Desmond Howard and Recruitment by Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

Desmond Howard and Recruitment by Syracuse

SU2NASA

All American
Interesting note in ESPN's article about Desmond Howard's recruitment 25 years ago.
http://espn.go.com/colleges/michiga...ed-georgia-tech-yellow-jackets-desmond-howard

The contenders -- Syracuse

Howard: I was amazed at the history there, with Jim Brown, Ernie Davis. All the history about those running backs because I was a running back in high school. So Jim Brown, Floyd Little, Ernie Davis, wow, this place was magnificent.
Turnell Sims, Syracuse offensive lineman and Howard's official visit host: I showed him the whole thing with the Sugar Bowl and what we were doing and he got a chance to meet some people. He was very happy, smiling, enjoying himself. Took him out and enjoyed the town. I was up at Winding Ridge when he was recruited, so he came to the townhouses up there.

Howard: They had these little chalets, these little apartments on this hill where they stayed. That was really cool.
Sims: He went to the places that a lot of the players went to. We were on Marshall Street, hung out down there. Probably went to, not Varsity but Cosmo's. Late night Cosmo's Pizza, sat there for a little bit with one of my other fellow linemen talking to him. He hung in strong. I could tell he was tired from going out late that night but we got him home, got in bed. I think he slept on the couch.
Howard also referenced an "eye-opening experience" during this visit, but neither Howard nor Sims would elaborate when asked.
Sims: I knew he was a player at St. Joe's and [Syracuse] had big competition with Michigan. He had no qualms saying that.

Loved those lovely little chalets at Skytop. Lived in em for 4 years.

Loved those lovely little chalets at Skytop. Lived in em for 4 years.
I know. I can't believe they tore these down and put up the apartments they have there now.
achalet3.jpg

HUH...I know the dude that wrote that. Syracuse grad. No idea he was working of ESPN.com...well, the espn.com subsite thingy.

turnnell sims was the man that was a great o line they had turnell,gary mcummings,mike bernard,blake bednarz and john flannery

My kingdom to learn what that eye opening experience was.

Was this around the time DC was getting in fights with the football team???

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Wow I remember we were close to getting him and forgot all about that. Great find!

Little knock on current OL coach's father built into that article...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom