they're also designed to keep the defenses honest and spread out. Get the ball out quick, and thrown correctly to the right spot, block them and they'll get 3/4 yards consistently. Some they'll break, some will get blown up.

would be interesting to chart a few of their games, and put percentages to the bubble screen success/failure rate and number of times run.
Dungey can actually make the throw too

mcf***it yes but most bubble screens should be quick decisions. maybe QBs aren't throwing it hard but it should be fast.

it's like bunting on a team that shifts (if anyone actually could bunt).

mcf***it yes but most bubble screens should be quick decisions. maybe QBs aren't throwing it hard but it should be fast.

it's like bunting on a team that shifts (if anyone actually could bunt).

Another Big Difference:
"Lots of teams use this packaged concept, but the difference is in the split of the Baylor receivers. The slot receiver catches the screen four yards past the line of scrimmage, whereas many teams throw that pass behind the line" -SB Nation Football Study Hall

This takes losing yards out of the equation, puts defensive pass interference in if the defense reads it and gets through early, and it makes DBs unlikely to get in early anyways because they have to back off and keep their cushion since WRs come off the line instead of side stepping back at the snap.

Another Big Difference:
"Lots of teams use this packaged concept, but the difference is in the split of the Baylor receivers. The slot receiver catches the screen four yards past the line of scrimmage, whereas many teams throw that pass behind the line" -SB Nation Football Study Hall

This takes losing yards out of the equation, puts defensive pass interference in if the defense reads it and gets through early, and it makes DBs unlikely to get in early anyways because they have to back off and keep their cushion since WRs come off the line instead of side stepping back at the snap.
i'm not sure that their split is the reason for that. their bubble screens have room to be thrown forward because teams are so terrified of their good WR. i'm not holding my breath for us to throw bubble screens forward